Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how does one reach a state of hypertrophy?

This post has been removed because the people that are responding to it are not reading it thoroughly anyway.
    Last edited by BrentCarey; 03-05-2003 at 03:24 PM.

ummmm... oh yeah dont forget to rest
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Well, this isn't completely true. More accurately, to increase mass requires a caloric surplus, and to decrease mass requires a caloric deficit. It is entirely possible to convert fat mass to muscle mass. This is also not entirely accurate. Actually what happens is that one's body uses stored body fat to supply energy to the body to free up nutritional resources to build muscle.
    You were going pretty good up until this point. I agree that it is possible, but it is also possible according to the laws of physics that if you walk in wall enough time, you will eventually pass right through it. Possible: yes? Likely: no. Adding a healthy dose of pharmeceuticals will make it a lot more likely though.

A person with optimized muscle mass does not have optimal strength-to-weight ratio, nor optimal endurance.
    I think you meant to say that a "body builder" does not have an optimal strength:weight ratio. This is all a product of his training. One does not need to look far to see heavy people lifting heavy weights. Endurance is a bit of a misnomer too. It is quite possible to concurrently and optimally gain size, strength, speed, and endurance. I'm speaking endurance as in musclar endurance and not cardio-vascular endurance. As you well know, cardio will generally sabotage most mass gain goals.

good points, ford. a good example of lack of fitness while still being strong or having good endurance:

i worked for 3½ years at a lumber yard as a late teen. i was playing tennis 10-20 hours per week and working out on the side. i could outrun and probably outbench anyone at the yard.

didn't mean squat, though. most of the guys smoked, all drank more than they needed to and only one of them was actually skinny -- most were at least 20 pounds overweight. but after going on a delivery with one of the drivers and trying to carry sheets of particle board up the stairs, i realized i wasn't **** compared to these guys. while i would struggle to get the sheet overhead and my forearms would be killing me halfway to the drop spot, the other guys would just be cruising along like it was nothing. so much for me being a tough guy.

now i probably couldn't bench more than 220 because i don't lift, but i can lift whatever weight i'm capable of lifting pretty much all day long.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

This post has been removed because the people that are responding to it are not reading it thoroughly anyway.
    Last edited by BrentCarey; 03-05-2003 at 03:25 PM.

I found the quickest way to increase "dumb" mass is

6 reps at the lower extremes of repetition
    6 reps at the higher extremes of repetition
    and 7 reps through the entire repetition.

Of course this makes you look bulky, but the same guy working hard on increasing muscle fibre and maximum strength is going to kick your ass in the same amount of time assuming all things squal

No, I meant to say what I said. It is not possible. OK, it is possible in the "anything is possible" sense, but it is not bloody likely. It is possible to concurrently increase size, strength, speed, and endurance, but not optimally. If this was indeed possible, it should then be a relatively simple matter to create the ultimate universal athlete.
    Again this is an assessment of somebody using the outdated Western-periodzation model. Generally this states, you must break up hypertrophy, speed, and strength into cycles because you can't optimally do it all at the same time.

Nothing could be further from the truth though. Thanks to our Soviet counterparts and the men here that have translated their work, we now know that it is quite possible to train multiple factors such as speed, strength, mass, and endurance all at the same time. This is called a Conjugated Periodization approach. Online info on such an approach can be found at:

http://www.testosterone.net/html/133per.html

Please excuse the machismo in the article as it was trying to explain a highly scientific training approach to the average body builder. More info on Westside Barbell, who has extensively used this appraoch to eclipse power lifting records can be found at:

http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/

In their articles and q&a section.

As I said in a previous post, "Super Training" by Mel Siff breaks down conjugated periodization quite well. It is technical reading though and aimed people familiar with scientific terms associated with fitness training.

Last edited by BrentCarey; 03-05-2003 at 03:25 PM.
    --------------------------------------------
    My posting policy: I have been around and paid my dues. I do not post anything which I am not reasonably certain is true. I use my real name and location, and lay it on the line for all to see. Take my advice or don't take my advice. Learn from my post or don't learn from my post. It matters not to me, but it is there free for anyone that wants it. Just don't ask me to qualify every statement I make, because I will not respond. This is a fruitless exercise.

Originally posted by BrentCarey
    Muscular hypertrophy is accomplished in two ways. One way is to grow additional muscle fibers, the other is to volumize (enlarge)existing muscle fibers.
    Currently there is no concrete evidence in existence to support the fact that you can grow additional muscle fibres. This is the hyperplasia theory (sp?) and it is just that, a theory. So to date, it is accepted that you are genetically stuck with a set amount of type I, IIa, and IIb fibre types. All you can do is cause them to grow or not. Hence the definition of the word hypertrophy itself, which has nothing to do with increasing the number of muscle fibre types whatsoever.

Brent,

Sorry. I didn't think you were trying to state an obvious fact that even a chimp knows. Obviously to become elite in any endeavor what-so-ever, you must train specifically for that endeavor. Talk about symantics.

EP,

Don't forget an increase in muscle sarcoplasm as well.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    EP,

Don't forget an increase in muscle sarcoplasm as well.
    I'm unsure what sarcoplasm has to do with muscle hyperplasia Ford?

Remember, hyperplasia deals strictly with the number of muscle fibres, not their size.