Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lee Fut's signature form?

Blog Entries
    Tat Mau Wong calls it "Cross Pattern Grabbing Fist"

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Fair enough.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

May be grappling and hitting in a cross pattern.

Thanks again!!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I call it the "Cross Pattern Hook Strike Fist Form"

CLFNole,
    years ago my old sifu called sup gi " the great escape form" and i even saw it mentioned on a certificate he got from LKH - it said Sup Gi Kao Da - 'Great Escape'. Have you ever heared of this before? Could be like a call name for the form or something like that?
    E

Wong Doc Fai's book ("Choy Li Fut Kung-Fu") translates Sup Ji Gau Da Kuen as Cross Pattern of Kau-Da Hand Form.

I think Cross Pattern Hook Strike Fist is a good translation.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

I call it Sup Gee Kow Da Kuen. To me the chinese doesn't translate well to english. So I call it what it is, I am not much for calling the forms with english names the chinese is easier actually.

Peace.

P.S. Eddie, never heard that one before. Remember at the time when Morne followed LKH he never little if any english and his students at the university would have helped him with the english. If you have sifu's 1st book you can see their english translations were not that good.

Dai Sup Ji Kow Da Kuen

I have heard it translated to "Big Cross Fighting Fist".

Does anyone train the Block Tiger Fist: Jit Fu Kuen? I don't hear this set mentioned much.
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

Blog Entries
    Didn't know there was a form with that name. I know we use the Jit Fu Choy technique quite a bit in our forms.

CLFNole/Fu Pow - Is Jit Fu Choy used in any other stance beside Gwai Ma and Kau Ma in the LKH forms?

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Weaving together

To Golden A. :

I have always known it as Kau= hooks, Dah=strike.
    The hook being similar to what ej said, as in hooking together, or weaving together two buttons on a coat.

Makes sense in that this is a form which interconnects the main concepts on a technical level.

GSC

Blog Entries
    CLFNole/Fu Pow - Is Jit Fu Choy used in any other stance beside Gwai Ma and Kau Ma in the LKH forms?
    I assume you are referring to a downward lower block. My Sifu calls that move "Bei" but I'm not sure what that means.

The Fu Ying form uses that technique from a leaning horse stance. I believe the stance is called Ji Ng Ma.

You could really do that motion from a lot of different stances as long as you have the weight transfer and power generation correct. Thats the cool thing about CLF.

Blog Entries
    Fu Pow- do you know off the top of your head if it's done in Ji Ng Ma or Sei Ping Ma in any form? Just curious.

I heard that back in the day, Tat Mau Wong was the full contact ring fighter guy, and Mak Hin Fai was the Kong Sau, street fighter guy. Pretty sweet!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    Yut yee sam-

Ji Ng Ma I believe.

I'll try to describe the movement.

You just did a right hand fu jow while standing on your left leg in a crane stance.

You swing both hands down in a circular motion and to the right while you step forward on to your right foot.

You jump off that same right foot and as your hands complete their circle over your head your left hand blocks up and to the left. Your right hand blocks out and down with a closed fist. The stance you end up in is not quite bow stance and not quite horse stance. Its in between, like a Ji Ng Ma.

A bow stance ....but the back leg is not quite straight.

I learned that particular move in sei ping ma, but you could do it in a leaning horse as well. I think I have it in a lok gwai ma in a real old video I have.

I really don't like the sei ping ma much and prefer a bit of a lean.

Peace.

P.S. the part in Sub Gee you guys are referring to is generally referred to kow ma jeet sow, sheung ma bei fu. Jeet sow would be intercepting arm/fist. Bei fu not sure don't think it means "northern tiger" thats for sure.