Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strength without weight gains, but no time...

Originally posted by ElPietro

I really have to disagree strongly with this statement. I think just because education is formal doesn't really mean anything to me. In fact, I feel that formal education is inferior in many cases.
    Would you rather have surgery done by a doctor who had formal, medical school training or one who was "self-educated?

If you study this field as a career, you are doing it for money, and maybe because you also enjoy it. But once you are in the field, and making whatever you make, there isn't as much incentive to keep up to date with new findings.
    Keeping up with the new findings in the field is one of the chief ways to innovate professionally, which is how one stays in business.

Maybe I misunderstood. You agreed with what I stated, and I have no formal education, so either you believe that I'm right, or I'm wrong, but regardless of where I received my information, should not change that fact.
    The info you provide was definitely on the mark. I have no problem with the information you relayed in this post.

The problem is, someone who is "self-taught" is more likely to make errors when dispensing advice over time. Also the person with the "formal education" is more likely to know when something is out of his/her field of expertise and will know when to refer someone who is more specialized in a certain area.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 03-07-2003 at 01:12 PM.

If you study this field as a career, you are doing it for money, and maybe because you also enjoy it. But once you are in the field, and making whatever you make, there isn't as much incentive to keep up to date with new findings.
    You obviously have not received formal education, and then attempted to live off of that skill in the competitive marketplace. Your statement gives away your hand. Every professional that attempts to make money from their education knows that formal education is just the start.

I just want to say, that your statement is completey off the mark. Do you think doctors, engineers, scientists, computer scientists, biologists, astronomers, and business executives are still stuck in the technologies and theories of the 70's??? You gotta be kidding me.

Formal education simply provides a framework of understanding, as well as a bigger picture and perspective to other fields, so you can gain perspective later in your career. It provides methodologies of study and research, as well as current but limited skill set in any particular field of study. And every field almost without exception is a moving target.

This is not black and white either. All education is good, whether formal or informal. What you say is usually very good, informative, and up to date. That is a good thing. Just because it is not formal, does not mean it is not good. But conversely, just because some education is formal, that does not make it bad or any other thing. It is what it is.

The other advantage to "formal education" is the skills it gives you in terms of being able to critically evaluate the "latest findings" and make informed decisions as to the validity or lack thereof of new research.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Increase strength without increasing weight. Two to three times a week. Can lift twice a week. Twenty minutes at a time...

Sit or stand. fingertips on table. Hands keyboard's width apart (slightly more than shoulder's width)( like playing a piano three octaves between the pinkies).

Standing: hips over the center of your feet. Sitting: push your hips into your thighs.

Aftarms as attached to your body; elbows positioned distally.

Make contact yet have the concept of do other than touch. You should be feeling something at your pectoralis regions, your front deltoids, along your forarms and around your stomach.

To round this off for the arms change only the hands, putting them under the table /desk (if it wasn't a counter :-) ). Again make and Keep contact. Yet have the concept of do other than touch.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Originally posted by No_Know
    Increase strength without increasing weight. Two to three times a week. Can lift twice a week. Twenty minutes at a time...

Sit or stand. fingertips on table. Hands keyboard's width apart (slightly more than shoulder's width)( like playing a piano three octaves between the pinkies).

Standing: hips over the center of your feet. Sitting: push your hips into your thighs.

Aftarms as attached to your body; elbows positioned distally.

Make contact yet have the concept of do other than touch. You should be feeling something at your pectoralis regions, your front deltoids, along your forarms and around your stomach.

To round this off for the arms change only the hands, putting them under the table /desk (if it wasn't a counter :-) ). Again make and Keep contact. Yet have the concept of do other than touch.
    What?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Blog Entries

What? (by Serpent)

Press without trying to press. Lift without trying to lift.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Re: What? (by Serpent)

Originally posted by No_Know
    Press without trying to press. Lift without trying to lift.
    OK, I kinda understand now.

I think.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Blog Entries
    I think you get the idea. But it might not make sense to you.

I think No_Know's advocating dynamic tension exercises. Trying to do a curl with an object that won't move, like a counter or a table.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Blog Entries
    But no conscious constriction of the muscles.

Steady but not forced...

Lift/push without contracting.