Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trolls Beware

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM
    I'm as happy as the next man to see the back of Lotus and Ego. In fact if you check the records I was one of the voices clamoring for their removal. However to say that they "owned" the forum is a little rich. Should the mods have come down on them a bit faster? Yes. But there was plenty of good conversation too.

And there was also a few more minor (and less irritating trolls) who would go on and on about how this or that CMA suxxored compared to holy-BJJ because they didn't REPRESENT in the UFC.
    I hear you and you're like a lone voice in the wilderness - you put up a good fight unlike most members who have become so used to being abused by the 2 trolls that they'd come to accept it as normal. Each of the 2 trolls even had the blessing of some mods at one stage.

They did own the forum - when almost evey major discussion becomes a troll post and I don't know how, one of them either ego or lotus was banned and the other let the banned troll back into the forum basically undoing what the mods were trying to do...

Then the mods did nothing about it for months. I've never come across this level of trolling on any other forum before. If this is not ownership by the trolls then I don't know what is. Basically those two were some serious piece of work when they got together when there is method behind madness it gets crazy.

Some ppl who used to post here but don't anymore was because of them.

this law was passed to protect highschool students from harrassment by their
    classmates after school. trolls aren't a problem unless you let them become so.
    the case that I remember the class mates were teasing/harassing the girl via chatrooms and e-mail from guest logins. they also planned when and how they were going to beat her up, everyday. The female victim loved the internet
    but the e-mail and im messages were the real problem, because she couldn't use her computer without 100 nasty messages popping up. personally if people were causing me that much grief online, I'd send them a nasty virus and call it even.

Quote Originally Posted by greensage22
    this law was passed to protect highschool students from harrassment by their
    classmates after school. trolls aren't a problem unless you let them become so.
    the case that I remember the class mates were teasing/harassing the girl via chatrooms and e-mail from guest logins. they also planned when and how they were going to beat her up, everyday. The female victim loved the internet
    but the e-mail and im messages were the real problem, because she couldn't use her computer without 100 nasty messages popping up. personally if people were causing me that much grief online, I'd send them a nasty virus and call it even.
    You probably don't need special laws to proscicute someone who is planning and attack and then following up with an attack. That is different from trolling.

Where do you draw the line between zero tolereance on trolling to a little trolling?Some times its hard to detect good trolls at work - not until they have hooked most of the members into their game. It was how this forum was like.

trolls shmolls, it's a dumb law.
    If you have the internet, participate in irc chat, etc whatever, and on top of it all are thin skinned and unable to suck it up or realize it is empty words on a page in an anonymous format, then you are definitively, an idiot.

Mind you, word on the street is that there are a frigging bazillion idiots out there.

nanny state crap once again brought upon us all by a very few, bunch of weiners.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    trolls shmolls, it's a dumb law.
    If you have the internet, participate in irc chat, etc whatever, and on top of it all are thin skinned and unable to suck it up or realize it is empty words on a page in an anonymous format, then you are definitively, an idiot.

Mind you, word on the street is that there are a frigging bazillion idiots out there.

nanny state crap once again brought upon us all by a very few, bunch of weiners.
    But most ppl just can't help it when someone mouths off. It's too hard to just walk away knowing it is a trap. That's how most ppl are like - ppl want to prove a point and that's what trolls exploit. It's human nature you just can't win.

When a Troll enters the ring for real

MMA Fighter Josh Neer Films Himself Fighting Heckler, Posts Video Online
    BY CHRIS YUSCAVAGE
    1 DAY AGO

Josh Neer has been involved in his fair share of fights over the years. Since 2003, he's taken part in more than 50 sanctioned MMA bouts as part of UFC, Bellator, and Shark Fights. But on Monday, he got into what will probably end up being his most memorable fight when he beat up a guy who has been heckling him online for the last month.

According to Neer, Patrick Martin has been hitting him up on Facebook since January talking all kinds of trash. But on Saturday, he took things to another level when he challenged Neer to a fight. Neer finally decided that he had had enough and accepted the guy's challenge. He told Martin to come to his gym on Monday and proceeded to film himself beating Martin up.

"Basically, the guy's a ******* and been talking **** about MMA fighters for a month," Neer told Bloody Elbow. "On and on, I usually ignore him but this Saturday he wrote me on Facebook…He had written 10 messages to me talking **** which I ignored, but this time I said if you really want to fight come to the gym Monday at 5:30. I don't know what his problem is but he's a big guy, like 6-6 and 270 pounds and just acts like a bully. That's what he seems like to me, just a bully. He showed up at 6:10, 40 mins into practice. And then I asked him if he wanted to fight Rakim or me and Rakim is bigger than me so of course he chose me."

You can watch the ensuing fight in the clip above. Neer caught some flack for posting the video online after the fight ended. But as he explained on Facebook last night, he felt like he was the victim in the situation and wanted to teach Martin a lesson:

For what it's worth, Martin also took to Facebook late yesterday to address the fight and to say that he actually wants to knuckle up with Neer again:

Stacey Miller @StaceyLynn125
    Follow
    Re: Josh Neer... I think the guy he "beat up" is fine. Everyone calm down.
    7:30 PM - 23 Feb 2015
    But we have to ask: Why? Talking smack to a guy who has made a living off his ability to fight seems like a dumb idea to us.

Send all complaints, compliments, and tips to sportstips@complex.com.
    This troll is stupid as dirt, but he has balls.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This troll is stupid as dirt, but he has balls.
    LOL, that troll is committed to the trolling! Committed!!!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    LOL, that troll is committed to the trolling! Committed!!!!
    Holy thread necromancy, batman!

What Gene can do with long dead things is astonishing!

It's all about the search function...

...and my OCD about keeping things less cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    What Gene can do with long dead things is astonishing!
    Hey man, I publish a print magazine about traditional martial arts. I gotz mad necromantic skillz.

Honestly, why bother labeling something as 'new' when you can just tack it on to something older and sound more venerated?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Could someone possibly link me to the image that we used to post for Ralek?

I think it's funny that the entire first page of Google for "troll" is all about Trolls of the Ralek kind
    I joined the forums back in the 90's. Haven't posted in ages but my login still works amazingly. How many people remember the 1st troll of signifigance Taekwondoman? After him the big one was rolls then ralek after the aforementioned was banned. After that I moved overseas and started training in martial arts seriously. I remember a few people were accused of having socks and being a legitimate poster by day and a troll by night sort of if you know what I mean.

ttt 4 2017

I'm tempted to overlay this map with a map of our subscribers, our distribution and MartialArtsMart.com sales. But still, I never put that much work into trolls. I just ban them.

Here’s Where the Most Active Internet Trolls in the U.S. Live
    Here’s where the most trolls live, and when they’re most active.
    BY ALISON WILKINSON SEPTEMBER 7, 2017

If you’ve ever read, well, anything on the internet, you’ve seen them. Those nasty comments aimed at getting a rise out of people or just generally creating chaos.

Thanks to a partnership between Wired and Disqus, an online commenting platform, we now know where the trolls live. And when they are most active.

The two analyzed 92 million comments over a 16-month period, written by about 2 million authors on more than 7,000 forums using the Disqus software. (That means bigshots like Facebook and Twitter, which don’t use Disqus, were omitted.)

Using an API, Disqus was able to detect and rate a “toxic” comment—defined as “a rude, disrespectful, or unreasonable comment that is likely to make you leave a discussion.” Feeding the comments into the API gave a score from 0 to 1. Anything above 0.9 was considered toxic. A sample toxic comment that rated above a 0.9: “You are a disgusting, subhuman, painfully stupid waste of cells. You are a racist pig, a slime ball.” Whereas a nontoxic comment included: “Grilled cheese ideas are limitless.”

Using the API yielded some interesting results. The South is disproportionately hostile, with Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina all hovering at over nine percent of all comments being toxic. Nevada (10.1 percent) and Iowa (10.3 percent) also have a high proportion of toxic comments. The “winner” though in the troll wars goes to Vermont. The proportion of toxic comments is higher there than in any other state at 12.2 percent. Neighboring New Hampshire, on the other hand, had the lowest at 4.7.

Broken down a bit further, the absolute most toxic city in the country is Park Forest, Illinois, where 34 percent of comments are hostile. However, 99 percent of those came from just two authors! The least toxic city was Sharpsburg, Georgia, with just 0.8 percent of comments being hostile. At the 2010 census, the population of Sharpsburg was 341—meaning, “It’s just a small town, and the smaller the group, the more influence a few bad apples (or bright pennies) will have.”

Unsurprisingly perhaps, the most toxic time of day for trollish comments is 3 am. During this time, 11 percent of all comments are mean. For more civil discourse, log in after 8 am.

While knowing a bit more about the trolls is interesting, the real question is what to do about them. The Wired poll shows that a full 25 percent of people made at least one toxic comment during the 16-month period. This seeming growth of the troll population is in line with a recent report by the Pew Research Center and Elon University’s Imagining the Internet Center. In the report, researchers surveyed more than 1,500 technologists and scholars about the state and future of public discourse. 81 percent said that they expected the tone of online discourse to stay the same or get worse in the next decade.

Some organizations—like news outlets—have responded by shutting down online comments altogether, reverting back to the days of physical letters to the editor. “We’re out to raise the quality of discussion about the people, places and things covered on our website,” said Kevin Moran, executive editor of New England Newspapers Inc., which has not allowed online comments since September 2016. “And while we like to blaze trails around here lately, we’re following a growing list of news sites to drop online commenting over concerns about tone, incivility and abuse.”

For online publications that choose not to forego commenting altogether, the solution is trickier. One approach might be to allow users to register under a pseudonym, which would protect free speech while still allowing consequences for abusive behavior over time. Chatbots, filters and other similar tools could also potentially help stop the spread of trolls.

The truth is, though, even with technological advances, trolls are here to say. Cofounder of Disqus Daniel Ha said the problem with trolls is not a technological one but a human one. “It’s never really going to go away.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2019!

Troll Who Said 99% Of Men Could Beat Female MMA Fighters Gets His Ass Kicked
    October 23, 2019

An online troll who said that he could take on pretty much every female MMA fighter has been made to look like a fool.

Kristopher Zylinski decided that he was going to be an ******* by posting a controversial Facebook status hoping to draw attention to himself like every troll does.

For some reason he claimed that not even a woman trained in martial arts would be able to beat him in a fight and naturally he received quite the push back

Posting on Facebook, Zylinski wrote:

99 per cent of women are too weak and lack the reflexes to do enough damage to stop 99 per cent of men.

Even if they knew Brazilian jiu-jitsu they just don’t have the size or strength to use the holds.

It’s dangerous to teach any woman to try and strike or fight a man.

I’m not hitting a woman with a closed fist unless she is attacking me.

If you want to set up an MMA fight between me and a girl with signed contracts, sure, I’m down. I want money when I win though and you must apologise.
    The good people at the MMA Facebook page McDojoLife were more than happy to find Zylinski an opponent, writing:

We are willing to pay out $1,000 to any pro female 160-pound fighter willing to come and spar with this man. We will also provide plane ticket and hotel.
    Plenty of offers came in and soon a fight was set up with Tara LaRosa, an mma fighter and grappler.

Predictably Zylinski got his ass handed to him being no match for LaRosa.

If you enjoy watching an internet troll getting exactly what he deserves, you can watch it here:

https://youtu.be/lOtEzwWX9yg
    Not that great of an ass handing, but I was amused by the concept.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips