Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DareDevil

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is actually really good for a single take sequence.

Watched the first episode last night.
    Not bad at all.

The fighting is, at best, ok.
    It is dark so I am thinking it is either to give the "dark and dreary" feel or to hide the lack of MA skill BUT since the little bits we see show SOME skill, I think it is for the ambiance.
    The only have a couple of issues:
    1) Matt gets hit ( quite a bit) in his fights BUT never shows any signs the day after.
    2) Daredevil from the comics has very good MA skills from the get go and typically handles himself far above and beyond the average hoodlum and this one, while he can handle himself, seems to do it out of sheer "will power", butmaybe that is what they are going for.
    If I remember right, this scene was the end of 2nd episode. I won't spoil it, but he does get beat up a good bit, and it shows for the most part. He was found nearly dead at the beginning of this episode. That said, it is still a super hero show, so he still has to be him even if suffering things most wouldn't leave bed over. And this episode introduced another hydrid character crossover that is sort of significant (and why he is still getting about).

On the 2nd point, depends on the writer really. Daredevil has gone from sci-fi to dark anti-hero depending on who did the writing. I think they are going for a blend of altruistic, street level hero with the dark atmosphere of abused kid anti-hero daredevil world.

I like that the scene showed his hands all wrapped up almost glove thickness and the slugging brawler take of that fight scene, given the episode's look into his childhood with his boxer father was a prominent theme.

So far I like this better than Arrow, which also tries to do the street level hero thing. But this manages to pull off gritty better while Arrow comes off just cheesy, even removing that the Arrow actor would be better off portraying a statue rather than anyone with...lines...or facial expressions. DC needs to up their game because Marvel may now be beating them out on Netflix as well.

I am glad they are showing the results of his altercations, it is part of his character.

As for DC, I had some hope after The Man of Steel, but after they announced Assfleck as Batman, that hope died quickly.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Into the Ring - Stick (almost)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    . . . And this episode introduced another hydrid character crossover that is sort of significant (and why he is still getting about).

On the 2nd point, depends on the writer really. Daredevil has gone from sci-fi to dark anti-hero depending on who did the writing. I think they are going for a blend of altruistic, street level hero with the dark atmosphere of abused kid anti-hero daredevil world.

I like that the scene showed his hands all wrapped up almost glove thickness and the slugging brawler take of that fight scene, given the episode's look into his childhood with his boxer father was a prominent theme.

So far I like this better than Arrow, which also tries to do the street level hero thing. But this manages to pull off gritty better while Arrow comes off just cheesy, even removing that the Arrow actor would be better off portraying a statue rather than anyone with...lines...or facial expressions. DC needs to up their game because Marvel may now be beating them out on Netflix as well.
    Been watching what amounts to an episode and a half a night (+/-) of Daredevil and that's put me about half way through the season. Each episode has had a strong visual identity an it's episodic nature really plays to the strength of it's comics origin. At the same time it has avoided the shot-for-shot approach of adaptations such as 300 or WATCHMEN.

Is Night Nurse so well known a character that mentioning her appearance is Spoilerish? I'm encouraged that she will play a recurring role as the street level super-heroics take shape. Along those lines there are still plenty of story lines to explore before he's flipping a coin against The Grandmaster or stalking the streets as Matt Murdock's soul trapped in an escaped demon-from-hell's body.

The hand-wraps are straight out of Frank Miller's work, he's got his fingerprints all over this series. However, the unsung hero in this series is Bill Sienkiewicz, his collaboration with Miller are must-reads. I suspect there were some production designers thinking about Sienkiewicz while designing those Wilson/Vanessa scenes, the art gallery, the restaurants, each scene with Ayelet Zurer is great to watch. TURK is another Miller character who I have high hopes for. Even Foggy Nelson makes for a nice balance to those grimy alleys and underground tunnels, and I'm worried for Karen Page.

The show gets a little grizzly at points. "The Russians" reminded me more THE PUNISHER adversaries, which has me wondering if Frank Castle will pay a visit to Hell's Kitchen in a subsequent episode. More likely we'll face the inevitable question of WHO WILL PLAY ELECTRA?

Only saw part of the STICK episode so far but I've been hoping someone would cast Scott Glenn in this role since his appearance in SUCKER PUNCH.

Two things from the show I don't recall from the comics
    1. Seeing the world as though it's on fire (an okay thing).
    2. Matt stitching his father up after fights, not sure I ever read such a reference, it's a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu View Post
    Is (deleted )so well known a character that mentioning her appearance is Spoilerish? I'm encouraged that she will play a recurring role as the street level super-heroics take shape.
    Me too. And I don't know, comics are pretty mainstream these days. I figure not risk it.

and I'm worried for Karen Page.
    Yeah, that would be pretty jarring. Its one thing in a comic but on video people are used to the thought that no matter how bad it might seem, the good will always win in the end. But her's is a different issue and one the viewer can't escape from since its such a present problem in reality. If they play that out with her, it would certainly make Arrow's rich boy and Thea's "You're not my real daddy" issues seem highschoolish.

Ep 2 hallway fight

April 27 2015 8:32 AM
    How That Remarkable Single-Take Fight Scene on Daredevil Came Together
    By E. Alex Jung

The Daredevil single-take fight scene.

Still taken from the video.

This article originally appeared in Vulture.

The final scene of Daredevil's second episode ends with a brutal, five-and-a-half minute single take that encapsulates much of the show’s ambition: dark, painfully realistic, and unrelenting in its tone. Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox), clad in all black with rope wrapped around his knuckles, arrives at a Russian hideout where they’re holding a trafficking victim captive, a little boy. In the fight scene that unfolds, the camera slowly moves back and forth along the hallway like a disinterested observer as Murdock lays the beatdown on a swarm of Russian mobsters—a balletic choreography of blows, punishing in its sound design.

“He's tired, he's beat, but he's got a will that just keeps going, regardless of what pain he's in,” said Philip Silvera, the fight and stunt coordinator for the series. You might recognize Silvera's work in Thor: The Dark World, The Dark Knight Rises, and the leaked Deadpool footage that went viral last year. He modeled Daredevil’s fighting style so that it was like that of a seasoned MMA fighter, mixing Matt’s lineage as the son of Battlin’ Jack Murdock, along with his martial arts training by his mentor, Stick. “He's learned everything from wing chun to trapping to silat to kali,” said Silvera. “We wanted to put all those things into the stew and create his own unique style and give him his own flavor.”

And in case you’re wondering, yes, that was “absolutely” a single take. “Phil Abraham [the director] really wanted the purity of the one shot, and in doing that, we found a great place for the show,” he said. “We were able to find this very real world weight for these characters. This, I’m very tired, but I’m pushing through this pain. I can take punishment, and I can give it back.”

The scene came together over two days. When it came time to shoot, they spent the first half of the day blocking the choreography with cinematographer Matt Lloyd to make sure the camera movements and the action were in full synchronization. “The second half of the day was just going for it full tilt,” said Silvera. “In that particular fight, we had over 105 fight beats. Normally, on any given cut on a film, you'll get three or four beats before you see a cut. We had guys coming at him from multiple angles at the same time—never just one guy at a time.” They finally found the perfect shot around the tenth or twelfth take." While Silvera didn't share how much of the scene Cox did compared to the stunt doubles, he said, “Those guys would kill themselves each and every take—from Charlie to the stunt performers to the stunt double. They put their all into that scene, and it came out beautiful.”

The scene drew from a number of influences, including the infamous hallway fight scene from Oldboy. “That scene is definitely influenced by Oldboy,” said Silvera. “But we brought it to somewhere different.” The point of the fight, though, is to bring together plot, character, and tone. “Every stunt we do, there has to be a reason for it, an emotional content, and a logic to why we're doing certain things,” said Silvera. “That's what you see in his character as he's fighting: As tired as he is, he won't give up, he won't go down. He's like Rocky in that last round.”
    Whatev. It was a decent fight scene but they needed to light it better. I wouldn't equate it to Oldboy, but then again, I haven't seen Oldboy in years.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

My wife and I liked the show, but honestly the fight scenes were too drawn out and a tad bit unrealistic for such an average superhero.

I still haven't finished this. I'm stuck about halfway through.

Design Sifu tells me there will be ninjas. So I'll get there eventually. I guess I should finish it before season 2 comes around.

Rosario Dawson Returning for Season 2 of Marvel’s Daredevil
    BY SPENCER PERRY ON MAY 8, 2015

Marvel Entertainment has announced today that not only will Rosario Dawson return for the second season of “Marvel’s Daredevil” but that her new deal will also allow her to appear across all of their other Netflix shows, including “A.K.A. Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist.”

“After working with Rosario in the first season, we knew instantly that we had to have her back for our second,” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel TV Jeph Loeb. “Claire Temple proved a fan favorite in Season 1, and we can’t wait for fans to see all the plans we have for her next.”

Season two of “Marvel’s Daredevil” will premiere on Netflix in 2016 along with “Marvel’s Luke Cage.” “Marvel’s A.K.A. Jessica Jones” will debut on the platform later this year.

Series showrunner Steven DeKnight has stepped down for the second season with writers Doug Petrie (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “American Horror Story”) and Marco Ramirez (“Sons of Anarchy”) both set to replace him as co-showrunners. Drew Goddard, Petrie and Ramirez will serve as executive producers for season two alongside Jeph Loeb.

“Marvel’s Daredevil” also stars Charlie Cox (Matt Murdock), Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page), Elden Henson (Foggy Nelson), Bob Gunton (Leland Owlsely aka The Owl), Vondie Curtis Hall (Ben Urich), Toby Leonard Moore (Wesley, Wilson Fisk’s right hand man), Ayelet Zurer (Vanessa Fisk), and Vincent D’Onofrio (Wilson Fisk). The series follows the journey of Matt Murdock, who was blinded as a young boy but imbued with extraordinary senses, now fighting against injustice by day as a lawyer, and by night as the super hero Daredevil in modern day Hell’s Kitchen, New York City.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Elektra!

Possible Elektra Auditions For Season 2 Of Netflix's Daredevil 7
    By Jay Jayson
    05/26/2015

Two audition videos for the second season of Netflix's Daredevil were posted today on Vimeo, then deleted. They were of two women with exotic features reading for the same part, which we believe is Elektra Natchios.

She's the ninja assassin with ties to The Hand, created by Frank Miller in Daredevil #168 in 1981, who uses twin sais as her signature weapons. She became a love interest for Matt Murdock, but was torn between her desire to be with Matt and her violent lifestyle.

The actresses auditioning read two scenes. One involved Elektra intimidating some sort of thug and the second scene is Elektra flirting with Matt Murdock back in college. You'll remember from the first season of Daredevil that Foggy teases Matt his gorgeous, Greek college flame. That would probably be Elektra.

Below is a transcription of dialogue performed in the videos before they were removed.

---------

Elektra: Easy. No moving. No talking. Right now we play a game called, "This is not a conversation." Sit on the bed.

Thug: Please, my pills, can I get them?

Elektra: The .38's gone. So is the knife you stashed under the pillow. Anything else I should know about?

Thug: I'm getting on a plane just like you said. Tickets on the counter.

Elektra: I saw, window seat and everything.

Thug: I told you before, you and your partner, it was a long time ago but...

Elektra: (makes a threatening move with weapon)

Thug: I'm sorry. I'm doing everything you told me to do. I'm leaving behind my whole operation.

Elektra: And when you get to wherever you're going on, I assume you set up shop doing the same sh*t you did here.

Thug: No.

Elektra: Hurting innocent people all because you're too lazy to get rich the hard way.

Thug: What the hell do you want from me?

Elektra: My partner was a good kid and became a hell of a grown up. But he had goodness in him, once upon a time. The way he tells it, he comes home one night and heard a blow dryer in the bathroom. Dinner's on the table. He waits a second, but he's starving - he's eats alone. Assumes she'll be out any minute - she'll be mad, but she'll understand. Always does. He's a good son. He goes to find her, blow dryer still on and there she is - brains on the god **** mirror!

Thug: Your partner, that woman was his mother? And he doesn't even know you're here, does he?

Elektra: Sometimes it is better off not knowing.

Thug: I'm old man, I don't have much time. I'll give you everything.

Elektra: There is no version of this where you walk out that door.

Thug: Please, lady.

Elektra: Call me that again and I'll cut your tongue out.

Thug: You promised you wouldn't kill me.

Elektra: He said he wouldn't kill you, but me, I never had goodness in me. (slow stabbing motion)

-----------------

Elektra: Nice shoes, wingtips, good call. Tie them yourself?

Matt Murdock: How did you know?

Elektra: You don't look like a tough read.

Matt Murdock: You never know I could surprise you.

Elektra: Doubt it.

Matt Murdock: Give it a try.

Elektra: Okay, you drink Macallan because you're afraid beer would give you a frat boy vibe. You've never been inside a fraternity house. You weren't even a boy scout. There is no club you would join because it would choke the air from your lungs. You'd suffocate. Shall I go on?

Matt Murdock: Please do.

Elektra: Now you think we're flirting. Your mind's racing. You're wondering what piece of wit you can think of next. Know what your problem is? You're pretty, but dumb. Too dumb to know the game is already over and you lost before you stepped to the plate.

Matt Murdock: You got that all from a pair of wingtips?

Elektra: Quick study.

Matt Murdock: You know what I think?

Elektra: Tell me.

Matt Murdock: You're bored. Bored of the parties, the faculties, all of it.

Elektra: And I need just the right bad boy to take me away from all this. Is that it?

Matt Murdock: Basically.

Elektra: Know something, you're right. (takes drink and drinks it) Let's go.

It’s time to let the devil out. Marvel’s Daredevil is here to clean up the streets of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Lawyer by day, street-level hero by night, Matt Murdock is on a mission to make his city a better place against an underground terror within the city.

A second season of Netflix's Daredevil will arrive in 2016!
    I still haven't finished the first season...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So far, so good.

My wife and I watched the series and so far have liked what we've seen. Looking forward to season two and what may or may not come.

srsly?

Exclusive: Daredevil May Have Found Its Bullseye
    Jun. 4.15 – by Kellvin Chavez

According to a trusted source at Marvel's new TV production offices, Jason Statham - star of The Transporter film franchise, this year's Furious 7, and this summer's action comedy Spy - is being pursued to play Bullseye in season 2 of Marvel's Daredevil Netflix series. It is not yet confirmed as reps would not give me a call back.

This isn't Statham's first dance with Daredevil. Just before the rights for the character reverted back to Marvel, he was said to be in talks to appear in a cinematic reboot that 20th Century Fox was trying to get off the ground.

Our spies spotted him meeting with Marvel personnel earlier this week while taking a break from the press tour for Spy. Aside from Bullseye, other villainous characters who are said to appear in Daredevil's highly-anticipated second season include Mr Fear, Mysterio (one of Spider-Man's iconic rogues), and Elektra - Daredevil's eventual love interest.

Also quick note that Marvel's Daredevil seaon 2 is set to start shooting at the end of June early July not in the Fall.

Stay Tuned as the story develops.
    This would really bump up Daredevil's game.

I really must finish watching the series soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That would make it quite the series, that's for sure.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Statham hits the Bullseye with a shot at Marvel

Jason Statham on Marvel: My grandma could do that

Spy
    By Katie Rife@futureschlock
    Jun 5, 2015 1:00 PM

Like a bald, gruff, British-accented bird, Jason Statham was recently sucked into the massive whirring jet engine of Marvel casting rumors. Now the former male model and bootleg perfume salesman is fighting back, because that’s what Jason Statham does. But since even Jason Statham can’t get away with storming into Marvel’s offices and pounding Kevin Feige’s face into jelly, he’s taking the passive-aggressive route—specifically, the classic actorly technique of talking **** about Marvel to a foreign film magazine.

Statham, his co-star Melissa McCarthy, and director Paul Feig were interviewed by the Italian movie website I 400 Calci on the press junket for their new movie Spy; aside from the normal “Yes, it was super fun, everything was great” sort of responses, Statham took the opportunity to critique “modern action movies,” specifically how—and we’re paraphrasing here—actors in Marvel movies are a bunch of wankers.

“I could take my grandma and put her in a cape, and they’ll put her on a green screen and they’ll have stunt doubles come in and do all the action. Anybody can do it,” he said. “They’re relying on stunt doubles, and green screen, and $200 million budgets, it’s all CGI created. To me, it’s not authentic.”

Not that he’s against $200 million budgets or anything. It’s more the cape he presumably takes issue with.
    So is he in or out?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Statham on Marvel Action

He wants to put his grandma in a cape!
    https://youtu.be/3XZt5uwghhc?t=182
    Maybe Warner Bros. should go ahead with a Red Tornado movie.

woah...I beat DS on a comic-related post.

I is so proud.

Here's another.

Daredevil (Netflix)

Jon Bernthal Cast as Frank Castle in the Netflix Original Series 'Marvel's Daredevil'

The dynamic actor will punish Hell's Kitchen in the next season of the Netflix series, coming in 2016!

Patrick Cavanaugh
    Published Jun 9, 2015
    Updated Jun 9, 2015

Jon Bernthal (“Wolf of Wall Street,” “The Walking Dead, ” “Fury”) joins the upcoming season of “Marvel’s Daredevil,” streaming only on Netflix in 2016!

Bernthal will portray The Punisher, one of Marvel’s most popular characters. He is a vigilante who aims to clean up New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen by any means necessary, no matter how lethal the results.

Jon Bernthal (photo courtesy of Getty Images)
    “Jon Bernthal brings an unmatched intensity to every role he takes on, with a potent blend of power, motivation and vulnerability that will connect with audiences,” said Jeph Loeb, Marvel’s Head of Television. “Castle’s appearance will bring dramatic changes to the world of Matt Murdock and nothing will be the same.”

Bernthal will also appear in the upcoming action thriller “The Accountant.”

“Marvel's Daredevil” is Executive Produced by Doug Petrie (“American Horror Story,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”), Marco Ramirez (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “DaVinci’s Demons”) and Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods," "Lost"), along with Marvel TV's Jeph Loeb ("Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," "Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”)

"Marvel's Daredevil" is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios. Season one of “Marvel’s Daredevil” is now streaming on Netflix.
    Still haven't finished this. Got sucked into sense8
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yeah, if this happened, I would be so all over this show...

Gina Carano has "Daredevil" fans hoping she joins cast as Elektra
    American actress and former mixed martial artist fighter
    Appeared as 'Crush' on American Gladiators
    Played feature role in "Fast & Furious 6"

Gina Carano is no longer a newcomer to Hollywood having played a memorable feature role in "Fast & Furious 6" and "Haywire". Movie fans know her and while they acknowledge her rise to prominence as one of the most attractive mixed martial artist to enter the Octagon she is now looked at as an actress who used to fight as a mixed martial artist and one of the sex symbols of Hollywood.

However, being an attractive actress does not guarantee attention from comic book fans with regard to joining their projects as most are very protective of the characters and as such the growing sentiment on social media from the fans of the show "Daredevil" for her to play the role of 'Elektra' if the character is introduced in the next season is making some entertainment fans take notice of her growing popularity.

In the view of some "Daredevil" fans her seductive, gorgeous looks, spectacular body and martial arts expertise make her ideal for this role (VC Post - May 30).

The fact that she has comic book fans openly hoping that the producers of "Daredevil" select her as the next 'Elektra' is all the proof some entertainment fans need to accept that she is viewed first and foremost as an actress because comic book fans are renowned for being some of the most difficult to please and are incredibly picky.

There is no indication that this ex-MMA fighter is planning to join the cast of "Daredevil" but her being mentioned by fans as someone who should be considered for a feature role has entertainment fans sensing that Gina Carano has 'arrived' as an action-adventure feature actress in Hollywood.
    I still haven't finished watching the first season...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips