Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grappling Gi

1. Thumbs up

Pop-eye has no idea about bodybuilding.
    His forearms are huge,but upper arms are skinny-very odd imbalance.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by Former castleva
    Does it really make any difference?
    I mean do they really make separate giīs for bjj and judo peeps?
    It is hard enough to tell a difference between most JMA etc. type giīs.Just Get-Gi (good enough)
    Yeah, it makes a diference. Judo gis are longer, and not as stiff. A really stiff gi is harder to do chokes on and keep hold of - A really stiff gi is illegal in judo competition.

In bjj, I've learned some chokes where you pull the bottom of your gi out and use it to help facilitate the choke. In judo, that may not be as efficient because you have to pull that extrra length from under the belt.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

As far as the standard JMA gi you mentioned, they aren't designed for grappling - they are way to flimsy. If you do any serious grappling in one, it won't last you a good two weeks. Judo and bjj gi are much heavier.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I like both Adidas and Mizuno gis. You can probably get by with a relatively inexpensive judo gi from Hsu, Tiger Claw, etc. for regular practice, especially when you start. Having it easier to have chokes applied isn't necessarily a bad thing if you view it as an additional challenge.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

5. Thumbs up

Thank you for additional information Sevenstar.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I like the Atama gold weaves. BUT, they shrink. Mine shrinks to fit me perfectly. You may not be so lucky
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

A BJJ/judo gi has diagonal (crossed) sewings for enhanced durability.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Originally posted by kenso
    I like both Adidas and Mizuno gis. You can probably get by with a relatively inexpensive judo gi from Hsu, Tiger Claw, etc. for regular practice, especially when you start. Having it easier to have chokes applied isn't necessarily a bad thing if you view it as an additional challenge.
    yeah, that's true. I wear a judo gi to bjj.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I guess Mizuno has a stylized M on it's gi?

If so, that's the one I just ordered for the class I just
    started. I think it's what this school uses as it's standard
    uniform but it sounds like it's a step up.

cool.

Atama gold-weave. My one and only. I'll be sticking with Atama when it comes time to buy number two.

KF kimonos look good too. And have been recommended to me.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Originally posted by TaoBoy
    Atama gold-weave. My one and only. I'll be sticking with Atama when it comes time to buy number two.
    Royce wannabe!
    No, but seriously, I guess they're pretty good.

KF kimonos look good too.
    What are they?
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Judo gis are longer, and not as stiff. A really stiff gi is harder to do chokes on and keep hold of - A really stiff gi is illegal in judo competition.
    Just to clarify a little.

BJJ gi's are tighter fitting (narrower sleeves) and have a slightly shorter "skirt" area. depending on the manf. the pants may have reinforcement patches on the entire leg as opposed to just the knee as judo pants.

"stiffness" isn't just a trait assoc. with one style but actually the weave of a gi.

single weave, golden weave, double weave, and illegal tripple weave (very uncommon)