Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    exactly, can't develop that killer instinct gnawing on a celery stalk.
    Last edited by Oso; 06-06-2003 at 02:03 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso
    vegan means you don't do anything associated with animals:
    no eggs, cheese or anything else.

can you imagine life with no cheese? terrible, just terrible.
    Hey i didn't eat cheese even when i was an omnivore!
    Life wasn't so bad!

cheese - yuck!!

Yeah, but did you eat honey? A true Vegan doesn't eat any by-products of animal slavery, either.

Good thing those plows are pulled by Farm trucks now.

But what if the tractor has a leather seat????
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Yeah, but did you eat honey? A true Vegan doesn't eat any by-products of animal slavery, either.

Good thing those plows are pulled by Farm trucks now.

But what if the tractor has a leather seat????
    I'm not vegan. I just hate cheese. And eggs. And milk. And Honey for that matter.

But I make my dog fetch my paper. Does that constitute animal slavery??

But then again, like I said, I'm not vegan.

Leather seats are ok because it's easier to wipe the blood off after sucking rabbits and prarie dogs into the harvester all day.

I'm curious about yeast -- Isn't yeast an organism? do vegans eat yeast products?

enslaved bees.... they must need the tiniest shackles.

plants are organisms, too.

i think veganism would basically just draw a line around the animal kingdom and "none of that."

the fun tiimes are when people differentiate humans from animals.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

RTB
    It is my understanding that some vegans are such for political reasons, that being the senseless killing and torture that animals endure in order to feed us.

Plants, although organisms, do not have a central nervous system, and thus do not feel pain in the same capacity (ooops at all) as humans and animals.

I'm not 100% what's in yeast, but if there's any animal bi-product (milk? eggs?) then it's not vegan.

yeast is a fungus. a sugar-eatin' fungus.

I would venture to say the vegan choice is moral and not political, but that's nitpicking, isn't it.

What about the senseless killing of vegetables? Doesn't anybody care about the vegetables? For the love of god, think of the vegetables!!
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Originally posted by Ming Yue

I would venture to say the vegan choice is moral and not political, but that's nitpicking, isn't it.

That's why I said SOME

why do i get the mental picture of someone saying, "****ing republicans!" and running off and eating some sprouts?

i can't think of a real political reason to be vegan. well, one that's sane, at least. skipping cheeseburgers because woodrow wilson may have enjoyed a jumbo jack now and then would technically be political, but sure as hell isn't all that bright.

all the reasons i know of for choosing veganism are either moral or dietary, and the "senseless killing and torturing of animals" idea is moral, not political.
    Last edited by rubthebuddha; 06-12-2003 at 01:10 PM.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I'm pretty sure the entire McKinley administration was based on captive bee labor.

why do i get the mental picture of someone saying, "****ing republicans!" and running off and eating some sprouts?
    Granted, I live in a hippie-dense area, but that happens around here all the time.

aye. i've seen many a person (namely kids) eat sprouts UNDER protest, but i've never seen anyone do it as a manner of protesting.

RTB

I think you misinterpreted what I meant by politics!
    I didn't mean Federal Politics!
    You know, like there's politics in kung fu ... inter-office politics ...

Some people arent' vegan because of morals, or health, but because they are lefty's (left wing, don't want you thinking I mean they're left handed) , and a vegan lifestyle seems to have similar parallels with that.

Omnipork

That name just sounds like a thinly-disguised term for human meat in some sci-fi like Soylent Green.

This vegetarian company wants to disrupt China's pork industry
    by Sherisse Pham @Sherisse
    April 24, 2018: 1:41 AM ET

David Yeung wants to take a bite out of China's massive meat market.

When the founder of Green Common, a vegetarian grocery store and casual dining chain in Hong Kong, started bringing plant-based burgers and other meatless products to Asia, he saw an opportunity.

"One of the most consumed meats in the world is actually overlooked -- that is pork," Yeung told CNNMoney.

Yeung on Monday launched a new product called omnipork which he hopes will change people's diets in mainland China, the world's largest consumer of pork. Omnipork is made from soy, pea, mushroom and rice proteins, but it tries to mimic the taste and feel of real pork.

Yeung's company -- Right Treat -- is currently seeking approval from Chinese regulators and expects to start selling omnipork in mainland China before the end of the year.

In China, pork is a beloved meat: the Chinese character for family is a pig under a roof. Until recently, the country's growing ranks of middle class consumers had fueled a massive rise in pork consumption.

People in China will eat about 56 million tons of pork this year, more than any other country, according to US Department of Agriculture estimates.

But demand may be peaking. Last year, overall pork consumption in China hit a three-year low of 54.8 million tons.

The dip came after the Chinese government issued dietary guidelines in 2016, outlining a plan to cut meat consumption in half. An official campaign included commercials featuring actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzeneggar encouraging Chinese people to eat less meat to help the planet.

Omnipork is made from mushroom, pea, soy and rice proteins, but it tries to mimic the taste and feel of real pork.

Yeung hopes to tap into China's changing diets, but it's still a lofty goal to convince people who grew up chowing down on pork dumplings and sweet-and-sour pork to choose meatless alternatives.

He compares his ambitions to what Starbucks has achieved in China.

"China has never been a coffee drinking country. For the last 5,000 years, Chinese people drink tea," he said. "But what Starbucks has done is they create a lifestyle, and it is aspirational, it's about much more than what is inside the cup, it is everything around it."

Yeung is joining other startups that are looking to shake up the global meat industry. They include Beyond Meat, which is bankrolled by actor Leonardo di Caprio, Microsoft (MSFT) founder Bill Gates and agricultural giant Tyson Foods.

Yeung is also an investor in Beyond Meat and brought its meatless burger and other products to Hong Kong. He said his company saw sales of Beyond Meat grow fourfold in one year, and there are plans to take it to mainland China by the end of the year.

Impossible Foods, a startup behind a meatless burger that bleeds, launched in Hong Kong last week, its first international market.

But Yeung says those startups' products generally appeal to Western palates. He made omnipork specifically for Asian dishes, enlisting a Michelin star chef -- Li Yuet Faat at Ming Court -- to tackle a few Chinese staples.

At first, Li said he wasn't sure what to do with omnipork. Eventually, he decided to try using it for xiaolong bao, steamed soup dumplings typically stuffed with pork. It took the chef and his team several tries before they finally made a version with omnipork that they were ready to serve.

This CNNMoney reporter and three colleagues did a blind test of omnipork soup dumplings alongside regular ones -- and everyone could taste the difference. But everyone also agreed that the omnipork soup dumplings were still tasty. Li will also roll out a sweet-and-sour pork dish using omnipork in June.

"You can use this ingredient many ways, steam it, cook it, fry it, pan fry it, stuff it in dumplings, meatballs," Yeung said. "This is something that we want to be really all purpose."

CNNMoney (Hong Kong)
    First published April 23, 2018: 9:14 AM ET
    THREADS: Bacon!!!!!!
    Vegetarian
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart