Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian

Originally posted by fa_jing
    Anybody remember the lyrics to

Mary Mo - she's a vegetarian

da da da

she don't eat meat but she sure like the bone

da da da

Sorry if you find this offensive, it was a popular radio song a few years back.
    That would be New Age Girl from the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack.

Also, I find it strange that most people look at vegetarianism in terms of morality. They've already got a good argument in terms of effiency of resources and lowered risk of heart disease.

Originally posted by Spark

Binocular vision? What does that have to do with anything?
    Two eyes in the front of the head = preditory. It allows you to look for food, and the depth perception that results from two eyes looking the same way helps you catch your prey.

Eyes on either side of the head = non-preditory (I'm sure there's a better word). Having one eye on each side of the head lets you see all around you better. It allows you to keep an eye out for things that are trying to chase you.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

non-preditory (I'm sure there's a better word)
    How about prey?
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

Originally posted by StarBoy

How about prey?
    Yes, I suppose that works.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

eyes on either side of the head?
    i'm pretty sure it's called wall-eyed.

Originally posted by Spark

Man is a preditor?? Take away our guns and weapons, and I don't think we'd have ANY luck catching any game! Binocular vision? What does that have to do with anything? Canine teeth??? We have dog teeth?? Enzymes ... well you got that one right!
    Basic Biology class - one characteristic of all preditors is binoccular vision.

A characteristic of herbiovores is eyes set wide and to the side - let's them look for preditors.

We, as a species, did pretty well for thousands of years before the advent of firearms.

Clubs, spears, bows and arrows were hunting tools before they were weapons of war (actually probably came into both uses at the same time.)

The earliest cave paintings show man as a hunter.
    Fighting is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

A year from now, no one will remember who used what style, or what technique, only who prevailed.

Canine teeth??? We have dog teeth??
    yep, we have cutting teeth in the front (incisors) and the pointy ones to the sides (think vampires) are indeed called canines.

Your canines are pretty much for puncturing and ripping. Or, in the case of vampires, puncturing and sipping.

C

Starboy - Sorry for not getting back with the references yet. Not finding the time at home to sit at my computer. It's not just one study and it covers many thousands of subjects mostly in the USA but also round the world. can't remember if lifestyle was factored in. I'll get it over this weekend for sure.

Cheeses Dog - your 'lack of protein' complaint is a prime example of not knowing how to eat veggie ;-). I had that back along. I see Mr Shaolin Kungfu exhibits the same thing...

Mr Bao - I always thought plants were as alive enough to qualify as organisms/beings deserving of respect.

If you want more sickly veggies, look at a whale, an elephant or this guy -> http://www.kalarippayatt.co.uk/book3d.gif

Morbicid - When I mentioned 'God made us to eat...' I was accidentally misquoting and had no personal desire to steer the conversation that way. Though my spiritual view incorporates Christian ideas, I haven't been there for dietary advice!

CD Lee - what's a BCAA? So far, I think a balanced diet between the two (carnivore/herbivore) is the diet of a mediocre future. Regarding the vegan/PETA/whacko backlash... each to his own mob. I was under the impression that being a vegan was about as unthreatening a position as I could take. You've made my day!

Binocular vision = predator is a bit simplistic. As humans, we use binocular vision for just about everything that makes us human - reading, driving, using tools, making stuff...

Back soon - I have a CIA convoy in my drive. Not sure what they want me for but luckily I have a big vat of lentil soup ready anyway.

-David

David said:
    CD Lee - what's a BCAA? So far
    BCAA - Branch Chain Amino Acids

I think a balanced diet between the two (carnivore/herbivore) is the diet of a mediocre future.
    Ok.

Regarding the vegan/PETA/whacko backlash... each to his own mob. I was under the impression that being a vegan was about as unthreatening a position as I could take. You've made my day!
    Glad to please. hehe. Not all vegans are wacko's or outspoken. Just the ones that are make everybody else look bad. I saw an irrate vegan on another forum telling a member that if they were going to drink milk, they might as well suck on an open sore on a cow's leg, and...to enjoy their glass of puss-filled milk!

Originally posted by IronFist

Eyes on either side of the head = non-preditory (I'm sure there's a better word). Having one eye on each side of the head lets you see all around you better. It allows you to keep an eye out for things that are trying to chase you.

IronFist

So Sharks are Non-Predatory???

Originally posted by Ming Yue

yep, we have cutting teeth in the front (incisors) and the pointy ones to the sides (think vampires) are indeed called canines.

Your canines are pretty much for puncturing and ripping. Or, in the case of vampires, puncturing and sipping.

C
    And you're going to argue that humans 'puncture and rip' in order to consume their food?? When was the last time you saw a human run down it's "prey" and use it's incisors and canines to rip the meat off the dead carcass?

If this is the purpose of our teeth, then why do we have molars, which are primarily found in vegetarian species?

Originally posted by Aslan

We, as a species, did pretty well for thousands of years before the advent of firearms.

Clubs, spears, bows and arrows were hunting tools before they were weapons of war (actually probably came into both uses at the same time.)

The earliest cave paintings show man as a hunter.
    The advancement of the human race, and our survival, surely had nothing to do with the consumption of meat. I would argue the weapons you listed would have primarily been used as weapons of self defence before they would have ever been used to 'hunt' animals. Could you ever imagine trying to hunt a deer with a club!?!?!
    As well these weapons, and hunting for that matter, would have taken a large group of people who would have had to go on missions for weeks at a time in order to return with any type of worthwhile amounts.
    Basic History and Anthropology shows us that humans were primarily vegetarian for most of our existence and it wasn't until the introduction of farming, and then factory farming, that meat became a 'staple' of the human diet.

"When was the last time you saw a human run down it's "prey" and use it's incisors and canines to rip the meat off the dead carcass?"

i did that last sunday

Originally posted by morbicid
    "When was the last time you saw a human run down it's "prey" and use it's incisors and canines to rip the meat off the dead carcass?"

i did that last sunday

Basic History and Anthropology shows us that humans were primarily vegetarian for most of our existence and it wasn't until the introduction of farming, and then factory farming, that meat became a 'staple' of the human diet.
    Now, seriously. Is that true? What do you mean by basic history? Is this something you read from a history book. I am being serious.

See, because Bill Phillips, who does not quote his historical references either, says just the opposite. He says we were primarily meat eaters until FARMING came along, at which point we becaume carb eaters and starting dying from cancers.

Ok, so, what historical references are you talking about that show us , as you said above, versus you telling us, that humans were primarily vegetarian for most of our existence?

Did Native Americans eat meat or just farm? Did they trap animals, hunt animals, eat buffalo, live on dried meats and fish? Is that like what you mean by 'basic history'?

Does 'basic history' mean just those things I can recall from history that I can think up right now, that lead us to a common sense and obvious conclusion?