View Poll Results: Do you believe musical Kung-Fu is beneficial to CMA ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.79%
  • No

11 57.89%
  • Don't really care either way.

5 26.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical Kung Fu ? Is it just me ?

Now, what exactly do you want me to do with the eels?
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

The eels are just there to contrast with the body paint and pine cones. Have you worn one of these before?

[HANDS EULERFAN A THIMBLE WITH A STRING AROUND IT]

psst - eulerfan. It goes on your nose

I already have tons of old canvasses not suited to anything better than potty training, so go for it.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

You can tell CSN's done this before.

This might take a while. Shy bladder.

Could you please not watch?

Smile

"...And here you see the posture 'Snake Creeps Down'..."

[ok maybe "golden c0ck stands on one leg"]

Who's getting the grant??
    Last edited by ZIM; 02-07-2003 at 01:19 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Oh, for this sort of thing, you don't even need to look for the grants. People bring money to you for body paint, pinecones, eels, urine and canvas, and thimbles.

Smile

They just...*bring* you money?? Man, I need to get into this gig....
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

YOU'RE IN IT MAN!!!

YOU'RE THE NIPS, WITHOUT THE NIPS, WHAT DO WE GOT?!!!!

aside from Eulerfan with a thimble on her nose covered with pine cones and body paint and desparately trying to keep back two large slimy eels

WITHOUT YOU, THIS WOULDN'T BE ART!!!!

ALL HAIL THREE NIPS ZIM!!!

Talking Thats a keeper!

Lordy, but we've sidetracked this thread!

So back to "Kung Fu: the Musical", scored by Andrew Lloydd Webber, no doubt [or maybe No Doubt]
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Yep, and in something close to a record number of posts.

Let me just offer what I think to be an appropriate analogy - I don't try to view paintings and practice forms. I don't try to watch movies and practice forms. I don't try to read and practice forms. These all provide extraneous information that can only distract me from what I'm trying to do, and I wouldn't get good practice or good art appreciation, reading comprehension, or viewing experience out of such a strategy. Or, put more simply -

I'm trying to concentrate, here!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thumbs up

The only art I can think of where it really helps is Capoiera. Or Power Rangers-style things. Maybe this is where it comes from, maybe aerobics, too...
    I agree that it really doesn't fit.

The comedy was an attempt to lampoon the trend...sorta!
    Last edited by ZIM; 02-07-2003 at 04:34 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Not specifically a problem. However, the problem arises from the confusion of an ambiguous relation to other CMA. Since CMA is so loosely organized (nearly completely lacking in organization), there is not a clear distinction between musical forms competitions, and true martial arts practice.

I have respect for the athletes, but this is not martial arts because it specifically lacks the "martial" element. However, it is perceptually lumped together with all other forms of kung fu creating much confusion within the CMA community, and in the public view.

This problem is not isoloted to musical kung fu. Kung fu is so broad, rich, and varied, it is too big for most people to digest. Lumping together all of the pursuits that are based on CMA, and calling them collectively "kung fu" creates much confusion that hurts the MA community in general, and the CMA community specifically.

Some Tai Chi practicioners do practice forms to Music, more used as a pacing tool than anything.

It can also help the beginning student to relax.

There was a thread some time ago about it, do a search.
    Witty signature under construction.

I voted for it. here's why:

People like it. I don't see anything wrong with it. HOWEVER, I think in the Kwoon it's a different thing. No loud hoppi'n tunes wile your trying to work. We used to do that at one of my old Kung Fu schools, and I was really annoyed by it.

In the same note, I have a "Tai Chi" CD that has some music that is timed well for practicing the 37 move form. It sets a good mood for my students, and it keep them from hearing my knees crackling.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

This Saturday, I was at a demonstration in Phoenix.

While I improvised melodies on my violin, my student improvised kung fu moves using the basics I showed him.

Depending on the jing I wanted him to demonstrate, I would play in the way necessary to get it out. If I wanted him to go harder, I would put more accents. If I wanted him to slow down, I'd reduce my tempo. Meanwhile, my student would influence me by his physical actions. We were responding to each other.

As the musician, I didn't just sit there and play. I'd get up and do the moves while playing (within limits, of course). For example, we walked the Baguazhang circle against each other while I was playing melodies.

Afterwards, my student said that he enjoyed it very much. It helped him feel the different jings and liberated his movement. I'll probably add it to my regular classes at some point.