Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, a Buddha

Cool Yes, a Buddha

Fred Rogers, departed yesturday was a Buddha. He may not have been a Buddhist, but he taught us and our children loving kindness and compassion. Most TV show for children teach cognative development but Fred "Mr. Rogers" teaches acceptence, That we are all special and unique, but at the same time we are all the same. Mr. Rogers was not just like that on screen, All of us Pittsburghers have had experiances with his kindness and compassion.
    "helping children love and become lovable, and showing them by example can truely lead to world peace" Fred Rogers

Be my neighbor

Actually Fred Rogers was very spiritual and Christian. He spent every morning in quiet meditation, then swam for exercise. I wouldn't go so far as calling him a Buddha, but I might say he was very far on the path. Maybe a Boddhisattva

I caught this fantastic interview with him on PBS last night. I was blown away by his wisdom.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

As far as I can imagine,it would seem he could not have cared less if he was considered bright in Indian terms,so to speak but to actually do well is what can objectively be seen as worthy.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

So are we going to start using the term 'Buddha' as loosely as we use the term 'sifu' now?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Thumbs up

Take it easy.

We will not be pointing out tones or anything anyways.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Being nice and wise doesn't mean someone is a buddha, it takes more than that. You have to see and understand the true nature of your mind and the universe. You have to see and understand the oneness between everything and forget dualism and your "self", that is, your ego.

Altho enlightenment has 5 different levels, being merely kind and wise doesn't mean you're at any of them.
    No, it's not a typo, it's Jabb.

Thumbs up

Being in harmony with the universe is one of those things one cannot measure? A bit like being in between of yin/yang or about anything to that direction.
    Thus as they say,to reach for some rather poorly defined state of greatness is slightly obscure.
    Maybe someone can hand out a rank since it is also bizarre to pop out and talk about how enlightened one is (such questions make me curious)
    To forget about oneīs self could be done with a surgery though...
    I think Iīll quit for now lol.
    It is likely that Rogerīs work talks for itself,after all.

-FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by Former castleva
    Being in harmony with the universe is one of those things one cannot measure? A bit like being in between of yin/yang or about anything to that direction.
    Thus as they say,to reach for some rather poorly defined state of greatness is slightly obscure.
    Maybe someone can hand out a rank since it is also bizarre to pop out and talk about how enlightened one is (such questions make me curious)
    To forget about oneīs self could be done with a surgery though...
    I think Iīll quit for now lol.
    It is likely that Rogerīs work talks for itself,after all.
    Well, I didn't "Invent" what I said, I took the text, aswell as your "ranks", from different zen masters. It has been said: "theres 5 stages of enlightenment (and explenation about the different stages)" and "to understand ones true nature, is being a buddha"

So don't judge me before you judge the zen masters
    No, it's not a typo, it's Jabb.

Thumbs up

lol I am not judging you bud.My apologies if I did.
    Iīm just expressing my thoughts for some "in-depth" idea,out of curiosity (even though it is hard on the cat )

What strikes me nice though,is the idea about actually rather down to earth type of living,which may not always seem too visible while studying the anecdotes.
    Last edited by Former castleva; 03-03-2003 at 09:23 AM.

-FC, summer of 2006-

neighbors

You don't have to be Buddhist to see the wisdom and beauty of Fred Roger's life's work. He certainly seemed self actualized and his compassion was extraordinary. Any Buddhist would endorse his practice.

If anything, this thread might raise an interesting aspect of Buddhism and that is that it's not very good with kids. Buddhism began as a discipline for monks. Buddha ran out on his kid (but you can't call him a deadbeat dad since saving the world from all suffering was pretty good alimony .) As lay Buddhism has grown, Buddhism had had to accomodate famly practice. This is where family-based Christianity takes the lead. Mr. Rogers was a devout Christian. Ultimately Christianity and Buddhism seek goodness, and the goodness of Mr. Rogers transcends religious doctrine, as does any high level spirituality.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

11. Thumbs up

"and the goodness of Mr. Rogers transcends religious doctrine, as does any high level spirituality."

This is a nice point,one that should be brought up frequently.

-FC, summer of 2006-

The Ch'an perspective.

Mr.Rogers was.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Mr. Rogers extended the joy of living outwards into the world.

Being nice and wise doesn't mean squat unless you DO something with it - which is what Mr. Rogers did. His television show inspired people everywhere.

In his own way, a Buddha.

I'm a Buddha too then
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

In your own way, yes.

I'm being serious here.