Thread: The good old "resisting" opponent.

Wink The good old "resisting" opponent.

Can we call someone who is not resisting an "opponent"?...Why not call him a training partner or something?
    A real opponent is not only someone "resisting" but could be as well trying to hurt you.
    This expression should be put in the same place as ..."The good grappler" T.M.

I shut up for now!

someone who is not resisting is a mook jong

someone who resists you is an opponent and a training partner.

non resistance is only good for demonstration of technique. It's not very helpful for attempting real application and actually takes away from the experience in my opinion.

get's as boring as hitting a bag again and again.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hmmm.

When we do a 2-man exercise and drill naturally my partner/opponent has to resist, otherwise it would be same as doing it alone and visualising the partner/opponent.

Tui Shou for example is co-operative, but your partner/opponent is still resisting.
    Witty signature under construction.

Yes, to spar it requires two people pretending they are not Taoists.

what about if u do chi sau or tui shou? you push, i go back, you pull i come forward - is that resisting?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Pulling would be changing the initial flow.

Resistance is mostly a grappling term. Resisting a punch is either evading, deflecting or getting hit.

not resisting is what i do if my training partner is being too rough. i just let him beat on me and think he is doing the technique properly. i get excellent conditioning, and the jerk gets nothing.

Sounds good. Make a deal with him. Tell him he can beat up on you for 2 minutes if you can then get one clean left.

We practice our techniques straight, but we do make sure that we spar each other regularly.

As much as we can, we try to "real time" and "real force" it. There's a limit in training to what one can do, of course. We also try to teach the entries and counters to techniques because opponents usually do not comply with what you're trying to do to them.

Sparring is NOT a substitute for real fighting, but it's the best I can do. If anybody has better solutions, I'd love to know about them.

I guess challenging other schools to death matches is out...

Besides, it's hard to get your mouth to move out of synch with the words as you issue the challenge and wave your arms around in a menacing manner.

Of course you have to finish the challenge with an insult and a goofy menancing laugh for effect, also out of synch with your mouth movements.

Amazing what one CAN learn from old Kung Fu movies...

Sparring works very well.
    Fighting is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

A year from now, no one will remember who used what style, or what technique, only who prevailed.