Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Chi only exists if you believe in it.

hmmm...

I'm gonna echo souljah a little,

I don't see why most of you see the concept of chi as being so mystical. To me, it's just energy, whether you call it life energy or life force or whatever.

We direct our energy all the time. When you think about lifting a coffee cup, for example, you potentiate the energy to do it before you actually act. You think "mmmm cofffeeee" and your brain goes:

locate cup
    reach out
    open hand
    touch cup
    close hand
    lift cup
    bend elbow
    drink
    needs sugar

Now, in the quantum amount of time between the thought and the action, the energy is poised to fire the muscles. it's potentiated. If you DONT pick up the cup, the energy moves on as planned to keep your heart beating or your fingers typing and you never missed a beat. But for an instant, just the thought of action prepared the energy required to complete the action.

Recent experiments with prosthetic devices have been working toward using thought to control external devices. you think about closing the prosthetic hand, and it closes. Specifically at this point, subjects have moved objects on a computer screen just by thinking about it. Granted, the energy in this case is generated externally, but it is called upon internally, by the subject's thought alone.

I know I may be oversimplifying, but why then, can't it be acceptable to you that with practice and concentration, amounts of human energy can be potentiated internally and directed consciously into a specific action? Even amounts beyond what we think we are usually capable of?

We have accepted that our bodies are actually capable of much beyond what the physics of our actual structure dictate we should be capable of. We're not supposed to be able to run a mile as fast as has been done by some athletes. Of course it's finite, we can't run that fast forever, but that said, why is it that you don't think our energy can be tapped beyond what we understand to be our normal limit and directed into an action or toward a target?
    Last edited by Ming Yue; 02-27-2003 at 08:08 AM.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Smile

you know, the more i learn about body mechanics and using muscles i didn't know i had, the more i get involved with rotation and adductions, the more i become aware of this 'something else'.

i think 'it' has something to do with chi, but thats the term we are given by these arts rather than any western recognized term... i think maybe in the west we'd previously referred to it as 'vitality' [in a historical sense] and that we'd thrown baby out with bathwater when we'd discredited the 'vitalism' movement [thanks, AMA!]. exploring the tenets of that movement gives a western base, imo. in other words, we defined it out of existence...can't test what isn't recognized.

i think also that our basic non-awareness of this 'energy' is due in part to our lack of connection to ourselves [obvious] as well as our typical bodily movements, given the nature of our common societies [uncomfy chairs, cement walks, eating while standing, the psychological popularity of having stress or depression [!], never bearing loads correctly [if any at all], the 'woe's me' fad /miserable childhood trend /'rugged individualist' myth etc.] which just take us further away from feeling it. thats not so obvious- it takes a lot of self-remembrance to change it.

it might seem like some of these are not related to body, but they are! its all reflected in how you carry yourself, day to day..

a lot of the work to finding a way to 'it' lies in uncovering obstacles and clearing the path, then its just a sort of 'aha!' nothing too mystical in that. the further stuff that we admire so greatly is just, in many ways, deeper explorations of the same principle in other areas [mind, etc.]

I should add that i'm speaking in relation to mostly internal qiqong, not the external variations, tho there can be a lot of common ground...
    Last edited by ZIM; 02-27-2003 at 08:26 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

How does psychosomatic illness fit into the notion of qi existing only for believers? If a healthy patient can raise his or her temperature to a fever, is that directing one's qi? Sound's like it is to me. Yogis and qigong masters are able to lower their body temperature and slow down their heart rate - more of the same stuff, sounds like. The way I see it, qi certainly exists in the form of vital energy. There's something that's different about living and dead tissue - may as well call it qi, right? We aren't - yet -able to measure it per se, and as long as we have charlatans like Rich Mooney overstating the case for what qi is and what it's capable of they are going to succeed in discrediting the notion and blurring the general scientific community's perception of it.

Let's try another definition. Instead of vital energy, qi is what permits someone is able to effect their body with their mind in a fashion other than simple motor function. Or maybe that's i. I don't pretend to really understand all these chinese terms.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Smile

CSN- sorry, Rich Mooney? Cashed in on the cult, did he? Really, not familiar. Maybe thats good.

Agreed re: trying another defintion- what my point is, is that we'd thrown it out before getting it down to science, is all... i think we were, historically now, begininng to get a clue.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Run a search for him on google - and make sure your stomach is empty.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

it usually is to the believer
    Once again, in that case we are not talking about truth, but perception.

Just because chi/qi is outside or beyond the boundaries of the western science 'BOX' doesnt mean its not possible.
    I never said it wasn't possible. I said its existence can't be confirmed.

I don't see why most of you see the concept of chi as being so mystical. To me, it's just energy, whether you call it life energy or life force or whatever.
    When I am addressing the nature of Chi, I'm addressing chi by its "mystical" definition.

How does psychosomatic illness fit into the notion of qi existing only for believers? If a healthy patient can raise his or her temperature to a fever, is that directing one's qi?
    I disagree with this. You don't need to be a Qigong master to **** around with your body temp. I've been doing it since high school to fake sick and get a day off. It's the same as moving your arm to steer your car or moving your legs to walk. It's about body control and firing neurons to get your body to do certain things. If you want to define chi/qi as a non-metaphysical energy that allows your body to perform (in other words, Joules, calories, or whatever), that's fine and logical as you're just giving another name to a physiological process.

---

If chi is a term used to describe an unknown force that allows us to do certain things, that works. We are just giving a label to an observable phenomenon. However, when one starts saying that chi is this spritual energy that can be harnessed to do these things, that crosses the lines.

I mean, look at humankind's experience with the unknown in the past. Anytime they see something that they can't explain, they would blame "the gods" or some other "spiritual" being or force. That's how they used to explain lightning in Mesopotamia. When lightning struck it meant the gods were ****ed and you had to go to your local ziggurat and make a sacrifice. What a waste of time that was as lightning is the result of an atmostpheric condition (it's been years since meteorology so I can't remember the whole process). Want more proof it's not spirits? Well, nobody on this planet has been to a ziggurat for thousands of years and we haven't seen more lightning than usual.

You'll see this in pretty much all areas of spiritualism/mysticism in all parts of the world. To call chi this powerful spiritual force without truly understanding it's nature is just a self-delusion and while you're at it you might as well practice forms on a ziggurat.

My conclusion and point is that nobody who defines chi as a metaphysical element truly understands chi. It's simply another theosophy.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

Oh, one of *those* guys...
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yep, but that's ok.

However, when one starts saying that chi is this spritual energy that can be harnessed to do these things, that crosses the lines.
    two points:
    1] depends on what qi you're talking about. within chinese thought, there are divisions in some lines which divvy body qi, spiritual qi, etc. spiritual has a different function, at least initially. it can also be viewed as 'i'm doing this first, the rest will follow.' I don't completely agree with that path, but who am i to argue?

2] 'to do these things'- when you say this, i'm imagining you're talking in reference to MAs- in which case I to-diddly-do agree.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

yeah, all I was really saying is that you can never really know...therefore it's not knowledge, it's just a belief, which merely an egocentric perception.

Though I had a similar debate with a friend of mine and we came to the conclusion you can never really "know" anything.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

Originally posted by StarBoy
    [...]we came to the conclusion you can never really "know" anything.
    What makes you so sure?

12. Post

While this shot may keep this thread alive,I have come to the conclusion that threads/subjects like these tend to run out of hard science with fair amount of succes which results in lectures or documents on subjective philosophy.
    A bit like arguing about religion.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

the 'hard scientific evidence' is not there because there is a lack of interest in researching into it.....IMO.
    It will remain a belief based dicussion until someone can prove or disprove it.....and, SO FAR noone has done either.
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

14. Post

the 'hard scientific evidence' is not there because there is a lack of interest in researching into it.....IMO.""
    No wonder.

"It will remain a belief based dicussion until someone can prove or disprove it.....and, SO FAR noone has done either."
    It will remain such.
    This has been covered to a great degree imo.Makes me feel this is not high on the priorities of a serious person,but we will know who is to make that serious research for backing this up,that is the men having died at least many centuries ago.May they rest in peace.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

since my body mechanics are out on strike i think i'll start a chi ball fight. --------> did that one hit you Oso ?