Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Smoking

I am very glad that I never started smoking. But most of that was because I was never in any circumstances that would be conducive to me starting. Excepting, of course, the fact that both of my parents were smokers from age 15. My sister started just before she turned 18. I'm 21 myself.

I know it must be extremely tough to quit though. I can only imagine what it would be like to give up a substance that your body was convinced it needed. Kudos to all who have given up, or are trying to. I can only aspire to have those kinds of guts.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

I have been asthmatic all my life and can't smoke, but I cough like a smoker.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

bt ... it's refreshing to see a non-smoker be so understanding of a cigerettes grip on you.

i read somewhere that about 3% of the people who try to quit make it 5 years and out of that 3% a good portion start smoking again.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    i do smoke non filters and i smoked through my nose for nearly 2 days.
    Holy crap! now that's what I call hardcore!

PS - Welcome to the forum BlueTravesty
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Smoking? Try replacing the oil filter.

Thanks anton!

As far as being understanding, the heck of it is, a lot of people face non-chemical addictions with much the same grip. Some of us are addicted to comfort, and we gotta push ourselves past that lethargy in order to work out so we can be stronger (I consider myself to be in this category.) For many people, other bad habits fill the same function (lots of heavy heavy drinking might help you A BIT with your 8 Drunken Immortals form or "Monkey Drinks his Master's Wine" technique, but not much else.) I guess I can relate to the smoker's plight, because much like smoking, being lazy can be very damaging physically to anyone especially persons like ourselves who pursue athletic disciplines. (case in point, my messed up hip and knees.)
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Uncle Chen

Chinese man 'runs marathon in just three and a half hours despite CHAIN SMOKING for the entire 42 kilometres' - and he's done it twice before
    Chinese man runs marathon while smoking cigarettes with time of 3:28:45
    Photos of the 50-year-old man from Guangzhou competing have gone viral
    'Uncle Chen' has been photographed smoking at other marathon events
    By JAMES COONEY FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 21:27 EST, 14 November 2022 | UPDATED: 21:27 EST, 14 November 2022

Marathon runners are regarded as some of the most health-conscious athletes on the planet - but not a Chinese runner known as 'Uncle Chen', who has gone viral for chain-smoking cigarettes while he competes.

Chen, aged 50, recently completed the Xin'anjiang Marathon in Jiande, China while smoking throughout the 42-kilometre endurance event.

Chinese marathon runner 'Uncle Chen' (pictured running in the Xin'anjiang Marathon) has gone viral for smoking cigarettes while he competes. Chen finished 574th out of nearly 1,500 runners, clocking an impressive time of 3:28:45

Chen has a history of smoking while running, according to Canadian Running Magazine. He ran both the 2018 Guangzhou Marathon and the 2019 Xiamen Marathon while lighting up

Photos of the Guangzhou man went viral on a Chinese social media app - and event organisers shared his finishing certificate afterwards.

Chen finished 574th in the race overall, with an impressive time of 3:28:45 out of nearly 1,500 runners.

The Chinese sensation has a history of smoking while running, according to Canadian Running Magazine, which reported that he ran both the 2018 Guangzhou Marathon and the 2019 Xiamen Marathon while lighting up.

In 2018, Chen clocked a time of 3:36, and ran 3:32 in 2019.

There' is also evidence online that he runs ultramarathons too, with one spanning 50km and another lasting 12 hours

There is also evidence online that he runs ultramarathons too, with one spanning 50km and another lasting 12 hours.

Chen also apparently became known as 'Smoking Brother' in running circles after a 2017 event in Hangzhou city.

Reactions to the incredible athlete have been mixed - with some people saluting his abilities, while others think he sets a bad example.

'There goes my hero. Watch him as he smokes,' wrote one Instagram user.

'Imagine being stuck behind him the whole race,' said another.

'So this is what peak performance looks like,' joked a third.

There are currently no rules prohibiting marathon runners from smoking cigarettes while they compete.
    ****. Hardcore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Banning English names?

Chinese Athletic Association proposes smoking ban in response to viral chain-smoking marathoner
    The national sports governing body proposed a ban on smoking at marathons after a local runner went viral for smoking while competing
    Editorial Staff

December 9, 2022

Before you read:

Chinese uncle chain-smokes during 26-mile marathon, beats his own record

China’s sports governing body is apparently aware of the local who went viral for smoking while participating in a marathon, and they do not approve.

Chen Bangxian, also popularly known as Uncle Chen or Smoking Brother, was photographed smoking cigarettes while running a 42-kilometer (approximately 26-mile) marathon on Nov. 6.

Despite his chain smoking, the 50-year-old finished the foot race in less than 3.5 hours and ranked 574th out of nearly 1,500 runners.

The athlete’s unhealthy indulgence during the marathon propelled him into international virality, but now the Chinese Athletic Association (CAA), which oversees the country’s athletic events, has proposed that race organizers across the country ban smoking at marathons.

On Dec. 5, the CAA issued a proposal titled “Proposal for Running Civilized and Healthy Marathons” that calls for runners to “practice and abide by the regulations on smoking bans in public places, and be civilized, healthy, and positive citizens,” reported Canadian Running.

The CAA statement, which cited “a runner smoking during a marathon [who] attracted widespread media attention and caused a negative impact on society,” directed that runners should stay away from smoking and “nurture excellent hygiene habits and a civilized way of living,” according to state-owned media outlet Sixth Tone.

It will be up to race organizers to decide whether to implement the CAA’s proposal at their events.

Over 300 million people in China, or more than a quarter of its roughly 1.4 billion citizens, smoke tobacco, according to the World Health Organization.

Any ban on smoking at marathons will come as bad news to Chen, who reportedly only smokes while running and has been doing so since at least 2018.
    Smoking is a stimulant so I suppose it could be a PED.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart