Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Lam kung fu and other video reviews??

Gold Horse Dragon Guest
    Greetings Gene,

A martial arts aquaintance of mine said to me that he heard from a Wing Lam student that the videos on sets (kuen) have something different or left out than what is taught for each set in the Kwoon, so that your sifu and students could tell if a person learn't by video. To me, it makes no sense at all...your sifu would know whether he taught a student in person or not and I know that this aquaintance of mine is always trashing. However, I am interested in your comment regarding this. Thanks in advance!
    GHD :cool:

Kymus Guest
    My Sifu has a few video series out through ESPY-TV. I currently only own the first tape in the JKD series, but plan on buying the full Kali series real soon. In the JKD series, he goes over thigns very well and has some of the assnt instructors help. I think he did a great job with it. I also own a few tapes by Tat Mau Wong on the Shoalin Staff and 5 Animals. He goes over them very well showing different angles and slow motion. he also adds in comments during the form. My only gripe is that not enough applications are shown, especially in the 5 animals form. But the ones he does show he goes over atleast 3 or 4 times, and really gives you an understanding of the application. Another video series I am starting to gather is the Long Fist series by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming. The video is put together very well. Many many applications are shown and that makes me feel good, giving me a better understanding of things. The only real complaint I have with the vids is that the slow motion, or follow along speed really isn't slow enough and I often have to put my vcr on slow mo so I can do it at an understanding pace. I plan on buying some of Wing Lam's vids soon also.

-Kymus

~Crosstraining is the key~
    -Sifu Rick Tucci
    www.pamausa.com

GeneChing Guest

SifuAbel & Gold Horse Dragon

SifuAble,
    I was at that tournament, but forgive me if I don't remember you. Come by the office here in Fremont sometime and refresh my memory!

Gold Horse Dragon,
    I wish we could have been that premeditated in our video production to do something you suggest, but no. It was enough of an effort just to make the videos. However, I will admit that there are a few of us who CAN tell the difference between Wing Lam's video students and the ones that come to his school, but not because of some intentional deletion. The reason is that we can only put so much into a video.

A video is a wonderful resource and can put out as much as info as intensive private lesson at a fraction of the price, plus you don't have to take notes because you have the video. However, if you are a direct student, who knows how many such lessons you might receive over the course of a year. So of course, there is a difference. Videos are great but there is simply no substitute for direct transmission.

After writing over 100 videos(for both Wing Lam and now for TC Media,) let me tell you, making videos a lot of work (that is, if you want to do them well.) I have always made an effort to give more context, more history and more translations. And that is the most telling clue for me to identify video students - the knowledge, not the moves. For example, an article was submitted to the magazine recently about the animals of Ha Say Fu. I read it and though "man, that sounds familiar." Then it hit me, it was directly from the videos I wrote, almost word-for-word.

This is happening more and more. Lately I get my own research spit back at me all twisted up - from people who didn't listen well or learned from a teacher who used the videos as a source. It's really funny to me. I guess I'm flattered.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com

Gold Horse Dragon Guest
    Hi Gene,

Thanks for the reply...it is as I thought - my aquaintance doing more trashing...sheesh!
    Article with word for word what you wrote for the tape script...again - sheesh!...I guess he did not know where else to research, but word for word!...must have been a short article, because as you say, you can't fit an over amount on a tape. Did this guy do Ha Say Fu or was he just writing on it?...if he does it, he should have asked his sifu a lot about it.
    GHD

GeneChing Guest

ha say fu you may do

Actually, if you compile all the video narrations together, you can flesh out a decent length article. He tied it together with some other comments, but there were large sections that were directly plagerized. I suppose it's good to know that those videos are being studied carefully, since that was our intention.

The guy did do ha say fu, at least from the videos. I don't know if he had another source beyond that. It certainly didn't sound like it.

Plagery is such poor "wude." I struggle to remain unattached. Once I've published something, it belongs to the readers. But I do try to keep track of anyone who might be stealing my credit, especially since this is how I make my living. You can take or leave my writings, but please leave my food on my plate, I do have a family to feed.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com

Wing Lam Kung fu

has anyone ever heard of Wing Lam and his Kung Fu learning dvds at www.wle.com? I was just wondering so i could know how good they were if they were at all.

There are video clips on youtube and probably exerpts from the instructional sections as well.

IMO the are average in that they satisfy what the standard of the time was to teach a Form and give some literal movement applications.

Are you looking to learn some forms or to gain insight into combat/self defense?

There's a lot on Wing Lam here, Raipizo

Play with the search engine and you'll find more. Meanwhile, I've merged your thread to one of our older ones that was similar.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i've noticed lol Well i was looking forward to learning his shaolin style kung fu.