Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking

I quit smoking over a year ago (smoked 13 years, quit April 2002). My experience was way different. I used the patch, made sure that I continued to go out and drink (only not smoke) etc. The rational was that I was to continue to live life how I was, just without Cigs. I felt like using the patch gave me enough nicotine to do the normal things I did, w/o smoking, and therefore allowed me to get used to doing those things with out seriously altering my life. I tackled the psychological first, and then the physical. Now when I go out or am around smokers, I haven't had 1 weak moment, not one. For me it worked, your mileage may vary. I'd swear by the patch though.
    $0.02

-Bt

2. Thumbs up

I can only wish you strength.

I suggest you think about all the horror you will have to go trough if you keep smoking.
    Lung cancer,as mentioned,is only the TIP of the ICEBERG.

BTW,smoking can cause permanent changes in your brain and probably will if you keep on,you may be craving for it but youīll have to fight.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I have smoked for about 25 years, I have tried patches and gum etc, but I think it is down to wanting to give up and it being the right time for you.
    I am now on day 36 and having a bad day today,
    I have been taking Zyban which seems to be o.k. for me
    Good Luck
    Regards
    Peter

kudos to you. best wishes on day 37.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

How is it man? whats going on, you need to inspire me to quit!!
    Bless you

Well yesterday I smoked just 1 but after that I decided to just try it again so now I'm on day 2 again. I finally started training again today and I think that's going to help.

Wink

Dude, you can do it!!! Your better than me, remember that!!When you feel like smoking say I'm not like that punk bodhitree, Ican do this, I'm not weak like him!! you can do it!
    Bless you

Bodhitree makes a good point. Get angry, be mad. Don't let the godda mn sh1t ruin/rule your life. Are you going to be weak enough to let some stupid little chemical control you?

That's how I have to motivate myself when I am feeling weak. About two years ago I was smoking 1-2 packs per day. I smoked for about six years and my last year in college I started planning my wedding. I realized that I wanted to be able to play with my grand children, and god willing my great-grand children. I went cold turkey for about six months then broke and started to smoke 2-3 cigs every day, then it started to be 3-5. I got ****d off when I realized what was happening. I quit cold turkey again. And once more six months later I started again. And this time it was one cig a day. It was going to turn into the same old story, but this time I wised up quicker. I have been training for about 2 months now, and haven't had a cig since I started. I am now also running, and see how badly my lungs have been injured. I used to run a six min mile (two miles within 12 minutes not a single 6 min mile). Now it takes me 20-25 min to run 2 miles.

Good luck friends. I hope you make!

Andrew

day 39 still going strong
    bet you a pint I'll last longer
    Regards
    Peter

I have a party tonight and it's day 3 now so that will be the ultimate test.

You're on!

Next time i'm in England (probably in about a year or so) I'll take you up on it. I'm not sure, but I'm about 50-60 days into it. I have so totally been disgusted that even when I go to bars, and have people smoking around me I don't even feel the urge. I am raging that I have been so da mn weak! Best of luck and I hope you and I can still be carrying on this bet next year!

Andrew

change your thinking. every time you get the urge to smoke, do something to distract your body. a set of 25 pushups, going through your form(s), a couple stretches -- do something good for yourself instead of trying to fight something bad.

instead of being a smoker that's quitting, simply be someone who doesn't smoke. if you get the urge, pass it off and say to yourself, "i don't smoke."
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

13. Thumbs up

Wishing you strength!
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I go along with what RTB SAYS.
    First you have to really want to, secondly you need to make changes to your lifestyle, I went along to a smoking cessation clinic where other people were in the same situation. Also I waited until it was a time I wouldn't get so stressed ie end of the football season I had just changed jobs so had less of an urge to go to the smoking room, cut down on beer.
    Zyban seems to help too, a lot of people seem to do well with this
    Day 40 and smiling
    Regards
    Peter

How was the party?

Diamond Dragon,

Did you make the night without smoking, or did you lose your resolve?