Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dit Da Jow and Dit Da Medicine

Recipe

I have had a few request for more jow formulas, so I will post somemore ot them gor those who are interested. This first one is a simpler version of the one I posted last. It is also from my TCM teacher Dr. Peter Chow.

Cinnamomi 24gm
    Nototginseng 24gm
    Almond Kernel 24gm
    Angelica 24gm
    Flos Carthami 24gm
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

More recipes

This forumla is by a local Ba Gua, Xing Yi and Tai Chi Sifu here in Arizona, it also works very well.

Flos Carthami 12gm
    Semen Persicae 12gm
    Faeces Trogopterori 12gm
    Olibanum 12gm
    Angelica 12gm
    Radix Dipsaci 12gm
    Herba Lycopi 12gm
    Radix Clematidis 12gm
    Pyritum 12gm
    Ramulus Cinnamomi 12gm
    Caulis Akebiae 12gm
    Resina Draconis 12gm
    Cortex Acanthopanacis Radicis 12gm
    Os Tigris 12gm
    Radix Paeoniae Rubra 12gm
    Lignum Sappan 12gm
    Rhizoma Seu Radix Notopterygii 12gm
    Radix Sileris 12gm
    Radix Auklandiae 12gm
    Notoginseng 12gm
    Angelicae Dahuricae 12gm
    Cinnamomi 12gm
    Eupolyphaga Seu Steleophaga 12gm
    Semen Trichosanthis 12gm
    Tindsgoria Saiensis 12gm
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

A good Dit Da Jow must have herbs to achieve these effects: control bleeding of a contusion (bruise), dispel blood stasis, invigorate blood circulation, act as an analgesic (reduce pain), move chi in the channels, reduce swelling and heal bone fractures.

Here is a formula that does the above:

Sanguis draconis (xue jie) 15 grams
    Carthamus tinctorii (flos) (Hong Hua)10 gms
    Gummi olibanum (ru xiang)15 gms
    Myrrha (mo yao) 15 gms
    Borneol (bing pian) 3 gms
    Pyritum (zi ran tong) 15 gms
    Acacua seu Uncaria (er cha) 5 gms
    Radix Pseudoginseng(San Qi) 8gms

You can get all of these herbs in any Chinatown herb store.
    I use a special formula which has additional herbs that are only grown by myself and not found in the stores, and is better than the above formula. But the above formula will work well for most injuries.

Put the herbs in a ceramic pot with enough water to cover the herbs. Bring to a hard boil (covered) for 5 minutes and then let stand for 24 hours. Put hte herbs and liquid into a wide mouth glass jar and pour in strong alcohol (ratio of alcohol to the boiled water/herb decoction should be 90% alcohol 10% decoction). Let stand in a dark warm place for several weeks before using. Do not store in sunlight and keep tightly capped.

Use of any Dit Da Jow must be accompanied by proper massage and reduction technique to the injured area for it to work well. For severe swelling from an injury, apply the jow with very light massage and then ice in the first 24 hours. After that use massage and jow, no ice. When the swelling has subsided, use jow, massage, a hot compress to the area and then more jow and massage.

This formula can also be used for any of the iron gongs training such as iron palm.

Do not take the jow internally and keep it out of your eyes and away from sensitive skin areas (if you know what I mean!)

GHD

GHD

I agree with you on everything you said, except fot the point of using ice for 24 hours. We must come from 2 different schools of theory. The use of ice will distract from the herbs which help blood and qi flow. Ice causes the blood to slow down and possibly become stagnant. This is the opposite of what you want to do in my opinion. Again, this is my opinion and doesn't always mean much, but this is how it has been passed down to me by my teacher. The idea of using cold is both a contemparay theory as well as a western medical theory.

With that said, I enjoyed your post. I didn't mention the massaging techniques, due to the same as mentioned above, there are 2 different schools of thoughts on that as well. We don't massage lightly usually, usually we massage firmly with a sedative technique.
    Last edited by azwingchun; 02-18-2003 at 09:09 PM.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Jow forumlas

I have posted before that is anyone wants the rest of the formulas I have, feel free to e-mail me. My e-mail is chandlerwingchun@cox.net .

By the way, I mentioned to other board members that my written formulas have both the Chinese characters with them and the Latin. But my scanner is down, so I can't scan them with the Chinese Characters for another week or so. But I will be more than happy to e-mail the Latin form if interested. Enjoy.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

:)

Thanks Guys

keep away from sensitive skin areas (if you know what I mean!
    hehe .. my teacher student was a brick layer and it ended up that he gradually recommended some jow tohis work makes for back pain, sore knees etc as builders would get... anyway he one day toldthe story that one of the builders rubbed jow on his elbow and soon after had to go to the toilet, forgetting his had not washed his hands after using the jow especially since that jow permiate (? mean go into) the skin and so not oily etc.. but anyways in the process of going to the toilet he touched his "sensitive skin area" and was VERY unconfortable!!!

Cold or Heat in acute injurt management is always a debate, i think it comes down to personal choice and particualr injuries also, sometimes a combination, there is much information for and against both sides.

thanks for sharing

BB

AZ
    Ice is only used in the first 24 hours and only used if there is swelling (after that use heat). Heat used on swelling right after an injury will only cause more swelling to get rid of. Similar, massage soon after an injury must be light so as not to aggravate the injury. The light massage is light right on the injury and gets heavier the further you move away from the focus of the injury.
    I agree with you about different schools of thought, but I have successfully treated injuries (including severe contusions to the bone) this way for over 25 years.

GHD

GHD

I think BearBear summed it up best. Personal choice is where it seems to be. I personally have only been using massage and the healing arts maybe 7 or 8 years, these techniques I speak about work just as well for me, as yours seems to for you. My teacher has also been using this system his entire career. For what it is worth my grandmother used very similar techniques as my Sifu.

As far as using heat on severe trauma, I never said that we use heat if you read my post, I actually said we don't use ice for this. Though, after re-reading my post I can see where you would get that from how it is written. In fact, what we do do, is use touching techniques and use what is referred to as cold qi to sedate. I don't know what your belief is when it comes to using energy to heal, but this is my main area of study right now. I am sure some will have their comments about this. LOL!

But, as I said prior, it is great to see varying view points from other healers. So, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Nice chatting with you.

John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Principles

FWIW, I believe the principle is consistant across all cultures.

Circulation brings healing power. Heat increases circulation by opening capillaries. Cold closes them down, squeezing out dead blood, or diminishing the bleeding of broken capillaries.

The preparations topically applied improve circulation and combined with massage clear up the area so fresh new blood can move through and heal.

Ice is good to prevent the collection of dead blood into a "fresh" bruise. Hot and cold in alternation will "pump" blood through an injured area. Heavy massage on a fresh bruise is counter productive, as it both hurts and doesnt do anything to stop the internal bleeding.

To my understanding there is very little that can penetrate the skin. DMSO is one example. I have my doubts as to the herbs, but nothing would surprise me, as the results I've had from topical herbal treatments (various liniments, poltices, baths etc) have been undeniably effective and verifiable. Many Jaus aren't supposed to be used on broken skin, which indicates they don't penetrate the skin anyway (hopefully??). Analgesics don't require penetration to diminish pain. Some of the Iron Palm stuff kills nerves and causes callouses to grow with proper "massage". It can also cripple your hands so be advised lads.

I'm no doctor, or physio, I can only speak from my own experience.

I'm more scientist than shaman by nature, but reality is reality and there is lots I simply can't explain, but trust nevertheless.

AZ

I was not agreeing or disagreeing, just stating my school of thought and experience.

YC

With proper training and jow there is no damage to the trained hand (crippled) and there are no callouses.

GHD

If someone were to practice bonesetting in the US, what would be some of the things that they would have to be careful about so they won't get sued?

There is certification for accpunture and tuina but none for bonesetting.

What legal issues should the bonesetter keep in mind? This is probably the same issues related to people who practice other holistic arts such as Reiki, and what not.

Be careful about recommending excercises? Move to chinatown and practice there since the Chinese already know and are comforable about bonesetting? Only see people that are referred to you?

GHD

That's fine, I wasn't argueing either. As I stated, it is always nice to share varying viewpoints on this matter. Thanks for sharing yours.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

IRON PALM

There is 2 ways to do it, the right way and the wrong way.

FT hi & things going okay so thanks for asking & I'm getting schit sling by some stupid trolls so thats mean I doing okay on this forum stuffs too. This thread is really clean & isn't it great to see so much open sharing of stuffs mostly in past kept behind doors & this is where power of this Internet shows to be real I think. I read where you say right & wrong way with Iron Palm & I think there are right ways & many many wrong ways so what are you allowed to say about right way as you know it as theres plenty of craps on wrong ways that young guys mess with & wind up with some really screwed up hands sometimes for life & sometimes can be fixed from what I see of this thing. Here's a deal I make with you for the forum guys okay & if you post something without getting youself in trouble with your Sifu on right way of Iron Palm as your Pai knows it & make it something they can use then I post something on fingers from my hand that makes for stabbing fingers for these guys that they can use okay.

DT

I will share some knowledge on YKM iron hand skill. We have 3 levels as i once mentioned each have 3-4 stages of hardness and softness. Meds and chi kung to heal and settle the chi and blood as well as different formulas for each level of training.

level 1 is static and slaps onto a bag of rice or peas for stage 1 with herbs inside the bag if you like to add the herbs. The hand exercise isnt much different to most other arts but the meds, chi gung, herbs are different etc. One must start gentle and learn focus, timing, correct bone alignment, breathing, from a short distance we drop or hit the bag to develop the heavy hand and short power but its done very gentley at the begining working up to many reps without injuried or calousos. Old crude methods like stabbing the fingers can be bad but will condition faster and give you health problems. I also have been told that rusty nails was also used in jow to make it more potent but i never use the rusty nails.

this is all i will say for now, please talk of your hand!?

REGARD
    FT