Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
That is actually really good for a single take sequence.

Watched the first episode last night.
Not bad at all.

The fighting is, at best, ok.
It is dark so I am thinking it is either to give the "dark and dreary" feel or to hide the lack of MA skill BUT since the little bits we see show SOME skill, I think it is for the ambiance.
The only have a couple of issues:
1) Matt gets hit ( quite a bit) in his fights BUT never shows any signs the day after.
2) Daredevil from the comics has very good MA skills from the get go and typically handles himself far above and beyond the average hoodlum and this one, while he can handle himself, seems to do it out of sheer "will power", butmaybe that is what they are going for.
If I remember right, this scene was the end of 2nd episode. I won't spoil it, but he does get beat up a good bit, and it shows for the most part. He was found nearly dead at the beginning of this episode. That said, it is still a super hero show, so he still has to be him even if suffering things most wouldn't leave bed over. And this episode introduced another hydrid character crossover that is sort of significant (and why he is still getting about).

On the 2nd point, depends on the writer really. Daredevil has gone from sci-fi to dark anti-hero depending on who did the writing. I think they are going for a blend of altruistic, street level hero with the dark atmosphere of abused kid anti-hero daredevil world.

I like that the scene showed his hands all wrapped up almost glove thickness and the slugging brawler take of that fight scene, given the episode's look into his childhood with his boxer father was a prominent theme.

So far I like this better than Arrow, which also tries to do the street level hero thing. But this manages to pull off gritty better while Arrow comes off just cheesy, even removing that the Arrow actor would be better off portraying a statue rather than anyone with...lines...or facial expressions. DC needs to up their game because Marvel may now be beating them out on Netflix as well.