Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grappling Gi

Thumbs up Grappling Gi

I never thought I'd be asking this, much less wearing one, but here I am. Who makes a good BJJ or Judu gi? I started BJJ and we will be practicing with gis. It doesn't have to be anything too fancy.

Also, I'm wondering what the style difference is between BJJ with a gi and without (other than one wears a gi...). Thanks,
    adam
    Last edited by lowsweep; 02-22-2003 at 10:51 AM.
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

The Gracies say that their gis are superior to others.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

You'll have a broader range of techniques when using a gi (collar chokes, belt techniques, etc).
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

For bjj gi, you can try atama and howard's combat kimonos. Adidas makes a good one also. For judo, I use Judo Star.

There is an immense difference between gi and no gi, as you have no gi to grab onto. the gi is used for leverage (holding people in place), choking, pulling, etc. It alot easier to grab a gi than it is a sweaty rashguarded arm... you'll see.

Congrats on starting bjj - you'll love it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think a terrycloth bathrobe should be fine.

And an ascot.

And bunny slippers.

And a bubble pipe.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Sounds like a standard taiji uniform.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Don't be ridiculous. We taiji players are much too delicate for terrycloth - it would result in untold numbers of injuries if we were to try that. We require silk.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

What about the guys that wear cotton or polyester? Are they stronger or just cheap?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

That's not REAL taiji.
    Crippled Avenger

Ah. That makes sense. I think you should use the bubble pipe though. You can practice various ways of shoting bubbles and say it's your chi.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

11. Thumbs up

Does it really make any difference?
    I mean do they really make separate giīs for bjj and judo peeps?
    It is hard enough to tell a difference between most JMA etc. type giīs.Just Get-Gi (good enough)
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Also, the soapsuds make it difficult for your opponent to get a good grip on you, and bubbles floating in the air between you and your foe can be a ninjaesque distract-and-evade type weapon.

The bubblepipe is the most underrated of all kungfu weapons.
    Crippled Avenger

13. Thumbs up

Pop-eyes pipe would seem threatening for health.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

On the one hand, Popeye encourages kids to eat healthy vegetables. On the other, he's a role model who smokes what is probably tobacco.

Probably in the end, he has a net effect of zero on the health of the youth. But he also teaches to stand up to bullies, work hard, don't give up, and don't be a moocher like Wimpy. I think in the end, his moral example overcomes the issues of nicotine addiction.
    Crippled Avenger

u gotta be really extra careful when grappling the jamie cowboy rugged guys because they have no feelings and probably play too much about stuff like you have to watch you're testicles they have no mercy and will put you in these moves where you're testicles can get all torsed and twisted and you no longer feel like a man after about 5 months of grappling like this so u just say screw it and get a sex change and end up marrying a sailor or a west coast rapper guy and being his boo all because you should have wore your cup while grappling so make sure you wear a good cup ok ?