Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OT - Diving for the Glock...

True Losttrak,

And whether people want to accept it or not, in the era of the gun, weapons such as swords become historical relics.

Arguably, they were responsible for the ending of the relevance of the samurai in Japan.

People who don't understand firearms typically demonize them as inherently evil and as taking the skill out of martial arts. Anyone who really pursues firearms skills as a martial art or for sporting purposes or whatever, quickly realizes there is a great deal of subtlety and nuance to learning to use them well.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Originally posted by joedoe
    The USA is a different case to Australia because of the existing number of guns in the USA. I would probably want one over there too
    Exactly. I personally wish that we didn't have the gun problem that we do. And that is hard to say considering where I live.

For those that think this talk is frightening, you should see the folks that don't know squat about firearms and carry them regularly.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

It is absolutely terrifying to me (as someone that grew up in the UK and now lives in Australia) that you all talk so casually about all the guns you own and the joy you get from them. So blase.

Terrifying.
    Well, it's no surprise, especially if you grew up in the UK. This doesn't really exist in your culture. However, in the US, firearms are a pretty common occurance. Don't be so ethnocentric and the idea of firearms won't be so terrifying.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

Fred- Thanks for the review. The safety system for the XD you talk about I believe is called by Springfield the "USA" (Ultra Safety Assurance) system.

Sounds complicated but interesting. I have to get my hands on a XD to see for myself.

Rad- Thats a lot of rounds!

Serpent- Talk about a way to ruin a good post. To bad we can't all be as pure as you. On a side note I would not want to live in your neck of the woods either. Let's leave it at that.
    Regards

I just made my first handgun purchase yesterday....

(I've fired many, but this is the first one I've actually bought for myself.)

I got a S&W 586 .357 magnum with a 6 inch barrel.

I've wanted a .357 smith for a while, so I am oh so happy.

Just thought I'd share.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

My experience with the majority of gun owners/collectors is that they are very normal, stable people who act responsibly when carrying and storing weapons. In fact, I've found that the quality of their character can often be measured against how well/poorly they maintain and store their guns.

As an aside -- part of my family lives in and around Kennesaw, GA. What's unique about Kennesaw is that all male residents over age 21 are required to own at least one gun! In the 1990s Kennesaw had the lowest rate of violent crime in the U.S. Go figure.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

In the 1990s Kennesaw had the lowest rate of violent crime in the U.S. Go figure.
    That's not surprising at all.

The state of Vermont has the most lax policy on guns of any state in the U.S. Any adult in Vermont, whether a resident or not, is allowed to carry a concealed weapon without any special permit. As a state, Vermont has one of the lowest rates of violent crime of any in the nation.

To anyone who feels the need to use this statement as a launchpad for a debate on gun control law> I'm not trying to spark such a debate, as I realize there are many other factors at work here, such as average annual income and population density. I'm simply pointing out that permissive firearms laws in and of themselves do not equate to higher rates of violent crime.

Ahhhh, the oh so beautiful state of Vermont. That is one thing I like about living here. Absolutely, one of the easiest states to own a gun in. If it wasn't for the Federal law about being at least 18 to own a gun you could buy them here at the age of 16.

Losttrak, I do highly reccomend buying a Makarov, one of the most reliable auto pistols in the world, no joke. 50 years in use by the Soviet army, that truly will tell you if a gun works or not. Also, jams are practically nonexistant. To be fare though, hollow point ammo will jam in some of the Makarovs unless you polish the feed ramp, some are pretty crudely polished.

TKD

For all your Makarov questions-there is a lot of info here on the Markarov check out this link.

http://makarov.com/index.html

For some reason they remind me of a James Bond villians gun.
    Regards

Let me add that I've heard almost nothing but RAVE REVIEWS of the non-polymer CZ pistols. It would be my OTHER handgun to lust after, were it not for the XDs.

...I'm also intending (someday) to own a Remington 870 Marine Magnum.
    Keep it simple, stupid.