Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: DareDevil

nobody gives a s—

Daredevil actor says Marvel exec cut his storyline because 'nobody gives a s—' about Asian people
    By Rachel Yang July 26, 2020 at 08:28 PM EDT

JORDAN STRAUSS/WIREIMAGE

Marvel's Daredevil
    TYPE TV Show
    NETWORK Netflix
    GENRE Superhero

Daredevil actor Peter Shinkoda is alleging that a Marvel executive cut his and another actor's storylines on the show because "nobody gives a s—" about Asian people.

The actor made the allegations at a roundtable discussion during the virtual #SaveDaredevil Con this weekend. Shinkoda said former Marvel Television head Jeph Loeb, who was an executive producer on the canceled Netflix series, told the writers' room to scrap backstories for Shinkoda's Nobu and Wai Ching Ho's Madame Gao. Shinkoda is of Japanese descent while Ho hails from Hong Kong.

"I'm kind of reluctant to say this, but...I'm going to take this moment, but I have to because — because I just have to. I'm not into really protecting certain things anymore," Shinkoda said during the Zoom livestream. "Jeph Loeb told the writers' room not to write for Nobu and Gao — and this was reiterated many times by many of the writers and showrunners — that nobody cares about Chinese people and Asian people. There were three previous Marvel movies, a trilogy called Blade that was made where Wesley Snipes kills 200 Asians each movie. Nobody gives a s---, so don't write about Nobu and Gao, so they were forced to put their storyline down and drop it."

For example, Shinkoda said the writers dropped plans to explore Nobu's journey to America under the guise of a medical procedure so he could help Gao and the Hand carry out their Black Sky plans. The character appeared in Daredevil's first two seasons as a member of the Hand, a super-villain organization.

"All that backstory was dropped," the Canadian actor said. "The writers told me they regret it and they were reluctant to do it because they were stoked about including that in the storyline but they were prevented so I had to concoct this other storyline and rock that material I was given."

This is not the first time Loeb and Iron Fist have come under fire for their representation of Asians and Asian characters. Amid criticism that the show furthers the "white savior" trope — the series stars a white guy who masters martial arts in a secret Asian city, learns mystical Asian magical, and goes off to fight crime — Loeb decided to appear at San Diego Comic-Con in a karate outfit.

“I asked Jeph Loeb why Marvel in the 21st century was still doing ‘white guy becomes master of magic in Asia’ stories, and he looked me right in the eye and said it was because Danny Rand had to be an outsider," Katharine Trendacosta, Electronic Frontier Foundation policy analyst, tweeted at the time.

Loeb has also served as EP on numerous Marvel shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Legion, Jessica Jones, Runaways, and more.

EW has reached out to representatives for Shinkoda and Marvel for further comment.
    threads
    DareDevil
    Iron Fist
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Disney+ has so much going on that this isn't likely a priority

Nov 29, 2020,11:16am EST
    Netflix’s Hold On ‘Daredevil’ Rights Has Expired, So Fans Push Disney For Revival
    Paul Tassi
    Senior Contributor

Daredevil NETFLIX
    One of the strangest things that took place in the streaming world was the slow, brutal murder of the Netflix corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which spanned five heroes and six shows, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Punisher and the amalgam series, The Defenders.

The reason being was that Netflix was cutting out most shows it did not fully have the rights to, and expensive shows like Daredevil and company were prime targets, even if they were well received and often, widely watched. And Disney didn’t care to fight for them to keep going on Netflix, given that they were about to launch Disney Plus and had their own slate of MCU shows on the way.

But now, apparently as part of the terms of the original deal, two years after the death of Daredevil, the rights now revert back to Disney and Marvel themselves from Netflix. What this means is not exactly clear, but fans believe it means that it’s now a legal option for Disney to “save” Daredevil and bring back the show for a fourth season on Disney Plus with the original cast and storylines intact. And they’ve launched a #SaveDaredevil campaign to try and make that happen.

Not to be a raincloud here, but even if that is exactly what it could mean, legally, it is very hard see this actually coming to pass.

The Daredevil universe ran for over ten seasons across all the shows and I think Marvel is content to say that’s probably “good enough.” They seem to be making a hard pivot to using Disney Plus as a vehicle for not just MCU-adjacent properties, but bringing in the actual movie actors for series like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Loki. And then they are trying to form entirely new hit series like She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight, which are further down the road. In short, their plate is pretty full and it’s hard to see them bringing in Daredevil among all that as Netflix’s leftovers.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier CREDIT: TCD/PROD.DB / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO

There’s also the idea that Daredevil and shows like The Punisher or Jessica Jones are too R-rated for Disney Plus in the first place. That’s where I can see the idea of Disney offloading new seasons of those shows to Hulu, where more violent fare is okay, but again, even that’s a stretch.

Daredevil is…pretty fully dismantled at this point. The actors have mostly moved on to other projects (Kingpin, Vincent D’Onofrio, may have the biggest role right now with a part in Netflix’s smash hit Ratched). Even the props and costumes from the series have gone to auction.

I do agree that Daredevil in particular was killed too soon, especially after it’s fantastic third season which was one of the best bits of superhero TV to ever exist. But the logistics of Disney bringing it back, or any of these shows, is just not that likely no matter how many petitions fans sign. Not to say we will never see Daredevil or Punisher in the MCU again, but Disney has a whole new era planned out already that does not seem to include them, and even the era after that is likely going to focus on a reboot of the X-Men away from FOX.

I wish Daredevil fans the best of luck with this campaign, but just…don’t get your hopes up.
    threads
    Daredevil
    Disney+
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Daredevil & Spider-Man

I know, I know - the Spiderman 3 thread I'm posting this on is the old spiderman 3, not the upcoming Spider-man 3. Still gonna use it because Daredevil.

Daredevil in Spider-Man 3: Charlie Cox Reportedly Joins Marvel Cast
    By BRANDON DAVIS - December 9, 2020 11:16 pm EST

It looks like the holidays came early for the Save Daredevil crowd because Charlie Cox has reportedly joined the sprawling cast of Spider-Man 3, reprising his role as Matt Murdock from the canceled Netflix series. This would be Daredevil's first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, appearing alongside Peter Parker in the joint production with Sony Pictures. Cox last appeared as Daredevil over two years ago, and now Netflix's rights to the character have reverted back to Marvel Studios for future projects. This is only the latest surprise casting notice, as it sounds like Spider-Man 3 could explore the multiverse and include different eras in the Wall Crawler's cinematic history.

Cox joining Spider-Man 3 comes on rumors and reports which are getting hard to keep up with at this point, with this Cox news coming from often-accurate Murphy's Multiverse. For weeks, there have been claims including the following: Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield will play their respective Spider-Man characters, again. Kirsten Dunst will reprise her role as Mary Jane. Alfred Molina has been on set playing his Doc Ock character from the original trilogy. Jamie Foxx is playing Electro from The Amazing Spider-Man 2, again. "Anything is possible," Foxx told ComicBook.com when asked if te rumors are true.

J.K. Simmons has already reprised J. Jonah Jameson in the post-credits scene of Spider-Man: Far From Home. With Benedict Cumberbatch playing his Doctor Strange character in Spider-Man 3, as well, it seems the multiverse stories are finally going to bee blown wide open leading into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Back in April, ComicBook.com's Adam Barnhardt talked with Cox in preparation for a Daredevil-themed Quarantine Watch Party. At that time, Cox denied any involvement with Spider-Man 3. "I hadn't heard those rumors, but it's certainly not with my Daredevil. I'm not involved in it," Cox tells us. "If that's true, it's not with me. It's with another actor." This, of course, falls in line with Hailee Steinfeld denying reports of being cast as Kate Bishop and now being spotted on the set of Hawkeye in a comics-accurate costume.

The film and TV rights to television recently reverted from Netflix back to Marvel Studios and Disney. If these reports turn out to be true then it will be the first time Kevin Feige's team at Marvel Studios have acknowledged the existence of Marvel TV properties. Whether or not the Netflix characters or other Marvel TV titles which were overseen by Jeph Loeb will be part of the main Marvel Cinematic Universe or tied to it through multiverse stories and alternate realities, remains to be seen.

Spider-Man 3 is slated for release in December of 2021.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Super Bowl trailer

Alright now - I originally added the post above was on the Spiderman-3 because I was too lazy to make a Spiderman 3: Homeworlds thread. I just did that now and am adding Daredevil for good measure, plus dropping this on the Superbowl LV thread because that one didn't go anywhere.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2022

Daredevil Star Ready to Reprise Role as New MCU Reboot Report Emerges
    Exclusive: Deborah Ann Woll tells us she's ready and willing to re-join the Marvel Daredevil family in the MCU.

By Joe George
    |
    March 17, 2022
    |

Photo: Marvel
    This article contains spoilers for SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME.

With Vincent D’Onofrio’s Wilson Fisk returning to menace the MCU in Hawkeye and Charlie Cox’s Matt Murdock rescuing Peter Parker in a Spider-Man: No Way Home cameo, fans are clamoring to see the rest of the Daredevil cast. No further casting has been officially announced, but actress Deborah Ann Woll has given us reason to hope that her character will soon be seen again. “I loved playing Karen Page,” Woll tells Den of Geek. “I would gladly, in a heartbeat, pick Karen back up.”

The longest-running of the five Marvel series produced for Netflix, Daredevil distinguished itself with its violent take on the source material and complex themes. But the true secret of the series’ success was the cast, lead by the charming Cox as blind superhero Daredevil and D’Onofrio’s surprisingly vulnerable Kingpin of Crime. Playing Karen Page as a woman with a troubled past who established herself as a formidable presence, Woll gave the series its human grounding. Rising from the assistant for the fledgling law firm Murdock operated with partner Foggy Nelson (Elden Henson) to a crusading journalist, Page gave the series a different type of hero.

Woll looks back fondly on the experience, especially an episode that put Page in the spotlight. Directed by Alex Garcia Lopez, season three’s “Karen” flashed back to Page’s life before she escaped to New York and befriended Murdock and Foggy. As Page tried to hold together her fractious family, sacrificing her own immense talent for the good of her brother and father, Woll accentuated her character’s mix of sympathy and resentment.

Woll even managed to redeem one of the more troubling aspects of the Karen Page character, when she took a hit of cocaine at a particularly low point. Although rightly acclaimed, Frank Miller’s run on the Daredevil comic seemed to take pleasure in bringing Page down, portraying her drug use as selfish and weak. But Woll refused to demean Page in her performance, retaining the character’s dignity, even as she made destructive mistakes.

Speaking with Den of Geek, Woll called the episode “one of the greatest gifts of my career.” Although she admits that it was “a week of intensive work and filming,” Woll appreciated the opportunity to carry the show, if only for one chapter. “You know there’s still a director and a writer, but from that responsibility point of view I had a real impact on what that episode felt like.”

Will Marvel take advantage of Woll’s excellent work and bring her into the MCU? It’s too early to tell, but there is reason to be optimistic. In addition to her castmates getting work, the recent addition of the Netflix series to Disney+ including – The Punisher and The Defenders, which also featured Woll – interest is at an all-time high. And if there’s any truth to the rumors that Marvel is planning to bring back the series for either a reboot or fourth season, we may be seeing Karen Page again soon.

For her part, Woll is ready to go. “Should [Marvel Studios] call, I am here with open ears.”

Joe George | @jageorgeii
    Joe George’s writing has appeared at Slate, Polygon, Tor.com, and elsewhere!
    And we're back!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The return of DareDevil

May 19, 2022 1:00pm PT
    ‘Daredevil’ Disney+ Series in the Works With Matt Corman, Chris Ord Set to Write (EXCLUSIVE)

By Joe Otterson

David Lee/Netflix

A new “Daredevil” series is moving forward at Disney+, with Variety having exclusively learned from sources that Matt Corman and Chris Ord are attached to write and executive produce.

Rumors have persisted for some time that a Disney+ series about the Man Without Fear was in the works, especially considering that two of the stars of the Netflix “Daredevil” series — Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio — have appeared in recent Marvel projects. Cox once again played Matt Murdock, the secret identity of Daredevil, in the film “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” while D’Onofrio reprised the role of Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. Kingpin, in the Disney+ series “Hawkeye.”

It now appears that the project is picking up steam with the hiring of Corman and Ord, although Marvel has yet to announce anything regarding the show formally.

Reps for Corman and Ord declined to comment. Marvel Studios reps do not comment on projects in development.

Corman and Ord most famously co-created the USA Network series “Covert Affairs” starring Piper Perabo and Christopher Gorham. The show aired for five seasons on the basic cabler between 2010 and 2014. They most recently worked as executive producers and co-showrunners on the NBC drama shows “The Enemy Within” and “The Brave” as well as The CW series “Containment.”

They are repped by Verve, Entertainment 360, and Goodman Genow.

Fans have been clamoring for more Daredevil ever since the Netflix series was canceled in 2018 after three seasons. They were in for a long wait, however, as Variety reported in 2018 that the deal with Netflix included a clause that prevented any characters from the Marvel-Netflix shows from appearing in any non-Netflix projects for two years after cancellation.

The move came as Disney looked to bring its Marvel heroes under one umbrella, with multiple Marvel Cinematic Universe shows having since debuted on Disney+. “Moon Knight” starring Oscar Isaac was the last such show to premiere, with a trailer for the “She-Hulk” series starring Tatiana Maslany dropping earlier this week.
    Disney
    DareDevil
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

DareDevilD+

Dec 5, 2022 2:25pm PT
    ‘Daredevil’ Disney+ Series Adds Sandrine Holt, Margarita Levieva to Cast

By Joe Otterson

Margarita Levieva and Sandrine Holt
    Getty

“Daredevil: Born Again” at Disney+ is building out its cast, Variety has confirmed with sources.

Margarita Levieva and Sandrine Holt have both been cast in the Marvel Studios series. They join previously announced leads Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio as well as cast member Michael Gandolfini. Cox and D’Onofrio are reprising the roles of Daredevil and Wilson “Kingpin” Fisk respectively, whom they played in the original “Daredevil” series at Netflix. All other character details are being kept under wraps.

Marvel Studios does not comment on projects in development.

Holt most recently appeared in multiple episodes of “American Gigolo” at Showtime and “Better Call Saul” for AMC. She is also known for her work in shows like Netflix’s “House of Cards,” “The Expanse” at Amazon, and “Homeland,” also at Showtime. She is repped by APA, Silver Lining Entertainment and Offer Weber Dern.

Levieva previously appeared in all three seasons of the HBO series “The Deuce.” She has also starred in shows like “Revenge” at ABC and films like “Adventureland” and “The Lincoln Lawyer.” She is repped by Paradigm, Silver Lining Entertainment, Subtitle Entertainment, and Offer Weber Dern.

Variety exclusively reported that Matt Corman and Chris Ord are set to serve as writers and executive producers on “Daredevil: Born Again.” The show is slated to debut in 2024.

Fans have been clamoring for more Daredevil ever since the Netflix series was canceled in 2018 after three seasons. They were in for a long wait, however, as Variety reported in 2018 that the deal with Netflix included a clause that prevented any characters from the Marvel-Netflix shows from appearing in any non-Netflix projects for two years after cancellation.
    Disney
    DareDevil
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First Mission Impossible, now this...

‘Daredevil: Born Again’ & ‘The Penguin’ Productions Paused Until After WGA Strike
    By Lynette Rice
    Senior TV Writer/TV Editor, Awards
    @LynetteRice

June 14, 2023 9:40am

'Daredevil: Born Again' & 'The Penguin'
    Disney+/Marvel
    EXCLUSIVE: Daredevil: Born Again and The Penguin finally have thrown in the towel: Deadline has learned that the Disney+ series and the Max drama will remain on pause until the end of the WGA Strike — whenever that may be.

New York-based writers routinely have picketed the Marvel series Daredevil outside of its base at Silvercup East. Production repeatedly has been shut down on the drama, most recently on June 12. Production on the revival was previously paused by sunrise picketing when members of the Teamster Local 817 and IATSE Locals 829 and 52 refused to cross the line. It was then suspended for the rest of the week.

It’s been roughly the same for The Penguin, The Batman spinoff that also has been targeted repeatedly by WGA East picketers.

Daredevil: Born Again, which has been filming in and around New York, is three months into an eight-month shoot on an 18-episode new season for Disney+. Written and executive produced by Matt Corman and Chris Ord, who cannot provide writing services on set due to the strike, the new installment centers on Charlie Cox’s Daredevil aka Matt Murdock, an attorney by day and crimefighter by night. Vince D’Onofrio reprises his role as mob boss Wilson Fisk aka Kingpin.

The Penguin is from Matt Reeves. The eight-episode drama sees Colin Farrell reprising his Batman villain while Cristin Milioti plays female lead Sofia Falcone. The series comes from Warner Bros Television and DC Studios.

Nellie Andreeva contributed to this report.
    Perhaps we need a thread devoted to the writers' strike?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Disney scam

Sep 19, 2023 2:48pm PT
    Original ‘Daredevil’ Showrunner Calls Out ‘Disney Scam’ of Naming New Series ‘Daredevil: Born Again’: It ‘Resets Contract Terms Back to First Season’

By Zack Sharf

Sarah Shatz/©Netflix/courtesy Everett Collection

Steven DeKnight, who served as the showrunner on the first season of Netflix’s “Daredevil,” recently took to social media to criticize Disney for running a scam with its upcoming reboot series “Daredevil: Born Again” (via Entertainment Weekly). The 18-episode series features the returns of Charlie Cox, Vincent D’Onofrio and Jon Bernthal, who starred on the original Netflix series as Daredevil, Kingpin and Punisher, respectively.

“It’s an old Disney scam where they slightly rename a series to reset contract terms back to first season,” DeKnight wrote on X/Twitter. “Needs to be addressed by all the guilds/unions and crushed!”

“From what I understand, I’m not going to see a penny from ‘Daredevil: Born Again’ because they added the ‘Born Again’ and can claim it’s a completely different show,” he explained. “You know, with the exact same two lead actors (who I love!) playing Daredevil and Fisk.”

DeKnight stressed that he is excited to watch “Born Again,” but he still thinks it’s wrong that Disney can just give the show a new name so that, contractually, it is not a continuation of the Netflix series despite sharing the same characters.

“To be clear, I can’t wait to see Charlie Cox and the amazing Cincent D’Onofrio reprise their iconic roles,” DeKnight wrote. “But to claim this is a complete reboot and you don’t have to pay the original creatives is some corporate shenanigans, to say the least.”

“Daredevil: Born Again” was set to debut on Disney+ in spring 2024, but production on the show was indefinitely paused in June amid the WGA strike. The show has remained out of production through the SAG-AFTRA strikes. Both strikes remain ongoing in Hollywood. Matt Corman and Chris Ord are serving as showrunners of the new series.
    The tweets are included in the original article - follow the link if interested.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New Showrunners & Directors

‘Daredevil’ TV Series Lands New Showrunner, Directors (Exclusive)
    Following a creative overhaul, the superhero crime series gets a team that has deep ties to other Marvel series.
    BY BORYS KIT

OCTOBER 27, 2023 2:22PM

Justin Benson, Aaron Moorhead and DAREDEVIL, 2015. COURTESY OF SELA SHELONI; NETFLIX/COURTESY EVERETT COLLECTION / EVERETT COLLECTION

Marvel Studios’ Daredevil television series has a new creative team.

Dario Scardapane, whose recent credits include Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan as well as Netflix’s Marvel show The Punisher, has been tapped to act as the new showrunner for the series, which is in the midst of a creative overhaul.

Additionally, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, the co-directing team behind indie genre thrillers who are coming off of directing episodes of Loki season two, have been hired to helm the remaining episodes that will constitute the first season on Disney+

Daredevil: Born Again was in mid-production in New York when the writers and actors strike forced it to pause. When Marvel execs reviewed the footage, they had a change of creative heart and decided to go into a new direction. The show was being spearheaded by Chris Ord and Matt Corman who were acting as head writers, but have since departed.

Daredevil is one of Marvel’s longest-running creations and previously headlined a successful three seasons on Netflix in the mid-2010s featuring Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer turned superhero. The series, as well as its spinoff Punisher, was known for his action and gritty violence. Marvel decided it wanted to harken back to the tone of that first series.

Marvel will keep some scenes and episodes that have already been shot, though other serialized elements will be injected. Scardapane will write the new episodes and new scenes, incorporating what was already shot.

Benson and Moorhead will direct the new episodes to bring this first season to a close. It is unclear how many episodes it will encompass. Corman and Ord will become executive producers.

The hiring of a showrunner is part of Marvel’s larger overhaul of how it makes its television series. The company previously made its shows much like it made its movies. But as THR previously reported, Marvel has reconfigured its model, embracing traditional TV concepts such as showrunners and pilots and series bibles.

Benson and Moorhead had a breakthrough with cult and festival circuit hits The Endless, Spring, and Synchronic. They sometimes do all the heavy lifting on their movies, from writing to acting to directing and producing to shooting, editing and visual effects. The duo directed two episodes of Marvel’s Moon Knight, which starred Oscar Isaac, and two episodes of season two of Loki, which is currently unfolding on Disney+.

Scardapane, a journalist turned screenwriter who got his breakthrough when he co-wrote the Mario van Peebles Western Posse, has considerable TV experience in the thriller genre. He created and executed produced the NBC medical drama Trauma and served as consulting producer on the Peabody-award-winning F/X crime drama The Bridge which starred Demian Bichir and Diane Kruger.

Returning to NBC, Scardapane served as showrunner on the Katherine Heigl-Alfre Woodard political drama State of Affairs before moving into streaming television, serving as writer and executive producer Punisher. Most recently he was a writer and consulting producer on Amazon’s Jack Ryan series starring John Krasinski.

Benson and Moorhead are repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham. Scardapane is repped by WME, Entertainment 360.
    It's like they're blind or something...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips