Thread: What kind of exercise is hitting the heavy bag?

Hitting the heavy bag as exercise?

What does it do? Increase muscular Endurance? Promote the firing of Neurons? Produce hypertrophy? What does it do for your muscles? I know it helps you hit harder through specific-action training, but what kind of exercise is it?
    Last edited by fa_jing; 03-09-2003 at 09:16 PM.

Fun excercise that is all the answer I need
    -Golden Arms-

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Cardiovascular, aerobic, resistance, conditioning, high impact, endurance, focus, memory exercise...perhaps some might say.
    Last edited by No_Know; 02-28-2003 at 06:38 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

It can build some level of strength in the beginning and it also promotes increased bone density, I'd imagine. But, over time punching the bag becomes an endurance exercise, in the same manner that pushups and stance training do.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

any more thoughts? do you all agree with Sevenstar? why does it increase your punching power so much, if it is mostly endurance? just because it's a medium w/which to test your structure and form?

I agree with 7* mostly.

It does increase bone density and "fist strength". It certainly helps you to hit harder and it helps your form as you must have good alignment in the wrist, etc.

A good bag session is also great cardio vascular exercise, hence the endurance comments.

And on top of all that, no matter how much you practice punching and kicking, you can never be prepared for punching and kicking "something" (i.e. a person!) unless you have practiced on something solid and resistant. And the fact that it moves around and you have to control it means that you develop good reflexes and footwork if you use it properly.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I mean, I remember after going 6 rounds on the bag my arms would be torched. And my sifu had a huge chest, and didn't lift weights - he does 10 -round bag workouts to keep in shape. Sevenstar is a little buffer from the weights, but my sifu is strong, man.

Originally posted by fa_jing why does it increase your punching power so much,[/B]
    Because it is a power training exercise. Although it is related to strength, power is different and is trained differently.

Strength = force production.
    Work = force x distance
    Power = work/time