Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun techs in MMA competitions

Wing Chun techs in MMA competitions

This is directed mainly to Kenwingjitsu and is a spin-off from the sparring thread, but anyone else with MMA competition experience please feel free to respond.

KWJ, what Wing Chun techniques, strategies, approaches, etc. have you been able to apply in your matches? What things did you have problems with or were unable to apply?

Knifefighter, I had replied o the other thread before i saw this so here it is again

Bong sao....definitely bong-sau, as well as the odd pak-sao and INTERCEPTION. Intercepting the opponents forward motion with a simple attack (straight punch or straight kick), and of course, LOTS of chain punches. I won my first fight by decision I think based on the sheer voulume of chain punches I landed.

As far as limitations, two things; grappling, and footwork. Now there's a lot of footwork in WC/WT, but traditonally, it doesn't teach you to deal with a constantly probing opponent,..one who is "light on his feet, in a stance, circling, jabbing, moving in & out....at long range. So to deal with it, one needs to go "outside the box" for the 'range fighting'/distance adjustment...until he's at the best distance for WT techniques.
    In general, there are a lot of tools and principles that are easily adaptable to any combat situation if you're willing to do the work involved. Every time I fought, I made sure to have some type of WT clothing on my person....that way they always knew

As an aside, I see wing chun principles and even techniques used by non WC/WT guys all the time in MMA. For example Rickson. When he mounts an opponent.

Hey I responded to the sparring thread too if you're interested. I spoke on my sifu's behalf, not my own - I've fought full contact a couple times but under San Shou-type rules.

Originally posted by KenWingJitsu
    I won my first fight by decision I think based on the sheer voulume of chain punches I landed.
    LOL ......Winning by decision, now there's reality for you.

Matrix

Originally posted by Matrix
    LOL ......Winning by decision, now there's reality for you.

Matrix
    Yup, you guessed it folks......MMA tournies are no more real than WWF.

Rules=Not Real!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

I thought you were gonna "ignore" me 'matrix' lol!!!!!! I guess my allure is too strong after all. Here's a little reality for ya...Muay Thai, San Shou, boxing kickboxing, wrestling Judo, BJJ...winer can be decided by decisions. Red pill? Blue pill.
    LMAO!!

Fajing, how did you fare in San Shou? That was something I wanted to compete in also. Is your primary background wing chun?

AndyM & Matrix:
    No sh!t... As if we didn't know that. MMA fighters will be the first tell you that fighting in these competitions is "not real." However, I'd be willing to bet a good deal of money it's a lot more "real" than what you guys do in the safety of your school.

As I said, this post was directed to KWJ and anyone else who had competed in these events.

KWJ:
    Is your straight blast the more traditional method of "arms only" striking or do you rotate your shoulders and/or hips to develop more power for the finish?

Do you find that your WT complements or hinders your applications of inside techs from Muay Thai?
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 02-24-2003 at 06:03 PM.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    AndyM
    No sh!t... As if we didn't know that. MMA fighters will be the first tell you that fighting in these competitions is "not real." However, I'd be willing to bet a good deal of money it's a lot more "real" than what you guys do in the safety of your school.
    Knifefighter,

You don't know zip about me mate.

Never met an MMA fighter who had the most basic grasp of eloquence, let alone a grasp on reality.

Thanks for helping me make my 100th post.

( Marshmallows and number two toasting fork at the ready )
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then

Originally posted by AndyM
    You don't know zip about me mate.
    That's true, I dont' "mate". Based on your uninformed post, I can make a pretty good guess, though. I'd be willing to bet you've never fought in one of these events.

That's true, I dont' "mate". Based on your uninformed post, I can make a pretty good guess, though. I'd be willing to bet you've never fought in one of these events.
    What was "uninformed" about my post?

Based on what you've said so far, were I equally judgemental, I'd be willing to bet that you've never had to defend yourself or your loved ones in real life???

I posted simply because of the irony I detected in 'Matrix's' comment.

I don't play with MMA because they are just a game, as are all sports.

I only interjected a little humour into the thread. Sorry you seem to find that so objectionable.

J.R.R. Tolkien

KWJ:
    A couple more questions for you:

Since EP and KK were open-handed rules, did you have trouble adapting your WT techs to these events?

Do you do your Muay Thai and BJJ training at Emin's school or do you go to other gyms for these?

What's your percentage of finishing standing vs. finishing on the ground?

Based on what you've said so far, were I equally judgemental, I'd be willing to bet that you've never had to defend yourself or your loved ones in real life???
    OK, Mr. Expert at defending himself and his loved ones in "real life", suppose you tell me a bit about what your approach to these "real life" situations has been?

Fill me in... I'm paying attention.

As far as what was uninformed about your post, the fact that you said MMA was no more real than WWF.

OK, Mr. Expert at defending himself and his loved ones in "real life", suppose you tell me a bit about what your approach to these "real life" situations has been?

Fill me in... I'm paying attention.

Well surely that's a seperate issue entirely?
    You want a blow by blow account of every situation I have been in during my lifetime and how I acquitted myself?

I'm still here. I'm 36, not 16. What do you want to know?

As far as what was uninformed about your post, the fact that you said MMA was no more real than WWF.
    Well you're taking that out of context, and I meant no offence by it.
    MMA events are fought to rules, as are WWF events. A larger proportion of the audience know WWF is a show, but boxing, KickBoxing, Thai Boxing and MMA are all sports, because they are fought to rules.

Am I wrong?

Are there no rules?

J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm still here. I'm 36, not 16. What do you want to know?

Well you're taking that out of context, and I meant no offence by it.
    MMA events are fought to rules, as are WWF events. A larger proportion of the audience know WWF is a show, but boxing, KickBoxing, Thai Boxing and MMA are all sports, because they are fought to rules.

Am I wrong?

Are there no rules?
    WWF is fixed. The outcome is known before. It is entertainment drama, not competition. Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA, etc. are competetive events. There are rules, but each person is trying with 100% effort to put the other person out of commission and no one knows who will win.

Yes, there are rules, but that doesn't mean they are not broken. Yuki Nakai, a Japanese Pride fighter was blinded by an eye gouge, but still finished off his opponent. I've seen more than a few limbs snapped in MMA competitions.

The fact that you state you have been in a variety of "real situations" over your 36 years and are not in prison tells me you have probably followed a few rules of your own over the years in your encounters. Does that make them less real?

Knifefighter is correct.

MMA might not be as real as a prison riot or a mugging, but it is a real contest, albeit with rules and limits. WWF is a show, with the most dramatic moments often occurring when "rules" are broken by the "bad guys".

IMO a successful MMA fighter would be a much better ally than a guy who only trains at his kwoon and never spars or fights in competition because his combat techniques are "too deadly".

KWJ, have all your fights been by decision? Or have you had some KO/stoppage/submissions as well?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!