Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choy Lee Fut's signature form?

Choy Lee Fut's signature form?

Does Choy Lee Fut have a "signature' form? I know that several styles have a form that is considered to embody the arts core principles, fighting style, etc.--such as Hung Gar has their Tiger and Crane form. I heard once that Choy Lee Fut's was called something like "cross-lock form" or something similiar.

If anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cheese Dog
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Signature form

I think Dutch would be able to answer this best BUT if I am not mistaken our sifu said that the signature form for Chan Family Choy Lee Fut is Siu Moi Fah ('small plum flower fist' for those that don't know). Hope this helps.

Sam

hey Dutch, eat any chicken heads lately?

"If you want wierd, reality delivers it"- Terry Gilliam
    Last edited by Diu Sao; 02-21-2003 at 01:12 AM.

Siu Mui Fah is the "essential" form of CLF.

A lot of people would also argus that "Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen" is one of the pillar forms. This might vary due to the different branches of CLF however this form is generally a common one shared.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 02-21-2003 at 10:14 AM.

Diu Sao (Sam),

I think what Sifu meant was that the Siu Mui Fa Kuen is probably the most "common" and recognized form between the different CLF schools, but I think CLF Nole is correct in answering Cheese Dog's question of "signature" form with the "Sup Ji Kow Da Kuen." That form seems to be the most talked about in the past and it has just about all the seeds of CLF in it. But like all my posts in the past, it's just my opinion. :-)

And no Sam, I haven't had any Chicken Heads lately! :-) See you soon.
    Dutch

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by CLFNole
    A lot of people would also argus that "Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen" is one of the pillar forms. This might vary due to the different branches of CLF however this form is generally a common one shared.

Peace.
    CLFNole-
    Did the LKH school ever have a "Siu Sup Gee" form? Tat Mau Wong does, and it is just a shortened version of Sup Gee Kau Dah. Any time I'm requested to show CLF, I always default to Siu Sup Gee.
    Now that I've learned it, I'm now in the process of learning SGKDK.

By the way, how do you hold your thumb during Chum Kiu? I tend to hold it like I hold it for Chuin Nau, but I was told to keep it at the side. Just curious.

Thanks!
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

123:

Siu Sup Gee Kow Dah is a shortened version of Dai Sup Gee Kow Dah, which is simply Sup Gee Kow Dah. The shorter version was likely created for demonstration and touraments.

Actually in Sub Gee I keep the thumb close to my palm (the part is chum kiu sun kiu). In plum flower (the beginning) I keep the thumb off the palm a little but not like the chin lah where separation is more important. Chin lah is a block and grab move and therefore the opening between the thumb and palm allows for better grabbing.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 02-21-2003 at 07:06 PM.

Re: Choy Lee Fut's signature form?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cheese Dog
    [B]Does Choy Lee Fut have a "signature' form? I know that several styles have a form that is considered to embody the arts core principles, fighting style, etc.--such as Hung Gar has their Tiger and Crane form.

There are forms common to all schools and there are "essential" forms for a particular level of teaching. There are also individual "signiture" forms and individually "favored" forms but I do not think there is one single "signiture" form for the whole of CLF according to Cheese Dog's definition, because there are many forms that can be said to embody the arts core principles, fighting style, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

Signature: Sup Gee Kow Dah Ch'uan.

nospam.

Extrajoseph actually put it best...I was trying to be more specific with my answer, but what joseph said is really the correct way of looking at it. At different levels there are different forms that embody a lot of that particular levels techniques and ideas to be learned. There is just variety in Choy Lee Fut, that it would be unlikely to actually find "one" particular form that all the branches would agree upon as "THE" form.

Sincerely,
    Dutch

Agreed, it would probably be more well stated to say that "sup gee kow dah kuen" and/or "sui moh fa kuen" are the most well-known CLF forms.

Hung gar doesn't have too many hand forms so it might be easier to say that gung gee fook fu kuen or fu hok sheung ying are the pillar forms. CLF has so many hand forms it is difficult to say. I took the question as being most well known.

Peace.

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your replies!!

What does "Sup Ji Kow Da Kuen" translate to in english? And does anyone know any links to clips of this form?

Thanks again.

Cheese Dog
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

just remember that sup is "+" and ji is character, so is cross and kow da I don't know.
    Last edited by JAZA; 02-22-2003 at 11:19 AM.

Originally posted by JAZA
    just remember that sup is "+" and ji is character, so is cross and kow da I don't know.
    The Chinese cotton buttons on your Kung Fu jacket where they interlock each other when you do them up are called a "kow". So "kow" means to interlock, to join together and "da" is to hit, to strike. We know what "sup ji" is, so how should we translate the name of this form into English?

Cross-Pattern Striking Fist
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm