Thread: Temple teachings in America- some questions.

ninja turtle Guest

Temple teachings in America- some questions.

What are the teachings of Buddhist temples like(purely religious/philosophical or martial as well?)?
    How would one go about becoming a monk? What are the responsibilities that come with such a decision? What is monastic life like? Do you have to pay taxes? How different are the temples from country to country? Are you allowed to leave?

Thank you for your potential replies.

qwackdragon Guest

monkdom

if you want to be a budast monk go to where the monks are. try the yellow pages for the nearest tempel. go to the library for books on religion. :D

tanglangman Guest
    Are you saying that you would like to become a monk?

If so why?

I new someone who started spending time at a buddhist retreat. Not sure if it was a monastery or not. I didn't know him very well as he was a brother of one of my friends. I know that he used to go for a few weeks at a time and then come home. He seemed to like it there but said that it was hard giving some of the things up that he enjoyed (e.g. smoking pot)

Sorry that's all the info that I have. The monk way of life is not easy and I doubt that you will find one that does m/a but I might be wrong.

If they say that you aren't allowed to leave then it's a cult. If they ask that you donate your money to the monastery then I would be suspisious of this too. If you do decide to be a monk you should be able to leave if you wish to. Although you'll probaly have to lift a huge boiling hot caldron with a dragon and a tiger on either side out of the way of the door. HA HA HA

JJMantis Guest
    Buddhists do give up a lot of stuff, like meat also. Jet Li is (was?) a devout Buddhist and strict vegetarian. Self-deprivation is a way to get away from the evils of the world. Through meditation you are supposed to gain understanding of the universe. Yes, go get a book or go to temple and find out what it's like.

As far as donating money, do it if you <em>want</em> to. Like any religious body, they need to pay for their temple somehow. To expect to go there and eat, sleep, and train for nothing in return is rude. I think they should offer all this for nothing, but ask you to donate what you want. More than likely if you are looking for kung fu, you will find something like wah lum where you pay a set rate and learn for a few weeks to a few months. Although I believe even there you can become a full-time, live-in student.

ninja turtle Guest

I don't know if I want to become a monk- though it is a possibility.

I no longer do ANY drugs.

I have been a strict Vegetarian for five years.

I love to read. I love to learn.

I don't mind hard work- I just don't like taxes.

I would become a nomad who lived off the land- but for one man to do that, and live well by himself, is near impossible.

Martial arts are another aspect of understanding yourself and others. I would feel the need to practice what kung fu I already know, if I didn't learn anything new while being taught philosophies and meditative practices. To exercise the mind and the spirit, but not the body, is not a complete exercise. One should exercise them all equally.