Thread: MA doesn't have to be difficult...

MA doesn't have to be difficult...

I keep revisiting that skills based approach desribed on the Mat and I keep coming up with the same conclusion. Martial Arts don't have to be difficult or secretive. As a matter of fact, they can be broken down to a few base principles that can be drilled to perfection leading to an endless variety of movements and possibilities. These can be applied easily on an unwilling opponent to great effect and greatly increase your chances of victory. Training and conditioning play a huge factor and there are several skills based drill sets that exist in other sports that are directly transferrable to the martial arts.

The traditional martial arts as we see them today, are overspecialized. At the same time, the competitive MMAs are really base styles, they do have some perceived problems-- They under-utilize striking and over-specialize in ground tactics-- but they are the closest thing that we have to a true Base Style of martial art. A true base style is the core of all martial arts. For kung fu, San Shou with ground fighting is the core. After one begins to understand the principles and actually applies the methodology of those styles under combat and gains some measures of success, they are then free to go about a process of specialization. This is where we get the great multitudes and divisions in martial arts. For example, some say high kicking is ineffective. It works for Cung Le, it worked for Bill Wallace, it worked for Benny Urquidez-- get the point.

What I'm trying to say with all of this is that it is possible (a lot of people are attempting this) to examine and find a core "truth" to CMA. Once that core truth is found, a person can drill it to perfection. It's finding those fundamental truths that's the problem. How would a person begin to dissect CMA to find the core and take into account all the gains and knowledge that has been discovered in the past couple of centuries? There needs to be a stripping away of the superstitions and inefficiancies, but not a total discard. Some of the more "hokey" stuff does have value, but not in the way that it's being taught and passed on.

Any thoughts? Have any of you started to dissect your styles?

I read that article too… skill based as opposed to technique based is not the favored teaching technique for MOST MA's… including competitive MA's… i guess the end result of either teaching methods is if the student can recognized his/her strengths and act accordingly... also a student (and coaches for that matter) shouldn’t feel intimidated by the traditions associated with MA's… if it works… use it… if it doesn’t… toss it… just because it wasn't part of the system as handed down doesn't mean it not effective… one thing i hate to see/hear is an instructor dissin' a student for doing something that isn't in the 'system'... especially when its working...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Martial Arts don't have to be difficult or secretive. As a matter of fact, they can be broken down to a few base principles that can be drilled to perfection leading to an endless variety of movements and possibilities.
    Yes!

The basics of a martial arts system incorporate the structure and fighting philosophy of that system; therefore every movement in the system's forms (or, in the case of a "pure fighting" school, its training drills) can be broken out and applied in a nearly endless number of situations.

The longest, most complicated-looking form is still, at its essence, a sequence of basic movements.

A fighter's successful attack or defense (or escape from a hold) is application of basic movements or combinations of movements - combined with tactics (which are learned through sparring - applying those basic moves).

You can know 100 forms and still look crappy when performing them, if you don't recognize their basic movements and practice them.

You can punch a heavy bag and practice choke holds 24/7 and still lose fights, if you don't understand why you practice them.

How would a person begin to dissect CMA to find the core and take into account all the gains and knowledge that has been discovered in the past couple of centuries?
    Practice, question, apply. But practice your art and learn as much as you can about it. How can you dissect the whole frog if you only have one of its legs?

OK, bad metaphor. But I agree with what you're saying, MightyB.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I think it holds true that good fighters have a few good techniques and a few tricks to pull when they get desperate, and don't need to call upon a huge list of options.

Shouldn't admit this here...

...but, my sifu had us doing some attack and defense type drills the other day and he pulled out this bit-chen counter sequence. I was like, "dam n". He then said, "Su Fan Che [he redoes the sequence] see. Su Fan Che".

----

...anyway. I'm trying to come up with a teaching and drilling model to get the most out of myself, and eventually, my students. I'm not totally traditional because too much has happened in performance training, plyometrics, and sports psychology that TCMA doesn't address. I want to get that into my training, and, maybe someday when I have a school, I'll have a methodology that brings success to my students.