Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Diving for the Glock...

OT - Diving for the Glock...

Hey I am about to pick up a handgun but I have varying opinions on which ones to get. Any of you peeps been shopping recently or have experience in this area? I am stuck between the Browning semi's and the Glocks. I like the ergonomic look to the Browning grips (not to mention their aesthetic appeal) but Glock has alot of safety/trigger features that sound handy. Anyone got any info, personal handgun opinons/preferences?
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

I would reccomend Glock over Browning anyday, whether it's for range shooting or CC(concealed carry). I think the Glock is superior. A suggestion for CC though, if you get a Glock I wouldn't go for a full size, awkward to have to hide for so long.

I have a Smith & Wesson model 410 .40 cal. I love it. Smith's guns tend to be a little thin so they carry very nicely.

My wife carrys a Colt .380. I like that gun a lot as well.

I'm not a big fan of Glock.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Glock.

Light, smooth, nice fit to the hand, enjoyable to fire. Relatively idiot-proof ("relatively" since it's still a gun). Maybe I'm partial to it because as a female I prefer a weapon that feels lighter. And goes with my outfit.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

the glok.
    perfect for holding up a 7-11 ... or um, yeah the firing range

I didn't find the Glock too safe… if u can call a gun that… alltho I didn't play with it too much… plus i find them a lil too 'all over the place'...but I would have to go with a Sig… not a lot of recoil… but loud… S&W is a good choice… but I wouldn't go with the Sigma tho… Beretta's will go off if the wind blows the wrong way... the second shot... the first one feels like u squeezin a full tomato can... S&W or Sig... my top 2...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I'd go with the glock over the browning. If I was buying a gun, I'd go with the beretta 9000s type f. It's pretty small and good for cc.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

If not for cc, go with a colt 1911 .45.

In my opinion, this is the best semi-auto for the price.

If cc, I would personally go with a walther ppk for a semi-auto, or a short-barrelled smith and wesson .357 for a revolver.

Depending on your level of commitment, you way want to consider a revolver anyway. It will require less maintenance than a semi-auto and will generally be safer and more reliable imho.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Thanks, thats some good feedback. Thanks, SaMantis, for the info. My GF wants to come shooting so that may help her in finding a style she likes also (She is very wardrobe conscious as well ).

- William G. McAdoo

If we're talking favorites, I go with the Makarov. Smallish size to carry, 9x18 round good enough if you have to stop someone without having to put a saucer sized hole in them. The gun itself costs about $250 for a top of the line specimen. Clips can be had for $6.00. Can be completely field stripped and reassembled in less than 40 seconds, not requiring any tools to do so. Can be completely disassembled and reassembled in 10 minutes with one tool. Official sidearm of the Russian army. Not to mention, when you buy one, the addiction gets you and you have to have more! It has an eight round clip. A double and single action trigger pull and,,,, wait, I'll stop boring you now.

TKD

IME… Glocks don’t group well… actually most small cc's don’t group well… besides the point… fullsize glocks don’t group well… and like I said Bereatta second pull is tooooo lite… unless u know how to tweak them… anybody play with Beretta Cougar yet???
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

If going concealed carry look at the Kimber line. Great line of weapons. Full size you can't beat the Colt 1911/1991. Springfield also makes a good gun. This model has been copied by virtually every maufacturer out there in some form and for a good reason. For stopping power go with the .45 it can't be beat but if control is an issue something with a little less recoil, look at the 9mm or .380. Personally have a full sized Colt and concealed carry Springfield both are great guns.

I first used a glock on an Army firing range ... one of our CWO's owned a full-size model. In comparison to the 1911 Colt .45 models we were qualifying with, the glock was a joy to fire.

My shot grouping was ****ty in any case but I just had more fun with the Glock.

Anyone still own/carry pocket guns? I remember as a kid a married couple who were friends of my parents had matching Remingtons, "His & Hers" models. "Hers" was a chrome/silver .22 semiautomatic, "His" was chrome w/pearl handles & slightly larger caliber.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I first used a glock on an Army firing range ... one of our CWO's owned a full-size model. In comparison to the 1911 Colt .45 models we were qualifying with, the glock was a joy to fire.
    I've got to say I'm amazed by this. For its size, the 1911 is really easy to fire. Granted, a 9mm has next to no recoil by comparison, but you get what you pay for. The trade-off of stopping power just doesn't seem worth it to me.

After one day of shooting a 1911, I found I grew quite accustomed to the recoil. It's quite smooth compared to other high caliber semi-autos I've fired.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

On a recent trip to Palestine, Texas I believe I saw some pocket guns in a sporting goods store. My GF is intimidated by the larger guns... maybe those would work? Thing is... i dont want her to shoot herself while rummaging for her lipstick or something. I am just a little worried about the reliablity of such small guns.
    Last edited by Losttrak; 02-25-2003 at 02:09 PM.

- William G. McAdoo