Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Robin,

still not knocking weightlifting but I gotta say, IMO, that if you had trained the horse stance to get it lower you could have gotten to the same point quicker.

Are you training duration of the horse stance? If so, for how long and how often a week. just curious.

congratulations, indeed, on the improvements.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso,

I train stances, martial arts, 3 day/week. I do weight lifting the other three days.

I used to train stances and martial arts 6 days/week for 8 1/2 years, but I haven't had the improvements that I've had since I started weight training 7 months ago.

My personal body just didn't respond to bodyweight training that well. Yours probably will.

I will begin training my horsestance for duration beginning in June. I'm finishing up a single leg squat phase I'm focusing on. Once I have my handle on that, I'm going to train duration 3 days/week as a stance, and 3 days per week in weight lifting--holding my last squat for a time.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Robin,

thanks for the response. like I said just curious. Why do you think your body won't respond to bodyweight training? Not enough overall weight, maybe?

you could always have someone on your back
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I have no idea why my body didn't respond to bodyweight exercises. It might be because I didn't have enough flexibility at the time to progress. With a weight, it's easier to allow gravity to help force the issue.

I also happen to greatly enjoy weight training.

Say, if I had someone on my back, wouldn't that be weightlifting?

not really, because it's still body weight -- just someone else's body
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Say, if I had someone on my back, wouldn't that be weightlifting?
    yes, that's why I put the cheesy grin

cool, again, just curious not arguing.

now, must go torture the white sashes with lots of stance training

Originally posted by Robinf
    I think is a lot to do with the results you've been getting.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I think is a lot to do with the results you've been getting.
    yea, do what works for you...and most especially don't listen to me

Originally posted by Samurai Jack
    Actually, it's called a leg press. Sorry to nit pick. Also it's much easier than a squat since it takes out the weakest muscles in the back/arms, but on the other hand you can work your legs alot harder. I'm leg pressing around 1200 pounds currently, and while my legs are very strong and quite well developed, I am not a freak either (not yet anyway ).
    Ah, the leg press. yeah that's way easier. I can get over 1000 also. Dunno what I can squat anymore. I was getting 405 in high school. I work with 315 now, as my legs are already big and strong enough for my needs.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

The leg press is NOT the same as the inverted squat.

With the leg press, the weight moves up an incline.

With the inverted squat, the weight moves STRAIGHT up.
    Here is a picture of an inverted squat machine:
    http://www.osseo.k12.mn.us/sec/pcsh/...vertsquat.html

It requires more force to move the same wieght straight up than it does to move it up an incline.

just clearing that up

Actually, that's a leg press. The incline machine is called a hip sled as Robin pointed out.

Cheerio
    Bodhi Richards

I've been doing a lot of lifting. my workout consists mostly of power cleans, jerk press, and squat. Also some incline bench press. I've been lifting like this for a couple months now. I do about 4 sets of each at roughly 6 reps. 2 or 3 times a week usually, depending on how sore i am. Maybe its not the best workout but i'm having fun with it.

I've gained about 15 pounds in the past couple months and i'm pretty satisfied with my program. (i'm about 172 lbs now ) Been drinking like almost a gallon o' milk a day - lots o' eggs and chicken too.

havent been posting here, but every once in a while i wonder whats been goin on with u all. did anything memorable happen in the forum (besides a whole bunch of threads on Iraq ) ?

my turn :)

guess it's my turn to jump on this thread.

i've been taking my lifting much more seriously the last month and i've had some pretty freakin good gains if i say so myself.

started benching 155, today i put up 3 sets of 5 at 200. (doh have to lower the weight)
    started squatting at 180, today i put up 5 sets of 5 at 225.
    military press went from 75 to 115.
    lat pull downs went from 110 to 140.

went from weighing 155 lbs to 170 lbs (as of last weekend).

my routine is pretty simple:

day 1:
    squats
    bench

day 2:
    lat pull down
    military press
    seated row

day 3 (sometimes 4 depending on how tired i am) is my day(s) off

i do 5 sets of 5 reps with a 3-5 minute break in between, each day of lifting i up the weight 5 lbs. if i cant do all 5 sets i lower the weight 5-10 lbs and start over after taking an extra day or two off.

as to diets/supplements all i did was drink an extra 1/2 - 2/3 of a gallon of milk a day (mm mm!) while trying to eat more generally. I also tried out ergopharms 1-AD (1-testosterone) for the month. my balls didnt start to feel funny so that was nice i'm taking this month off the 1-AD, i'm interested to see how my gains go without it, to see how much of a difference it made.

i'll try and upload some pictures of my current self (dont have a digital camera), so i can compare in a month
    Travis

structure in motion

inic,

I think many of us use a combination of weights and body weight. I know I do personally. I'm up to six pullups for three sets, full-range of motion dips for three sets of four, hanging leg raises and twists, and one legged squats. I do this as a set--pullups then dips then leg raises/twists then one legged squats, for three sets.

I then break down my body into different muscles/groups and hit the weights. My body simply responds faster to weights.

My shoulders are actually starting to show. I'll take another photo next week and post a before and progression shot side-by-side.

Originally posted by inic
    just curious why everyone is just doing weights.... I mean dont any of you run? or do pullups? or kicks or something..... Like i tell everyone "weights does not = in shape"

it depends what you mean by "in shape." if you mean strong, then thats what weights give you. i've been lifting weights for the express purpose of gaining strength as well as gaining some mass. lifting (and eating a lot) is the ideal way to achieve this goal. i'm sorry but i dont think anything will get you as strong or help you gain weight as much as weight lifting.

lat pull downs are the same motion as wide grip pullups - and i would do them if i had enough strength to do 5 sets of 5. i used to do close grip pullups with weight, but i swapped them out for seated row because that works my back better.

if by "in shape" you mean low body fat, well i can already easily see my 6 pack so im not worried that. even after the last month of lifting and gaining 15 lbs, i havent lost any definition (which surprised me - i thought it might take a small hiatus).

the reason i dont run is that between kung fu and lifting my body doesnt really have any energy for more exercise i get more than enough kicks and punches in my schedule from practicing kung fu at home and going to class.
    Travis

structure in motion