Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striking on the ground - Which styles?

Question Striking on the ground - Which styles?

Sorry, another MMA thread:
    Which styles do alot of striking on the ground?
    I'm a bit bewildered at all the different grappling arts avaible...
    As I understand it BJJ tends to be focused at tournament style grappling with little or no striking, apart from the occasional vale tudo class. How about Sambo? Submission Wrestling? The only one I know for sure is Shooto/Pancrase. But I'm thinking of going with BJJ anyway, it seems like a good art to start out with to get some basic ground game. Comments?

Ground Striking

Never has the myth of ground "fighting" been exposed more than
    the recent Ortiz-Shamrock match.

Ortiz is an animal, with crushing elbow smashes that are NOT in
    the repetoire of most ground "fighters", I have waited YEARS to
    see such effective striking while being in the guard.

Ortiz rules!

Hmmm... You didn't have to wait years. Vovchanchin, Kerr, and Coleman were doing it long before Tito.

And Shamrock is no guard master. Just because you put your legs around somebody's body doesn't mean you know what to do. Royce and Nogueira... now THAT'S good MMA guard play!

And BJJ may or may not emphasize strikes on the ground depending on who you train with. We do a fair share of vale tudo work, defending headbutts, elbows, knees and groin strikes as part of our grappling work.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

fukien dog boxing...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

you just like saying fukien dog boxing
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

LOL it just sounds too good...
    anyway it's a very impressive style as well, and one that seemed to fit the requirements of the topics
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    lol you guys

back into seriousness on the topic, i always heard of dog boxing but never seen any of it, whats it like?
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

When mounted, Shamrock tried to be as close as possible to Ortiz, so that Ortiz couldn't execute any clear strikes at him. And Shamrock kept moving all the time to not let Ortiz gain any good advantages - excellent stamina.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
    fukien dog boxing...
    lol, I knew that one was coming...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: Striking on the ground - Which styles?

Originally posted by Kinjit
    Sorry, another MMA thread:
    Which styles do alot of striking on the ground?
    I'm a bit bewildered at all the different grappling arts avaible...
    As I understand it BJJ tends to be focused at tournament style grappling with little or no striking, apart from the occasional vale tudo class. How about Sambo? Submission Wrestling? The only one I know for sure is Shooto/Pancrase. But I'm thinking of going with BJJ anyway, it seems like a good art to start out with to get some basic ground game. Comments?
    I don't think any of them emphasize strikes, unless you are at a scholl that advocates vale tudo, MMA, etc. Judo, for example has strikes, but since you can't use them in shiai, chances are they won't be emphasized in class.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Merryprankster

Royce and Nogueira... now THAT'S good MMA guard play!

Indeed!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Sho
    When mounted, Shamrock tried to be as close as possible to Ortiz, so that Ortiz couldn't execute any clear strikes at him. And Shamrock kept moving all the time to not let Ortiz gain any good advantages - excellent stamina.
    Can't say it did him much good!

Well, of course that's not entirely true...a lot of guys wouldn't have lasted a minute with Tito pounding away like that. Overall, Shamrock did a good job of avoiding sustained, savage pounding, but he did get caught a number of times...elbows with extra cheese.

Well, there is a Pancrase/Shooto gym here in town that trains vale-tudo style on the ground, including kicking a fallen opponent. So you are saying that it has less to do with any particular style than the focus of the particular gym? I mean, this stuff (kneeing elbowing etc on the ground) has to come from somewhere. Is it just something that evolved out of years of vale-tudo fighting? Btw, yes I have the filipino and indonesian angle covered.

Are you asking about striking in wrestling range, or striking in long range from a prone position? I do the latter but not the former.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Striking on the ground in grappling range, yes.