Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone sparred an MMA guy?

Has anyone sparred an MMA guy?

Has anyone sparred an MMA guy? What happened? I would think that these guys learn good fighting skills without all the forms and what not. I may take some classes ..

A student of Rolls Gracie invited me to his private class.
    Rolls walks in the room and the student introduces us and then tells Rolls I'm gonna try my stuff on him.
    It was sorta like supposed to be sparring, but to an observer it would look like he was demonstrating his techniques on a dummy.

Funny thing, I knew the moves he did, it is just that he was very good at them.

Then it was two hours of drill sparring.
    That is sparring trying to apply one of two techniques.
    I loved it and would like to do more of this brand of MA.
    So I would encourage you to try it out.

I sparr MMA guys every week. They smell abit different from TMA dudes, but besides that its all about the person, not the style.

Oh, and religion, MMA guys are pagans.

strike!

Originally posted by yenhoi
    Yes.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

yes.

one guy was what i would call a "charger".

another guy was "grabby"

they weren't awful, overall, but technique needed a lot of work.

I suppose i will get the opportunity to spar with an mma ist with plenty of skill one day though.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sure. My Sifu. And he could F me up at will. Although his focus was a bit different from what is being touted as the typical MMA guy on the boards. He wasn't a shooter, and had studied TCMA for 26 years in addition to having boxed, cross-trained in grappling, JKD, and who knows what else.

Yesterday, I met a prospective student (high school senior) who had learned a mix of hapkido, classical Japanese jujitsu, Western wrestling, and karate.

In our sparring match, he attacked me and secured me with a headlock. I grabbed him back, so then he picked me up to throw me down. I held onto him so that I wouldn't take the full floor impact (still took a hard hit, though).

On the ground, he had me in that side headlock still. Luckily, my hands were free. I grabbed his trachea with my right hand and put my thumb into his right eye, which was all I could've done.

Of course, neither of us got hurt because we were just sparring. But that guy could've hurt me badly if he really wanted to - and chances are that I'd could've hurt him too.

He liked what we did, and I liked what he did. I hope he comes to class so that we can spar some more.

"On the ground, he had me in that side headlock still. Luckily, my hands were free. I grabbed his trachea with my right hand and put my thumb into his right eye, which was all I could've done.

"

Or you could learn some basic ground fighting. Escaping from a headlock is groundfighting 101. If you go out and buy Renzo Gracies book, and Gene Simco's BBJ basics and BJJ the master text you will have a good starting point. Reaching for a trachea and trying an eye gouge is desperation, not Martial art.

why by the gracie manual when you can get it for free by grabbing the us army h2h manual.

It's basically all gracie stuff.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

definitely take some classes. It can only help.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What???

What on earth do you mean that "Reaching for the traches and eye gouging is desperation, not martial art"???Attacking the eyes is most certainly part of a martial artists repertoire, and attacking the throat too. They are most certainly legitimate, and in real life circumstances will probably save your life too (if pertinent to the situation).
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

i fought a mma guy. he tried to shoot in on me so i gouged him in the eyes and he fell over screaming and i laughed and laughed.

LOL!!!

I fought an MMA guy once. As he shot in, I backed up and pointed behind him and said " LOOK!!! It's ROYCE!!!!!"

When he turned to look, I kicked him in the back of the head with a jumping spin 360 side kick, and knocked him out cold.

I landed soft and smooth, like nothing happened, and grined (see)---------------->
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by yenhoi
    I sparr MMA guys every week. They smell abit different from TMA dudes, but besides that its all about the person, not the style.

how'd you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Reaching for a trachea and trying an eye gouge is desperation, not Martial art.
    That's news to me. Traching is one of my favorites as well as the favorite of several instructors I've had.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.