Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Internal training make u go crazy/sick?

Can Internal training make u go crazy/sick?

i've heard that internal training done incorrectly can cause internal injury as well as affecting the mental state of the practitioner. hallicunations, vomiting, nausea etc.

what are ppls' ideas on this and experience?

can different internal training methods from different systems which train your internal energy flow clash and also cause problems if u try to train both systems at the same time?

i think in cantonese phonetically it sounds somethnig like "jouw for yup more"

Any form of training if not done correctly will result in adverse side-effects.

Best do it under supervision of a good teacher.

Here is an example how Zhang Zhuang if done incorrectly can affect you.

If you try to force the breath into the Dan Tien you will create high blood pressure in the anal region which can result in piles or similar.

The things you described seem to come from inaccurate breathing during the exercises, but I am no expert on this topic.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 03-01-2003 at 06:13 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

I've heard that some methods of golden bell may have weir d temporary psychological effects. Changes in emotional state, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Hiperventilation

As with anything, if you do it wrong, there will be effects. Some bodies might be more forgiving than others. Need to know yourself.
    Sometimes all that is needed if there is an obvious mistake is to stand quietly and let things even out by themselves, and then to take rest of day off from this practice -- recommended by Yang Jwing Ming in one of his books. Came in handy for me one day. This kind of study shouldn't be forced or rushed. It's development, not a contest. I think that not being sure and forging ahead accounts for many mistakes. Or, the energy might just pick up and go on its own, all of a sudden, and then stop and your mind can't direct it because whole thing was unexpected. A blockage. This last point is what I referred to above.

As far as mental state goes, you're working with what you've got. You might have enhanced experiences, sensory and otherwise. It's a matter of maintaining perspective.
    Pre-existing mental conditions need to be taken into consideration. I don't think that internal training will make you crazy unless you are already, or unless drugs are involved. We all have weaknesses or imbalances of emotion; these could be temporarily magnified.
    A great deal of what goes into mental state in these situations, I think, has to do with expectations and imaginings, and influences of other people, especially authority figures.
    One might say that serious internal study amounts to the construction of an additional reality state, in terms of how one is able to operate in the world and relate to self and others.
    From observation, I have noticed that people with exceptional levels of internal training in their arts are more strongly themselves in Every aspect. impressive, and not necessarily what I had expected.

If something goes wrong, there's a reason for it which shouldn't be overlooked. Sometimes, a lot of things go right. Two sides to this coin.

I don't have experience to address one of your concerns; however, if you try to learn two things at the same time, at beginner or intermediate stages, and confuse the methods, then it is too soon for you to attempt this. The mind directs the energy. But, let's say the mind is thinking of two methods at the same time and thinks oh maybe I'll do this or maybe that and what comes out is a hybrid. This can happen when you're training in only one system (lol). Get my point?
    I don't know about clashing of methodology between systems. Better to ask experts in the disciplines involved.

Cody
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)

Thumbs up

Cody- that was a very good post.

From observation, I have noticed that people with exceptional levels of internal training in their arts are more strongly themselves in Every aspect. impressive, and not necessarily what I had expected.
    I have noticed that much internal work is involved in stripping away the 'masks' that we carry with us day to day, rather than building a new and inflated/'improved' one. One should just allow what is natural to become evident, then work with that.

For me, that is the key... and just my 2 cents.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

ZIM, thank you.
    You have appropriately emphasized that it is the natural self which is being trained To Be, by working with what becomes evident. fundamental. a source of grounding.
    Each aspect of natural self, some given shape by the training where there was no expression before, is developed. It's a time to look into the mirror, and to see inner reflections as well. Man, what a surprise that can be.

Cody

I was asking becos i only do some basic internal stuff in a style

and do some intermediate level qigong sets that are health orientated.

anyway i was told this story by some friends that this guy at another kwoon went nuts from doing internal stuff improperly or too quickly. anyway i'm not sure whether the guy had a problem initially and it could have been a whole lot of other things that may have sparked off the problem.

the potential for internal damage, mental problems etc are contained in legends and according to sifus nowadays. i'm just wondering how much of it is true how much is myth.

As far as mental problems, I have never seen any. But I personally know an instructor who made himself ill by severely overdoing hard chigong.

In our system we do a traditional Okinawan tension and breathing kata called Sanchin. It is good for your health to do it for a few minutes a few times a week. However he began practicing it for 1/2 hour or more a day every day. After awhile he began feeling ill, tired, etc., all the time. He went to an accupuncturist who after testing informed him that his yang was becoming too yin and yin was too yang and if he didn't stop this practice he would likely develop heart problems (his heart was allready beginning to beat faster than normal). He immediately stopped and is fine today. The point is FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, THEY ARE THERE FOR A VERY GOOD REASON!!!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Originally posted by friday
    the potential for internal damage, mental problems etc are contained in legends and according to sifus nowadays. i'm just wondering how much of it is true how much is myth.
    Cody already covered this pretty well, but I'll throw in my experience as well. In 25 years of training and teaching, I have never heard of anyone going "crazy" as such. However, it can severely mess with your state of mind. This generally manifests itself in the form of agitation, aggression, disorientation/confusion, fogginess/spaciness, lethargy, etc. This is typically short-lived - a few minutes to a few days. However, I can see how it could be perpetuated and evolve into a long-term disorder.

In any case, qigong is not particularly dangerous provided you pay attention to your physical and mental state, note everything even if it seems unrelated, and can consult with an expert freely. Most problems are very minor if nipped in the bud.

While it is important to consult regularly with an expert, it is not necessary to learn directly under the supervision of an expert. The real substance of qigong is very difficult to teach directly, and difficult to measure externally. Therefore, even the best instructor cannot really teach it. He/she can point in the right direction and help correct mistakes, but qigong very much requires a process of personal exploration. One ultimately has to teach oneself.

So, my comments are not intended to deter you from this process. Definitely explore all aspects of qigong. Just be very sensitive to what is going on in your body/mind, and consult an expert when you have even a small question.

I hope this helps.

-B
    --------------------------------------------
    My posting policy: I have been around and paid my dues. I do not post anything which I am not reasonably certain is true. I use my real name and location, and lay it on the line for all to see. Take my advice or don't take my advice. Learn from my post or don't learn from my post. It matters not to me, but it is there free for anyone that wants it. Just don't ask me to qualify every statement I make, because I will not respond. This is a fruitless exercise.

11. Thumbs up

"i've heard that internal training done incorrectly can cause internal injury as well as affecting the mental state of the practitioner. hallicunations, vomiting, nausea etc."

There are notes on how ppl with mental issues should practice with care,or avoid with but as to myths,it is very hard to approach objectively since by the time such exercises were developed there was no understanding of the concept of mental health itself (not to mention the complexity of brains=cns etc.)
    Even around western countries,it is not too many centuries ago that people would rather refer to such conditions as possessions by devils rather than neurochemistry,eh.
    I would not be going too deep into more "physical" issues which I consider understandable enough.
    However,as I´m not into qi,shen and holistic approach at all I take the "mind" issue as just plain earthly "disorientation" that various chemical changes cause,I would take medication and related things into account too.
    Related practices of meditation,somewhat similar in stature are associated and proven to cause evident changes in brain activity/function.
    In the end of the day,we will be stuck with more or less esoteric explanations until someone proves legitimate research to be necessary.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

friday

some methods of qigong - especially hard qigong can cause these things you mentioned. it creates a lot of "heat" in the body which rises up. So usually there is also some form of meditation or "shou gong" (ending exercise) to balance the physical aspect.

My sifu told me a story of someone who trained our method, and neglected to do meditation after training. Gradually he became very aggressive and irritable, which is the exact opposite of what training should develop. His mind was very busy and he was not centred, as well as suffering from some of the symptoms you mentioned above.

So basically, train qigong - its good! BUT make sure you get corrected regularly by your sifu and follow what he teaches.

just my experience,
    dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Qigong is a big topic

There are so many forms of Qigong. Within that realm, there are certianly many harmful practices, especially when you start getting into the martial "iron shirt" stuff. But there are also several milder practices, like say, eight sections brocade, that are strictly beneficial. Or maybe I should say that it's really hard to hurt yourself with these.

As for your mind, there are definately pitfalls in any practice of personal alchemy. It's rare for someone to go stark raving mad unless the practice is extreme or the person had some underliying predisposition. But there are mental pitfalls that are more subtle. In yoga, there is a lot of discussion of inproper sequencing leading to egomania. I find the same is very true in qigong. A lot of qigong people turn into egomaniacs. I've come to this conclusion after years of direct observation, and while it may seem controversial, think about it for a while. It provides a handy explanation of all that is wrong with qigong - the charlatans, the exorbitant prices, bad teachers, hokey esoterica, the new agey crap. It's all ego issues of the "master."

Qigong is power and power can corrupt the ego. It's challenging, but every practitioner must remain detached from this, or egomania will halt your progress.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up A related yoga article

Last edited by ZIM; 03-06-2003 at 10:46 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Friday:

Great power comes great responsibility. Sure chi kung training can make one go mad because the desire for power makes one go hungry - could send them on a murderous rampage. One can do things of superhuman origin.