Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valentine's Day, Harlequin's Day

Valentine's Day, Harlequin's Day

This isn't a typical Valentine's Day rant.

It's become cliche to rant about Valentine's Day. "It's just invented by Hallmark" "It cheapens real feeling; it's one day to treat your loved one like you should be treating them /every/ day"

That's true. But then, how many of us really /do/ treat our loved ones like that every day? How many of us, each and every day, tell our SO's exactly how much they mean to us and how glad we are they're in our lives?

I thought not. Maybe, over-commercialized, hyped, and sickly-sweet as it is, we could use a day to remind us of what we should be doing year-round.

But there's another side to this, and that's our society's tendency to stifle negativity. Showing your love or happiness is socially acceptable (as long as you're not /too/ enthusiastic). But showing negative emotion? Expressing the fact that you're angry, or depressed, or feeling bad? No, that just "brings people down". Bottle that **** up, tuck it away, brood over it in private. No one wants to deal with negativity. It's a little too real; it reminds them that the world isn't perfect, that even when their lives are going well, there's people dying, people starving, people raping and killing, people whose lives are spiralling downwards. We don't like to think about that. We'd rather all problems be solved in a half-hour, with commercial breaks to get snacks, and nothing unpleasant to ever last for long.

Well, negativity is a fact of life. Hate is a human emotion, and it's just as important as love. And maybe we need a day to remind us of /that/, too.

So, what do you hate? And I don't mean the weak dislike that the word's come to be used for "Oh, I /hate/ it when they're out of cappucino" "Oh, I /hate/ it when I have to pump my own gas". None of that. What makes you boil with rage? What makes you so angry you can't see straight? What genuinely infuriates you, makes you want to grab someone by the shirt and scream in their face, makes you want to batter away with your fists until your arms are tired? What do you despise?

Tell us about it. Write it down. Get that hate firmly fixed in your head, and write every thought you have about it, every reason that it fills you with anger, every loathsome detail, until you can't think of a single thing more to say about it. Write until you can't write any more. Spit all your bile onto the page, or screen, and fall back in your chair, empty and released.

Feels good, doesn't it?

Congratulations. You've just celebrated St. Harlequin's Day.

February 15th: A Day of Hate. Won't you join me?
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

I hate whatever the State tells me to hate.

strike!

Thumbs up

Uneducation-
    Hateful and cynical ppl (or shall I say,the approach)
    Lack of understanding being compensated by defensive passive agressivenes and opinions being expressed as truth.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

A valentine for Shaolin Deadheads only

Bucket, Aiko, Lightning, Supplication, Lucy (w/Sammy Hagar), Hard to Handle (w/ Warren and Joan Osbourne), Casey (J), Cumberland (w/Michael Kang of String Cheese), Sugaree (J)

Rain, Sittin on Top of the World (M), LSD (J), Cross-Eyed, Help, Slipknot, Lovelight (JWM), Franklin's (JWM)

E: GDTRFB (J) Not Fade Away (JWM)

Not actually sure about Lazy/Sup - I was chatting up Julia Butterfly backstage at the time and stole that off someone elses list. Bucket Aiko was a strong opening, then the boys launched with Hagar. 1st set was a mind blower. It was great to be in the Warfield again. Can't wait 'til spring tour, or any tour for that matter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, now I understand why everyone calls you a hippie.

peace & love

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thank you for the memories (doors of perception)

I was d'ere, mon...

Dang, I can't believe I missed that story when it came out. Those were some pivotal periods in my life...
    Last edited by herb ox; 02-28-2003 at 07:41 PM.

Hagar and the Dead

All I can say is that Sammy rocked Loose Lucy. That was one of the top LL's I have ever heard.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy Valentine

Happy Valentine to all the women in the art!

Back at you, Joy.
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Ahh, I spent a lonly V-day at the movies.

Went and saw House of Flying Daggers, though. Nice love story.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I slow danced to Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me".

Am no dancer--- ends up with wing chun footwork- often enough.

Originally posted by Vajramusti
    I slow danced to Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me".

Am no dancer--- ends up with wing chun footwork- often enough.
    i can see it know Joy and the Jong on wheels spinning to candle light
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Originally posted by Ernie
    i can see it know Joy and the Jong on wheels spinning to candle light
    I was affraid for a second!...

Originally posted by old jong
    I was affraid for a second!...
    as you should be
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com