Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DareDevil

teaser for the trailer

i guess we'll have to revisit this tomorrow...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

All episodes drop April 10

Another Netflix binge imminent...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anything would be better than that crap Assfleck did, BUT this one actually looks like it has potential.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

New details on Netflix's Daredevil involving The Owl, Gladiator & more Read more at h

JoBlo Says . . .
    Brazilian website Omelete got a chance to visit the Daredevil set back in October of last year, and there's some interesting new details on the Netflix series in the site's report. Although it is in Portuguese and Google translate isn't always super accurate, most of the report makes sense.

Apparently Melvin Potter will have a big role on the show, and if you're familiar with the comics you know that Potter is a former supervillain turned Daredevil alley who goes by the name Gladiator. One of the sets the site saw was Melvin Potter's workshop, and Michael Jortner (part of the production team) revealed a few things about how the character will be used on the series. Jortner says Potter is "a very technical guy who develops many superhero uniforms, but mostly villains, with different characteristics and weapons" and he has created a kevlar suit for Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin/Wilson Fisk.

Jortner also says we will see Potter working on armored cars for Fisk, and "other characters in the Marvel Universe" will appear on the series.The site went on to describe a scene being filmed featuring Wilson Fisk talking to Leland Owlsley/The Owl (Bob Gunton), who will be Fisk's financial advisory on the show.

Omelete also spoke with costume designer Stephanie Maslansky, and she says Daredevil and Kingpin have the same goal, telling the site that "Matt Murdock and Wilson Fisk want to turn the Hell's Kitchen in a better place to live." Maslansky described Fisk as "a guy who has a heart and a past" and says he "is a deep and multi-layered character." In addition, production designer Loren Weeks says Daredevil's physical abilities are incredible, but still grounded in reality. What are your thoughts on these new Daredevil details?

Read more at http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/new-...1kgP5lzqQLd.99

new trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice trailer.

Greetings,

For me, the best villain that Daredevil ever facer was Starr Saxon/Mr Fear. He was the only one who could get into Daredevil's head and completely fukkkk with him. And he had that ability that from the beginning, which is quite unlike other villains like The Joker whose mental abilities were later planted and evolved, keeping in step with a maturing readership. The clashes between the two could go on for more than one season. The most recent character that approaches Starr Saxon, in terms of intense energetic presence, would be that of Gustav Fring in "Breaking Bad", brought forth by Giancarlo Esposito.

To bring that character to life, you need excellent writers who can create brilliant dialogue and an incredibly strong actor who can give his lines the epicness they deserve.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-12-2015 at 11:38 AM.

This Friday

4/06/2015 @ 10:01AM 6,987 views
    'Marvel's Daredevil' Review: Great For Marvel, Even Better For Netflix
    Merrill Barr Contributor

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a blank canvass upon which many things can be drawn. If you want to give it a mega tent-pole alien invasion film, you can. If you want to give it a broadcast spy series, you can. If you want to give it a 1940s set period piece, you can. There are no restrictions on the ways the MCU can be portrayed because, at its core, everyone knows that events intertwine – so there’s no need to worry about making visual styles line-up. Because of this, it’s no surprise Marvel has found itself capable of pulling off a “dark” crime-drama in the first of its new Netflix NFLX +1.96% slate, Daredevil.

Due to the events of The Avengers, New York City is on the rebound, and the re-construction has given rise to opportunities all over the city. However, there are no more greater opportunities to be found than in Hell’s Kitchen. Seeing this, the criminal element has begun moving in, in order to reap the benefits of a post-Battle of New York world. Thankfully for the neighborhood, though, this criminal onslaught doesn’t sit well with one man in particular, the blind attorney, Matt Murdock.

It would be wrong to say it’s surprising Daredevil is as good as it is because it isn’t. Going “dark” is something Marvel has wanted to do for a while now, but in the world of big budget PG-13 cinema there’s only so far you can push the envelope. You can’t get super violent or “mature.” You really can’t do it on broadcast television either. To an extent, you must remain somewhat family friendly. The reason Daredevil’s so enjoyable in its “lack of jokes” domineer is because it feels like a necessary departure from Marvel in order for it to expand its ever growing universe.

However, while Daredevil is dark and mature, it’s not pretentious. Daredevil isn’t HBO adult, it’s TNT adult. Sure, there’s the occasional swear word – though not the big F, the occasional bone break and occasional blood splatter, but this isn’t a super “adult” series. In cinema, the only reason Daredevil would get an R is because blood actually accompanies its violence. In no way does Daredevil compete with the likes of Game of Thrones, Dexter or Banshee in terms of a TV-MA rating. But, while this is great for Marvel, it’s even better for Netflix.

Since its original content beginnings, Netflix has only been interested in competing against the entities it thought were its competition: HBO, Showtime and the rest of premium cable. Netflix wasn’t interested in making dramas that could appear on basic cable because that wasn’t the “hip” thing to do. A Netflix show had to have F-bombs, just like an HBO show. A Netflix show had to have explicitly nudity and sex, just like a Showtime show. But Daredevil has little of either. This is good because it proves Netflix is willing to deliver series meant solely to entertain if given the right circumstances.

Of course the content of Daredevil probably has more to do with Marvel not wanting to push too far than it does with Netflix wanting to pull back, but the result is ultimately the same. Netflix will now have an excuse to do more popcorn fare thanks to its Marvel slate. If it wants to do an action/adventure series in the future, no one will question. If it wants to do a procedural, no one will judge. A step into pulp will no longer be viewed as a negative for Netflix should they choose to go there, it will just be viewed as another step into expansion for the company.

No one’s going to give Dardevil a major Emmy award for what it delivers, and that’s okay, no one’s going to give Age of Ultron a major Oscar either. Daredevil is precisely as excellent as everyone hoped it would be, but that doesn’t mean all the good it does will only affect the kind of projects Marvel can do in the future. Thanks to Daredevil, its network will benefit as well, and that alone is reason to celebrate its existence.

Daredevil premieres Friday, April 10th on Netflix.
    I should start a thread here on blind martial artists...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We'll have something for you here for tomorrow...stay tuned.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Start binging

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still haven't started watching this yet....

....but Vanity Fair has...

A Non-Caped Crusader April 13, 2015 5:04 pm
    How Daredevil Became Marvel’s Biggest Triumph Yet

by Joanna Robinson

Netflix and Marvel promised that Daredevil, a new series based on the popular comic-book character, would be something different. But, after watching the 13 episodes that debuted over the weekend, it’s genuinely impressive how well they committed to that promise, and genuinely exciting how that “something different” might herald a whole new era of comic-book appreciation.

Plunged “deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York,” Daredevil—the first in a planned four-part “Defenders” series—is as far away as you can get from the talking raccoons, green rage monsters, and hammer-toting Norse gods who have defined the wildly successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. The grim, violent world inhabited by Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) and his foes has more in common with that of The Wire and True Detective than it does Captain America or Iron Man—unlike ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., it’s departing from the Marvel house style in a way that might pique the interest of those who still have no idea what the Tesseract is. Here’s how Daredevil managed to emerge from the overcrowded superhero scrum as something wholly new, grounded, and groundbreaking.

Big Battles Have Big Consequences: ] Man of Steel may have faced all the pushback for the way it beat up New York City in the final fight between Superman and General Zod, but The Avengers broke the windows of Grand Central first—and Daredevil directly deals with what happened next. The 9/11 parallels are clear (as they were in Iron Man 3), with references to “half of New York being destroyed.” But there is definitely a Man of Steel jab or two when a scheming land developer says: “Heroes and their consequences are why we have our current opportunities. . . . Every time one of these guys punches someone through a building our margins go up three percent.”

That premise alone does so much to bring Daredevil out of the rarified air that superheroes breathe and down into the everyday lives of those who suffer even in the aftermath of a rescue. It not only gives very real stakes to this show but, retroactively, to every Marvel property that has come before it.

It Turns an Origin Story Back into Character Development: Daredevil may have all the trappings of a stereotypical superhero story (a young kid gets exposed to a radioactive substance, loses a parent, and, before you can say Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne, commits himself to a life of vigilante justice), but, thanks in large part to the grounded nature of the comics themselves, this show manages to tell Matt Murdock’s journey as an actual human story first. Sure, we find out how Matt went blind, lost a parent, and learned parkour. But only eventually, slowly, and over the span of 13 episodes. And for all his powers (he can tell if you’re lying by your heartbeat!), Matt Murdock is very much a mortal. In this show, when people fall off buildings, their bones break. By the second episode, Murdock has collapsed a lung. There is an entire character—Rosario Dawson’s fantastic nurse Claire Temple—devoted to patching our hero up when he falls apart. (Thank goodness, this being a nuanced show, that’s not all she does.) Here is a man breaking and battering his body over and over in the desperate attempt to protect those he loves.

Finally: A Vulnerable Villain: And as well-rounded and meticulously developed as Murdock is, Vincent D’Onofrio’s Wilson Fisk may be an even rarer bird. Here’s a psychotic villain you’re somehow rooting for. D’Onofrio has made a career out of skating the razor’s edge between vulnerability and menace, and his Fisk is no exception. We first meet Fisk standing in front of a painting contemplating his own loneliness, and we get to know him through the eyes of Vanessa, the art gallery owner he sets his eye on. By meeting Wilson Fisk, awkward dinner date, before we meet Wilson Fisk, terrifying and violent power broker, the show captures our sympathies. Once again, that’s thanks in large part to D’Onofrio’s unique gift.

For all their virtues, comic-book villains are normally an unrelatable breed, and the more cartoonish ones like Thanos, Ronan, Malekith, the Red Skull, etc., etc., etc. are oftentimes the weakest links in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Tom Hiddleston’s Loki comes close to nuance thanks to his “father always did like you best” motivation, and I look forward to what DC’s Jesse Eisenberg does with Lex Luthor. But, so far, Wilson Fisk is without an easy parallel in the realm of filmed comic-book villain. Daredevil makes the battle less about the absolutes of good vs. evil and more about the shades of gray, and cuts closer to that theme than Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy ever did.

Understanding the Visual Language of Comics: Daredevil is a dark show, and I don’t just mean content-wise. Nearly every shot is filled with inky shadows. That’s the most brilliant way Daredevil manages to look like a comic book without resorting to hackneyed canted angles or gimmicky multiple-pane compositions. (Sorry, Ang Lee!) Daredevil uses the natural setting of a bombed out Hell’s Kitchen to lean into the visual language of the source material. Sometimes the show even moves outside the shadows (like in this great shot of Deborah Ann Woll caught in the glare of a digital billboard) to create its stunning portraits. Marvel gets knocked a lot for its uninteresting visuals, whereas DC directors like Nolan and Snyder get a lot closer to capturing the artistic flair of the comic world. And while over-the-top visual feasts like Frank Miller’s Sin City or Snyder’s 300 are obviously reaching for pop-art visuals, none of their ilk has ever found the balance between real-world drama and dramatic composition like Daredevil.

It’s Still Connected: For all the ways Daredevil is different from the other Marvel properties, it makes sure we know it’s still connected—but without resorting to the unrelentingly hokey foreshadowing that has made Fox’s Gotham such a clunker of a show. Daredevil uses a feather-light touch. “If you had an iron suit or a magic hammer” or “I could put wings on my head but that doesn’t make me Captain America,” is about as much as this show bothers to remind you that Tony Stark’s Avengers tower is just a subway ride away.

The Perfect Gateway Drug: And that’s why Daredevil has such an important new part to play in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The staggering box-office receipts alone will tell you that Marvel doesn’t need help recruiting fans. But there are still holdouts, people who think comic-book properties are too silly or visually flat to watch. That’s where Daredevil comes in. Silly, it’s not. Visually uninteresting? Never. This is the show you can use to hook your skeptical friend or loved one. This is a show that promises grit and grounded stakes and delivers in a way other popular comic-book shows like Arrow, The Flash, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Gotham never have. And that’s O.K., we need sentient gorillas and earthquake girls on our TVs, too. But Daredevil has managed to become something completely unique, and in a pop-culture landscape stuffed to the gills with comic-book reboots. That right there is a superheroic feat.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Haven't had the time to watch it yet but I am MOST definitely going to.

Thie 'single take' fight scene they've been boasting about

I'm not overly impressed. The scene is dark so the precision of the choreography is lost. There are several camera pans to inanimate frames where the scene could easily be cut and spliced. Daredevil goes out of shot several times, allowing for fresh stuntmen (easily cloaked with the mask) to replace each other.

Nevertheless, I'll probably tune in at some point. I've been busy too, s_r. I'm kind of hoping that someone will cherry-pick the best episodes (choreographically speaking) so I can just watch those.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That is actually really good for a single take sequence.

Watched the first episode last night.
    Not bad at all.

The fighting is, at best, ok.
    It is dark so I am thinking it is either to give the "dark and dreary" feel or to hide the lack of MA skill BUT since the little bits we see show SOME skill, I think it is for the ambiance.
    The only have a couple of issues:
    1) Matt gets hit ( quite a bit) in his fights BUT never shows any signs the day after.
    2) Daredevil from the comics has very good MA skills from the get go and typically handles himself far above and beyond the average hoodlum and this one, while he can handle himself, seems to do it out of sheer "will power", butmaybe that is what they are going for.

Still haven't watched but hope to start this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is actually really good for a single take sequence.
    True, true. I didn't mean to come off overly critical. You know how us fight choreography snobs can be.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips