Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how does one reach a state of hypertrophy?

how does one reach a state of hypertrophy?

just curious:

i've been doing a lot of reading and web searching about hypertrophy (state of accelerated muscle growth).
    do any of you know some methods of working the body into a state of hypertrophy?

on that note, can hypertrophy damage the body?
    how much time should be allowed, based on body composition and metabolism, for recovery before your next workout?

lift heavy objects… eat a lot… lift more heavy objects… eat more…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

thanks man that was Deep...

:: pauses for a moment of contemplation::

seriously though, i was fishing (haha... trolling? not me) for more specific details.
    i've read that cumulative bodily exhaustion is crucial, focusing on only NEAR exhaustion in each individual heavy set (as opposed to doing a single workout to failure)

Hypertrophy - I thought (not based on anything I read), that hypertrophy meant bigger. Is this term being used today in fitness terminology to mean the *rate* at which muscles get larger as well?

i've read that cumulative bodily exhaustion is crucial, focusing on only NEAR exhaustion in each individual heavy set (as opposed to doing a single workout to failure)
    u answered your own question right there… my understanding… hypertrophy = muscle growth… lifting heavy weights + eating well = muscle growth…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

its is the opposite of atrophy, which is a rapid deterioration of muscle tissue (basically) caused by various factors

but i'm not expert, just asking u guys for some additional info

I hope I am not accused of being to simplistic, but lifting heavy (8-12 reps) and eating good protien with rest and time should cause your muscles to grow larger.

Now within this suggestion there are all sorts of fancy methods. But if you concentrate on excersices that use the most muscles, such as bench press, sqats, rows, etc, you will build more muscle faster.

Besides, forget size. Go for strong, flexible healthy muscles. It is really simpler than most make it out to be. It is a lot like investing in finances. Time and balance are your best friends. Then as far as kung fu or MA's you need to learn how to make those muscles work as a unit, producing whole body strength and not relying on brute force.

Hypertrophy - 'A nontumorous enlargement of an organ or a tissue as a result of an increase in the size rather than the number of constituent cells: muscle hypertrophy."

This is from Dictionary.com. Now I know that atrophy and hypertrophy, refer to shrinking and enlargement. I have never equated the terms with the RATE at which the change in size occurs. The reason I am being assonine about this is because I want to know what you are really asking. You want your muscles just bigger, or you need them to increase in size more than the normal time required that resistance training and nutritional factors allow?

hang in there , i'll try to fish up some links that i was looking at last night that will help explain what i'm getting at. check later today, right now i'm going out to eat somethin'

I thought hypertrophy was a disease .. ?
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

it happens when trophies eat too much sugar, i have a soccer trophy that i had to put on ridilin because of hypertrophy

troll or not, that was a dang good answer from morbie.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by CD Lee
    I hope I am not accused of being to simplistic, but lifting heavy (8-12 reps) and eating good protien with rest and time should cause your muscles to grow larger.

Now within this suggestion there are all sorts of fancy methods. But if you concentrate on excersices that use the most muscles, such as bench press, sqats, rows, etc, you will build more muscle faster.

Besides, forget size. Go for strong, flexible healthy muscles. It is really simpler than most make it out to be. It is a lot like investing in finances. Time and balance are your best friends. Then as far as kung fu or MA's you need to learn how to make those muscles work as a unit, producing whole body strength and not relying on brute force.
    Nothing wrong with size. you can have big muscles and still be fast and lfexible, as long as you are not freakishly huge.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yeah, morbie's been kinda witty here lately.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Seven said

Nothing wrong with size. you can have big muscles and still be fast and lfexible, as long
    as you are not freakishly huge.
    I completely agree. A lot of people go to extreemes to try to get 'huger' than their natural metabolism and genetic musculature allow in a short period of time. I say just work out with sounds principles, technique and nutrition, and give it time. That may be geared towards size, but is hard to change the natural rate of speed at which our bodies attain some lofty size we have selected.