Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT - Diving for the Glock...

Any well maintained weapon should be reliable and if it isn't get rid of it and get one that is. Jams and misfires are an accident waiting to happen.
    Last edited by pvwingchun; 02-26-2003 at 12:49 PM.

I've been hearing LOTS of good things about Springfield's XD series. It's polymer...like the Glocks, but with a body design similar to (I think) the Sig's. Meaning it's eliminated the "weird angle" of the Glock grip that makes it counter-intuitive for some people to aim.

It's got a grip safety, a trigger safety and another internal safety (I think a firing pin safety?) that makes it one of the safer guns you could carry.

It's previous incarnation had it carried as the firearm of choice in Croatia...with years of dependable service records.

Plus, it's cost new is $389 to $480 bucks, making it at least a few hundred bucks cheaper than the typical Glock. If you can find it HS2000 is the name used before Springfield bought it, and that'll knock another $100 bucks off.

I've been considering buying one...which is why I've got this much info on it right now.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Personally, I like the colt officer's model. I shooter groups with it than I do with my Beretta.

I did put a larger beavertail and a memory groove grip safety on it, but it shot extremely well prior to those mods, which were more for carry issues than anything else.
    Fighting is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

A year from now, no one will remember who used what style, or what technique, only who prevailed.

Even a well maintained weapon can misfire. My point was that revolvers have superior reliablility. It is a widely acknowledged statement. You get a malfunction in a semi-auto and it could be one of a many number of things. Such as the mag, ejector, spring, extractor, the ammo, or any other part. With a revolver if it does not discharge on the first pull it is likely to go bang the next time.

Rad,

Isn't the Springfield XD series made in 9mm Luger only?
    Regards

nah I know they make the XD in 9mm and .40

Thanks,

I take it as with Springfield they come with the Novak Low Mount rear sight. Sounds like a nice weapon.

I believe their is a XD Challenge course for shooters.
    Regards

actually I'm going shooting today in just a little bit, I'm going to try out the XD if I get the chance.

If you get a chance to use one it would be interesting to hear your experiance.

Cheers,
    Regards

My point was that a well maintained weapon with good and proper ammo won't misfire. Those problems are generally due to lack of maintenance and examination, but then if you don't want to spend the time maintaining and examining a weapon of that sort then don't own one and get a revolver, but even a poorly maintained revolver will have those problems. There are simply less things to go wrong with a revolver. I have put thousands upon thousands of rounds through 4 semi autos and never had a misfire or a jam.
    Last edited by pvwingchun; 02-26-2003 at 01:30 PM.

I am not putting down revolvers I even own a few, all I am saying is that proper maintence and care can eliminate most of the problems you mentioned. But when they get dirty they can be just as tempermental.

I hope you didn't buy anything yet, but I strongly advise against a Glock. They are generally considered to be uncomfortable and not that great overall compared to its competitors. Depending on what you want to spend there are a lot of better options. And don't think about asthetics, not for a piece you plan to use, instead of collect.

These are all 9mm. You're GF should be able to handle them, or at least get used to it pretty quick.

1) Sig-Sauer P228: Kinda pricey, but pretty much the best you'll find.

2) Ruger P-series: More reasonably priced and good quality.

3) H&K USP: Also pricey, but extremely good quality

4) CZ-75 (or TZ-75): I haven't shot one yet, but my friend uses one and loves it. Really accurate, moderately priced and good quality.

These are all good firearms, and much better than the Glock.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

I gottcha, keeping a gun well maintained and clean should be common sense, all I am saying is that things fail at the worst possible moment, I am not beating up on semi-auto's, just stating certain aspects of a revolver which I tend to favor, though I to own a semi-auto.

To repeat one of my points is that if you do have a misfire, you can reflexively correct it with a better chance of success than a pistol, by reflexively I mean just pull the trigger, something a person does anyway with a firearm under stress, since there are less lengthy re-function maneuvers and working parts you will have a better chance to getting off that next shot, I just find them more versatile.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Regards

I've shot glocks and like them just fine.

they are very reliable and simple. It's a low profile gun which makes it easy to sight in on, unlike guns like the HK which are higher profile. HKs have a safety that needs to be swept, just one more thing that can go wrong.

If Glocks suck then why do all the magazines use the glock as the standard for all other combat shooters to live up to?

One tends to see a lot of law enforcement carry the glock as their first duty weapon of choice

www.glock.com
    Regards

To repeat one of my points is that if you do have a misfire, you can reflexively correct it with a better chance of success than a pistol, by reflexively I mean just pull the trigger, something a person does anyway with a firearm under stress, since there are less lengthy re-function maneuvers and working parts you will have a better chance to getting off that next shot,
    Agree