Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trolls Beware

Thumbs up

Cool;

Thanx!

And of course, the mods will detect the smoke or flames and close the BS or no end trolling.
    what forum are you on?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Then again, some people just love to troll!
    It is interesting to see how people respond, do they keep their cool or do they explode or do they go to the wonderful world of Obfuscation!

A good troll can be a way to blow off some steam sometimes. I think the trick is just to make sure you aren't always trolling. Legitimate posts are a bit more important.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Either question may apply, even if you post on a topic that has some relevence to the purpose of the given site that it is being posted on. This is a Kungfu site, most posts should deal with that topic, it's not like kung fu is a small topic.
    Eh. I used to talk kung fu, but I found it a generally useless topic. Too often, the same topics come up over and over, and the level of discussion rarely goes beyond historical or general.
    None of that is to say that the posters are useless or un-talented. Quite the contrary, it simply occured to me that you can't really discuss deeper aspects of kung fu through the written word at all. You can, of course, discuss ephemeral things: Ranking, basic characteristics of a style, culture, etc. I read some of them but don't bother to respond.
    And then you have the phenomenon wherein person from a forum let discussions bleed over into real life. I've seen, even within my relatively short time in kung fu, student-teacher relationships go sour, students leave or get discouraged, persons who've never met that become sworn enemies, etc.
    All on this very forum.

So, no, I don't get involved.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

zim, go contribute to my tightening up thread, that's all about kungfu in the here and now.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    zim, go contribute to my tightening up thread, that's all about kungfu in the here and now.
    Actually, that's exactly one of the arguments I've seen cause such strife.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Just realized that was a little vague.

I realise that the topic is important- tightening up technique to make them more applicable to modern day situations, etc. is crucial in many ways.
    The problem seems to be that when an instructor or fellow student reads the comments of one of his/her students here, sometimes that is taken out of context.

In one situation I'm aware of, the instructor got p1ssed because the comments were taken as saying "what you teach is garbage" and that "tradition is bad" and that the student intended to change what he was being taught.
    I don't know how it worked out, if at all. It ended badly, though.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    If I say that boxer does not know how to kick and if you practice boxing and feel offend by my statement then you may be over react. You don't own your style and I don't own mine. The strong point of your style could be the weak point of my style and vise verse.
    All good and true. If you said my footwork was slow or whatever in comparison to others, I'd prob'ly agree.
    The problems start with the fact that this is a public forum with a lot of strong egos. You say to the boxer "you can't kick". He says "yep, I should add that in".
    His instructor recieves an email form some other busybody instructor: "Hah! Lookit that! I knew you sucked azz!"
    That busybody begins posting that same crap all over the rest of the net.
    On it goes.
    -Thos. Zinn

-McGuffey's Reader

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

The problem is when these news group started they had small select groups that were for the most part, cool to eacher.

Then most were invaded by school kids or people who only knew martial arts from the books that they bought at the local book store!

In the end these public news groups became worthless........But that was years ago......you people just now fcaught on to this?

Besides ...if all of you are such dedicated martial artist, why are you posting junk instead of training?

All the serious people that i know wouldn't post on hack job sites like these anyway!

Yes. It is a choice of an oligation or free will.

I posted in Bullshido, cyberkwoon, martial arts planet and other forums a bit. Maybe once in a 6- 8 months. When I have REALLY Nothing else to do.

I was told that I am doing too many posts in KFO.

I looked around the net. I need to reach an audience that is interested in KF in general.

I was told to support this forum.

How much and how frequent are up to me.

There is no way I may beat the diligence of KL and BL in posting.

Nowhere close to the number of posting by the king and queen.

Peace.

I actually gave a half piece of dog excrement and came back and visited this crummy site! Once a year is usually enough for me. I must be really bored!!

SPJ that’s sad! You’re into KF and can't "shoot the scat" with someone on a news group like this that is dedicated to actual KF! I believe you. I’ve counted only five threads related to KF on this main page…what a joke… that’s why I don’t come here.
    You need to go somewhere else dude! The Internet is pretty F-vast! This news groups needs to go private and cut the dog scat out or get F-stringent on what can be F-talked about. There are plenty of good KF sites that don’t have the Speedo loving “I want to bone joust with the ice-man” types! Like I implied, anyone who posts on public news groups like these are crap-nuggets of disinformation. Or they are computer typing flagellating egomaniacs with little or no discipline to achieve in a martial endeavor.

If someone is posting here often, that someone is a pretender... Do you think anyone who is anyone reads his or her posts? The only thing worse than this site is Black Belt magazine and Bull****---toe. Now there’s martial sophistication. (Read the sarcasms please) The only people I see into that crap are pimply-faced “Napoleon Dynamite” type teenagers at the local Wall-Mart. Probably the same snicker-doodles posting that UFC butt jousting crap and watching Spike TV.

I’ll pop in and rag on some of them in another year or so

Note: to all the MMA loving Butt Pirates who are going to post a snap to my words ….go ahead…waste more of your time. I won’t waste my time reading those retorts. Well…maybe in a year so I’ll come buy and grin….maybe

To be in all fairness;

It is a message board. People may make contact and chat.

After a while, you prettey much know who is who.

Not that it is getting me anywhere but just chat along.

I did make some very important contacts with other fellow members. And most of them do not post a lot either.

I find a good general rule is don't say something over the Internet that you wouldn't say in person.

Also, I try to keep in mind that this is a martial arts board, and that we are martial artists -- there should be respect among all of us.

When I was a kid and going to tournaments, if I started talking to someone, from another school, we bowed to each other, we realised that the belts around our waist meant something, showed the dedication we've put in.

Behind the keyboard its easy to forget this.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 03-08-2005 at 07:09 AM.

Excellent point;

How to avoid a trolling BS war?

A. Do not respond to words of emotions. It will add more fuels to the flame.

B. As in a debate club, if the previous post has good points, then build on it and expand with more info. The previous poster feels positive and confirmed.

C. If there are some mis points, that you do not agree or are in dispute:

Do not counter argue words for words or segments by segments.

Do come up with an over all statement or pick just one weakest point and reply. In debate, there is no time to respond to all mis points. Only pick one is enough. You do not say that the poster is totally wrong. You provide more info why and how that one particular point is mis stated. One hole is enough to sink a boat.

You do not want to anger the poster. You simply focus on the point. No personal attack is needed.

D. We are posting to inform or exchange of thoughts and ideas. We are making friends. We are not here to pick on someone or pick a fight. If so; go to a ring and do your challenge match, there. So as to prove how tough and how right you are. And who cares about it? except your ego.

Last edited by SPJ; 03-08-2005 at 08:28 AM.