Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you think the US is the greatest nation?

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    I personally take offense at the idea that the U.S. lives in a bubble of ignorance--no more so than any other place.
    Personally I take offense at the fact that everybody lives in a bubble of ignorance.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Red,

Just to augment your point, and mine, no greater percentage of U.S. citizens choose to live in ignorance than any other industrialized nation. This idea we're all ignorant of world affairs is silly--and as I said, no more ignorant than any other place.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Mat, I take offense to your offense.

My bubble of ignorance is at least equal to yours.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

you guys have both got bubble envy, I would stay away from LC.

MP - my post may not have been as clear as yours but that is basically what I am saying. Lately it seems there are an aweful lot of opinions on what the US is, but all of it doesn't seem to be anything more then any other country or people.

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Red,

Just to augment your point, and mine, no greater percentage of U.S. citizens choose to live in ignorance than any other industrialized nation. This idea we're all ignorant of world affairs is silly--and as I said, no more ignorant than any other place.
    Mmmm-huh...

But your bubble of ignorance is still nowhere near mine... I always thought USA was an STD...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I think people's level of ignorance in america is voluntary.
    -Mr.Binx

"I think therefore I think I am."

Mr. Binx, levels of ignorance ARE voluntary. You don't have to be ignorant if you don't want to. The idea that the United States' population is collectively ignorant is a fallacy if you are defining that ignorance comparitively (ie, we are more ignorant than citizens of country 'x'").

Being willfully ignorant seems to be a human, not U.S. condition.

"Being willfully ignorant seems to be a human, not U.S. condition."

but it makes a good argument when you want to feel better about not being an american

A nation is made of the summ of it's individuals but also on it's laws and respect of good principles of life.
    Military power is just an instrument that can be used for good or bad.
    America should not fall for the idea that say "I can beat you so,I'm the greatest!"

We don't hide, adore and protect child molestors like the french.
    Regards

Black Jack, that was just lame...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

CP, allow me. Excuse me if my spelling is atrocious.

Black Jack
    Va te faire foutre! Va
    te faire encouler! uahehuaeh!
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

What the hell is BJ talking about?

I believe it's called intolerance. I'm sure he has an example to support his sweeping generalization. But that doesn't make it anything other than a sweeping generalization.

Sometimes I think we bandy the word 'troll' about too much. We should save it for when it really, really fits.

sometimes

I think that
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne