Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian

a timely demise....

filthy pillaging thread pirates.

PS. Serpent, I also think kittens are an excellent source of marrow. The fluffier, the more nutrient rich.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I was completely on topic when I answered Serpent's question.

He asked for a good source of bone marrow and I gave him my favorite.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

As did Ming Yue. So, noone over 25 and kittens. What do you know? I've been getting plenty of marrow all along!

(ah-harrr, me maties!)
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Is there a good source of marrow in today's culinary larder?
    Aw, man...you had to actually ask?????

Osso Bucco.

Italian dish, bone marrow rules. Remember where you heard it!

Osso Bucco of Veal with Gremolata
    Yield: 4

Ingredients:

8 veal, hind, shanks, 1 1/2 inches thick
    1 onion, cut into small cubes
    1 tbsp butter, unsalted
    1 tbsp grape seed oil
    3 tbsp flour
    1/2 cup diced tomato
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    1 sprig thyme
    1 sprig savory
    2 garlic, cloves, smashed
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup Franz Reh Lark Riesling white wine
    2 cup veal stock

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tie the veal hind shanks so they keep their shape during cooking. Dredge them with flour on each side. In a casserole dish, melt the butter and the oil over a high heat. Sear the shanks on every side until they are dark brown and then remove the shanks from the pan as you sear them. Roast the onion in the same oil and butter (add a little more butter if necessary) over a medium heat.

Put the shanks back in the casserole, increase the heat to high and deglaze with the wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan until the pieces come off. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, the garlic, the herbs and the veal stock. Season to taste and cook for 2 hours in the oven.

Remove the veal shanks from the casserole and reduce the sauce on the cooker top by one third. For the Gremolata, remove the zest from 1 orange, cut it into thin strips and blanch them for 10 seconds to remove the bitterness. Refresh the orange strips in cold water. Line the strips up and cut in brunoise. Add a clove of finely chopped garlic and a handful of chopped parsley. Mix together the orange, garlic and parsley and serve on top of the veal shank. You can also add some orange zests to the osso bucco once it has cooked.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Ok...the marrow is in the middle of the veal shanks. And there is also a disgusting little marrow spoon to dip it out.

BTW, if you have never had osso bucco, it is absolutely friggin' incredible. By the time you reduce the sauce, it is so complex and rich, you won't believe you cooked it. The meat is braised, so it will literally fall apart.

I never use Veal, as it is hard to find here in DFW, TX. I just use normal beef, so the marrow part suffers sometimes depending on the cut of meat you start with. Who cares??? After braising the meat so long, and using a reduction style sauce, this stuff is like incredible. Your women friends will think you are a genius, and your guy friends, well tell them your woman friend made it.

Oh sure, and your friends will especially like it when you say:

"Yes, I'm a culinary genius, but really it's the baby cow bone marrow that makes it extra-delicious..... more sauce?"

here's a recipe that tells you how to poke the marrow out of the bones in one piece, in case you need to know how to do that.

Can't argue with that reply!

Ming - thanks for the new culinary link! Looks like a good resource.

Yeah, yeah, I like cooking. Hey, it is just like painting. You mix colors, textures, and liquids. But you get to smell it and taste it legally! Plus, I have 5 people to cook for, so I have had to pick up a few culinary tips. It might as well be fun if your going to get stuck doing it.

Check out allrecipies.com, recipiesource.com, and foodtv.com. Good stuff.

Cooking = art + chemistry.

Epicurious.com is a great site. You can enter ingredients you have in the house into the search bar and get recipe options. Gotta love that.

www.curious3d.com

What does it suggest for:

Can of SPAM
    Carton of milk (half full)
    4 sheets of lasagne pasta
    Cat food
    salt
    pepper
    chillies (dried)

1. Feed the spam to the cat.

2. spread cat food on shards of uncooked pasta.

3. Using the thumb and index finger, see how many shards you can get to stick to the ceiling by flipping them up there.

4. Stuff the chile with vitamins, season to taste and roast for 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven.

5. Swallow the chile whole, wash down with milk.

6. Go to the grocery store.

www.curious3d.com

LOL! You're a genius!

But I have enough cat food for the cat and the pasta flicking, so I'm not going to waste good Spam on that mangy creature!

Mmmmmchiliesstuffedwithspam!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    chilies stuffed with spam would be tasty, imo.

but I eat vienna sausages, the epitome of parts is parts.

Fishing Lunch

2 cans Vienna Sausages.
    1 Jar Horseradish paste (none of that mayonaissey stuff)
    Ritz Crackers
    Budweiser
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"