Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Average fight

Your Average fight

I hear comments alot about how an average street fight goes. however it is becoming more apparent to me that there is no 'average street fight'.
    On most of these forums for example you often get the ground fight vs striker fight argument, most fights go to the ground/don't go to the ground. I for one haven't seen many fights go to the ground, except where I work as a security guard but that is usually because they are pretty drunk and have a tendancy to fall down anyway.
    However I don't doubt that many fights go to the ground. however, thinking about it, stories from freinds, fights witnessed, etc.. what about those, over the table fights, or the down the stairs fights? Or how about those, sitting in the car while my opponent is outside the car fights.

To be honest, I cant say with certainty that most fights go up or down or "behave" in any certain way! What do you guys and gals think?

What do you guys and gals think?
    You don't plan to wreck your car everytime you go out, but you still wear your seatbelt.

Be prepared for the ground!

Before this even gets started as a ground vs striking thread **** you ST!!! I want to say I am not condoning or putting forth that one way of fighting is better then any other. All I am saying is that there is a lot of argument about what the average fight is and I dont think there is an average fight.

There is only one thing that seems to remain constant in every fight I have ever seen or heard about. They all seem to last about ten/fifteen seconds. After that, others arrive and pull the two off of each other. So, most people I know fight with the intention of inflicting as much damage as possible before they are pulled away.

I've never known of anybody who got into a fight in an isolated area where this wouldn't happen. Might be different if that were the case.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

thats a good point too, what do you do? Do you go for the maximum amountof pain before the fight is broke up, OR do you try to hold the guy off until someone comes to break it up?

What is the point of fighting if you are not going to inflict as much pain as you can

Seriously though, I think it depends on if you are the aggressor or the defender. I guess legal questions also come into play here.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

well before we get too deep into that discussion I would like to discuss a little if people think there exist your 'average' fight....

Short answer - no. There are typical elements to a fight.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

like?

Short fight, maximum damage with minimal risk? One Answer for you, ELBOWS, preferably with your body weight behind them. If you train to use those, 99% of doctors agree that their patients did not enjoy being close to the well trained close quarters fighter.
    -Golden Arms-

Smile A pointed question

isn't the whole point of doing a martial art is to go beyond the 'average fight'?

i mean, on average, i get my butt handed to me...no matter where it goes...

but really... if you like to fight on the ground, what, you just take it there! striking? well, golly Beav! same thing.

thats just controlling the fight... in *think* thats why i'm studying kung fu to begin with!

anybody think i'm making any sense here?? hunh?? can i get a witness!! /rant
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

There are no typical fights, but there are typical pre-fight scenarios.

Like posturing, calling names, poking your opponent, etc.

Most fights like eulerfan mentioned are short-lived and often very brutal.
    Witty signature under construction.

Originally posted by red5angel
    like?
    The typical elements of a fight will depend on the situation. A bar/school/street fight will be different to a mugging/ambush.

However there are typical stages that a confrontation is going to go through like posturing, contact etc. No two fights are going to be the same, so how can you classify a fight as typical?

I've never been to the ground either but i have only been in like 3 fights so far............
    Stay out of trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

I don't think anyone could strictly define all the elements of a typical fight, but fights can be broadly catagorized with some success.

Someone here posted an article some time back. It had to do with the "monkey dance" vs. the "preditor/prey" scenarios.

The vast majority of fights I've witnessed or been party to have been of the monkey dance variety. That is, lots of posturing, name calling, and arm waving, followed by shoving, and ultimately the haymaker exchange. While entertaining, these fights tend to be broken up either immediately or right after a clear winner has been established. I can't imagine more than a fraction of a percentage turn deadly.

Preditor/prey scenarios are the potentially lethal, "never saw him coming" events that should be the focus of every "self defense" class (in regards to situational awareness, avoidance, escape). These very often involve a weapon or multiple combatants.