Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Three weeks???

Be careful that it is the soy and not sodium.

mickey
    Thank you, will watch out for sodium. I am also at a calorie deficit eating mainly salads, seem to be mainly burning up muscle for calories alongside fat.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

"hybrid" burgers

JUN 15, 9:30 AM EDT
    byFRANK LANDYMORE
    DEAD MEAT
    FAKE MEAT STARTUP SHUTS DOWN WITHOUT SELLING A SINGLE FAKE MEAT TO A RESTAURANT OR GROCERY STORE
    ALL SIZZLE, NO STEAK.
    SCIFI FOODS
    Butchered Prospects
    It seems the lab-grown meat industry just hasn't managed to serve up something people want to sink their teeth into.
    In a development that augurs ill for the burgeoning food sector, SFGate reports that a Bay Area-based startup called SCiFi Foods, which had dreams of bringing "hybrid" burgers made of a mix of plants and lab-grown beef to the masses, is shutting down just six months after it had announced the completion of its first meat-growing facility.
    In a LinkedIn post on Tuesday, the company's co-founders Joshua March and Kasia Gora painfully admitted that SCiFi failed to bring a single meat product to market. Or in other words, not one of their Franken-patties ever managed to grace stores and restaurants.
    "Unfortunately, in this funding environment, we could not raise the capital that we needed to commercialize the SCiFi burger, and SCiFi Foods ran out of time," they wrote.
    The company's struggle, March and Gora added, "reflects the challenges that the cultivated meat and general meat alternative markets are facing today."

Sausage Making
    As icky as the idea sounds to some people, lab-grown or "cultivated" meat promises to solve a lot of ethical quandaries. No animals would be harmed in making it. And if the bioreactors to cultivate it became efficient enough, it would also spare us the guilt associated with the harrowing environmental toll of the meat industry.
    Proponents also argued that, in a future that foregoes slaying animals for food, it would make for a much more palatable alternative than plant-based ones, as many people are unwilling to entirely give up meat.
    But a lot of practical hurdles stand in the way, with the exorbitant costs associated with growing the meat being the biggest. When the venture first started out in 2019, a single SCiFi burger cost $20,000 to create, the cofounders said. Over five years, the company's scientists were only able to bring that down to a still eye-watering — but perhaps no more mouth-watering — $15,000.

Rotten Luck
    Few could predict just how volatile a political issue ersatz meat would turn out to be, however. Along with waning enthusiasm for the industry, the cofounders said, they also blame the hostile "culture wars" in the US for their failures — and it's not hard to understand why.
    Last month, Florida Governor Ron Desantis outright banned the lab-grown meat industry from the state, no doubt inflaming public opinion on the matter across the country. Just two weeks later Alabama followed suit and also enacted a ban.
    At least on a federal level, regulators appear more equitable. Last year, the US Department of Agriculture approved two companies, Upside Foods and Good Meat, to sell cultivated chicken products, in a breakthrough for the industry.
    But since then, Upside Foods, considered a leader among meat-fakers, has been hampered with setbacks and scandals, including a pause on expanding its facilities and scrutiny over allegedly misleading the public on how its cultivated chicken is made. And now, if SCiFi's fate is any indication, the forecast is ever grimmer.
    Would I have tried these? Probably.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

La Vie

Plant-based brand La Vie unveils UK out-of-home takeover with ‘cheeky’ new posters
    BRANDS CREATIVE AND CAMPAIGNS MARKETING STRATEGY NEWS
    26th October 2022
    Conor Nichols
    French plant-based bacon brand La Vie has launched a new out-of-home (OOH) campaign in the build-up to World Vegan Day on 1 November.

The pink billboards, described as ‘bold, bright and mischievous’, promote a brand that has only been on the UK market for a couple of weeks and is now available in 2,000 locations across the nation.

The news comes just a month after the Paris-based challenger brand launched its first UK promotional campaign, despite the fact that it was not available in the British market at the time.

The new billboards include phrases like ‘Britain’s newest best faker – sorry Boris’, and ‘sure, our parents got the property boom, but we’ve got vegan bacon that tastes like bacon’.

The brand’s campaign intends to set itself apart from traditional advertising competitors by embracing controversy and finding humorous ways to connect with consumers.

La Vie is not only backed by Natalie Portman, but also includes products that have been tried and tested over 5,000 times in order to perfect and create a ‘world-class’ substitute ‘indistinguishable’ from pork.

“La Vie™ has a wildly different tone and personality to other brands in the meat-free space,” La Vie chief marketing officer, Romain Jolivet, said.

“Since the beginning, we have been very intentional with how we wanted the brand to be perceived, and how we could expand on that in different markets. We have always been confident in our marketing approach, knowing it sets us aside, but now, seeing the response from the British population, has given us the courage to be even more creative, and continue to build our brand as we expand globally.”

Well if it's good enough for Natalie Portman, I'll try it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't think vegetarianism will ever become mainstream overthere becausase it requires sustained empathy that overcomes desire for pleasure, and pleasure overrides all in their societal values, its basically a sacred cow.

McPlant

McDonald’s plant-based burger fizzles out — even in San Francisco, company says

An advertisement for the McPlant, a plant-based vegetarian alternative to the more traditional McDonald’s meat burgers, in London in 2022. (Mike Kemp / In Pictures via Getty Images)
    By Hannah Fry
    Staff Writer
    June 26, 2024 4:49 PM PT

McDonald’s had high hopes for its signature plant-based burger when it rolled out in California and Texas two years ago, but it turns out customers just weren’t lovin’ it.

Joe Erlinger, the president of McDonald’s USA, said during this week’s Wall Street Journal Global Food Forum that the meatless burger had fizzled rather than sizzled. The McPlant, he put it bluntly, “was not successful” in the San Francisco Bay Area or Dallas.

Consumers in the United States aren’t “looking for McPlant or other plant-based proteins from McDonald’s now,” Erlinger said Wednesday. “It’s a trend that we’ll continue to monitor.”

At the heart of McPlant was a patty co-developed with Beyond Meat, which featured vegetarian ingredients like peas, rice and potatoes.

The plant patties cropped up in eight McDonald’s across the country in late 2021, including locations in El Segundo and Manhattan Beach. By January 2022, 600 restaurants across the Bay Area and Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area were slinging the meat-free sandwiches.

At the time, the fast-food giant tempted customers by suggesting they take a road trip to try the McPlant — available only “for a limited time, while supplies last,” the company wrote in a news release.

But an analysis done in March 2022 by the research firm BTIG indicated demand had withered, with consumers underwhelmed by the culinary creation.

Restaurants in the Bay Area and Dallas-Fort Worth were selling 20 McPlants per day, fewer than the 40 to 60 they had expected. Only three to five sandwiches per day were being sold in more rural east Texas, Marketwatch reported at the time.

That July, the company ended the meatless burger’s test run without disclosing plans for a nationwide rollout. The desire for meat alternatives climbed rapidly between 2019 and 2021 in the United States, but lessened in 2022 and declined in 2023, according to the Good Food Institute, a nonprofit that promotes alternatives to animal proteins.

That’s not necessarily the case across the Atlantic, however, where McDonald’s plant-based offerings have apparently found greener pastures. In European markets, you can find the McPlant patty on a sesame bun with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, vegan sandwich sauce, vegan cheese, pickles and onions.

Erlinger said the company is focusing in the U.S. on chicken options, which are more popular with consumers.
    Fast-Food-Nastiness
    Vegetarian
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well I didn't eat meat for several years and I practiced yoga a lot and really pushed myself hard in practice making it miserable torture ~ but I wanted to make progress ~ yoga people always talk about this when they are saying that this is how the ego is a bad thing because you may hurt yourself. ~ anyway I never got hurt or had any problems .

so now I've started doing yoga again except I don't want to make myself hate my practice so I don't push myself so hard ~ yet now I am injured and have a pinched nerve .

So what is different about this practice ? ~ the only thing different is that I started eating meat or more recently eggs because I knew my body didn't like the meat

I started eating meat because I was having heart problems and the heart health page says you need to eat meat ~ but in reality my heart problems are caused by my vitamin supplements .

there is one more thing different now besides eating meat ~ I now take sleep medication because I'm an insomniac ~ the medicine does cause severe pain in my brain if I eat anything inflammatory or if I drink water . thats right I just said drinking water hurts my brain ~ it's because my health care provider is a sadist ~ I always notice the sadistic nature of the (caregiver) that's why I'm seriously worried about my future in this health care crisis ~ but I have been doing yoga since without problems until now when I ate some meat ~ I ate some fish that made the top of my foot hurt really bad .

I was watching a shaolin wugulun show one time and the students parents thought that their kids needed meat and they weren't going to let their kids go to school there if there wasn't meat ~ so they changed the rule to where you have a choice whether you want to eat meat or not ~

One of the older students chose to eat meat and I was witnessing the shaolin monk teacher being not very nice to the student . I wonder if it was because he was eating meat ?
    Last edited by pokomkno3; 07-18-2024 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokomkno3 View Post
    I wonder if it was because he was eating meat ?
    It sounds like most of the problems are stemming from the sleep medication. In the yin yang of toxicity and deficiency, since supplements are totally unregulated in the US, unless one has some grasp of biochemistry, one will be erring on the side of toxicity, and sleep medication is one of the most karma backloaded with pain, especially the withdrawal symptoms.

Shaolin monks could find for you an equilibrium between toxicity and deficiency because they understand the toxicity of meat as you eat higher up on the food chain. If you are not into group situations run by some kung fu master or yoga guru, then maybe some kung fu or yogi hermit could help...

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    It sounds like most of the problems are stemming from the sleep medication. In the yin yang of toxicity and deficiency, since supplements are totally unregulated in the US, unless one has some grasp of biochemistry, one will be erring on the side of toxicity, and sleep medication is one of the most karma backloaded with pain, especially the withdrawal symptoms.

Shaolin monks could find for you an equilibrium between toxicity and deficiency because they understand the toxicity of meat as you eat higher up on the food chain. If you are not into group situations run by some kung fu master or yoga guru, then maybe some kung fu or yogi hermit could help...
    Yeah I'm kinda the hermit type

Cannabis is perfect for insomnia ~ but I would have to grow that myself because if you want something done right you have to do it yourself ~ but I live in an apartment and I can't grow my own medicine ~ it's also healthy because you can just eat it ~ does not require smoking .

The sleep medication is definitely a sadistic punishment but the insomnia is even worse ~ I wouldn't be able to do anything if I didn't get some sleep .

meat is toxic to me definitely ~ I have no idea how other people feel about it .
    Last edited by pokomkno3; 07-19-2024 at 12:43 PM.

Yeah I'm kinda the hermit type

Cannabis is perfect for insomnia ~ but I would have to grow that myself because if you want something done right you have to do it yourself ~ but I live in an apartment and I can't grow my own medicine ~ it's also healthy because you can just eat it ~ does not require smoking .

The sleep medication is definitely a sadistic punishment but the insomnia is even worse ~ I wouldn't be able to do anything if I didn't get some sleep .

meat is toxic to me definitely ~ I have no idea how other people feel about it .
    May I ask why you require sleep medication? Does yoga help with relaxation and sleep?

I have made great progress in tendon training after following a more naturalistic diet of 5 days plant protein and 2 days animal protein, plus vitamin supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    May I ask why you require sleep medication? Does yoga help with relaxation and sleep?

I have made great progress in tendon training after following a more naturalistic diet of 5 days plant protein and 2 days animal protein, plus vitamin supplements.
    Nothing helps my insomnia except strong drugs ~ Vitamins cause me to have heart attacks .

I just went all those decades without any protein at all ~ I was convinced that I didn't need it ~ If I do find out that I need it like everyone says I do I seriously doubt that I'll get it from animals . It'll probably be more expensive ~ I don't know what tofu and stuff like that costs ~ I've never even seen it in a store .

I really bad cystic acne so I'm not allowed to eat anything ~ I can't have beans or nuts or anything like that ~ I just eat rice and ramen ~ I can have some ramen but if I overdo it I'll start having heart problems . anything inflammatory will hurt my brain unbearably and cause acne .

Cannabis is the natural remedy for insomnia ~ what I'm taking isn't . there are probably other herbs that work but I don't know about them ~ there are rumors from books but I haven't tried them .

without sleep medication I would be a useless miserable zombie . I'm not into suffering .

I've never had any problems from doing yoga before until now when I ate some meat. Who knows ? ~ I've been doing a lot of yin yoga and stying in contortions for 5 minutes .
    Last edited by pokomkno3; 07-22-2024 at 02:39 PM.

Nothing helps my insomnia except strong drugs ~ Vitamins cause me to have heart attacks .
    I just went all those decades without any protein at all ~ I was convinced that I didn't need it ~ If I do find out that I need it like everyone says I do I seriously doubt that I'll get it from animals . It'll probably be more expensive ~ I don't know what tofu and stuff like that costs ~ I've never even seen it in a store .
    I really bad cystic acne so I'm not allowed to eat anything ~ I can't have beans or nuts or anything like that ~ I just eat rice and ramen ~ I can have some ramen but if I overdo it I'll start having heart problems . anything inflammatory will hurt my brain unbearably and cause acne .
    Cannabis is the natural remedy for insomnia ~ what I'm taking isn't . there are probably other herbs that work but I don't know about them ~ there are rumors from books but I haven't tried them .
    without sleep medication I would be a useless miserable zombie . I'm not into suffering .
    I've never had any problems from doing yoga before until now when I ate some meat. Who knows ? ~ I've been doing a lot of yin yoga and stying in contortions for 5 minutes .
    Garbage in, garbage out, and you are what you eat! You cannot fight toxicity with toxicity. Have you ever wondered why yoga people are into fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    Garbage in, garbage out, and you are what you eat! You cannot fight toxicity with toxicity. Have you ever wondered why yoga people are into fasting?
    I have seen hardcore yoga people saying that the most ethical thing you can eat is ripened fruit that has fallen from the tree ~ because you didn't harm it by picking it and it is now just dying .

I do fast regularly though my blood sugar isn't really cool with it ~ I usually do it by accident and I try my best not to fast ~ if my blood sugar gets out of whack it takes a long time to get it back where it's supposed to be .

I need my rest ~
    Last edited by pokomkno3; 07-23-2024 at 03:24 PM.

I have seen hardcore yoga people saying that the most ethical thing you can eat is ripened fruit that has fallen from the tree ~ because you didn't harm it by picking it and it is now just dying .

I do fast regularly though my blood sugar isn't really cool with it ~ I usually do it by accident and I try my best not to fast ~ if my blood sugar gets out of whack it takes a long time to get it back where it's supposed to be .

I need my rest ~
    Sorry to hear about your condition, wish for the best. Maybe can try asking chatGPT?