Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu fight footage

Knifefighter and others who seem unable to believe anyone can actualy fight using TCMA.

The clip is *not* prearanged, it states clearly *during* the clip that BKF is playing around with the guy who won the comp that he was judging at.
    Obviously they are not trying to kill each other, neither do most of the guys i see performing Thai Boxing at demonstrations.

Your making comments which are intirely marked by the evidence at hand.
    Here is someone using traditional martial arts on a resisiting opponent in a non fixed mannor. Yet somehow this is still 'fixed' and 'unrealistic'.

Its obvious that this is for a demonstration, no one is wearing *any* protective equipment and the floor in unpadded. The reason for the run ups for the techniques is simply to make it look more spectuacular for the audience.
    Lets all get mad at the guys for not trying to off each other for our enjoyment.

Honestly this just pains me.

Im going to start paying out Thai boxers for that useless dance they like do before they fight.
    Or wrestlers for wearing LYCRA!!!
    Or maybe i should have a go at boxers who apperently cant fight without pillows on there hands.
    Or maybe the BJJ gaurd which just happens to 'look' about as martial as offering your opponent a flower.

I cant believe that people are still so darn detrimental, if you dont get something - YOU dont get it. Dont try to pretend that just becouse you dont understand the point of something that no one else will either.
    I personaly dont understand how atomic reactions happen but im not dumb enough to deny the existence of bombs.

Dont worry im sure your quite right, there is a whole multitude of misguided people out there - except those following your logic of course. Infact a whole country somehow managed to be able to create a non working fighting system and then ingrain it into there culture.

Please forgive my probarly overly negative reaction and terrible grammar and spelling but im getting mighty sick of people harping on things they have no idea about. I can compleatly understand why MMA get annoyed with traditionalists tell them there stuff is only for 'the ring', i just wish for the same respect to be shown back of occasion.
    Last edited by jon; 03-03-2003 at 10:22 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Re: Wow Oso

Originally posted by apeters28
    Oso,

that was a great reply, and a great post. I couldn't agree more, and you were able to say it without being mean or sounding bitter. I like when people on here post legitimate things but some people have way too much time on their handsand they use it to post thousands of things on here just ripping other people, which means they probably aren't really training all that much , especially not enough to tell me my style isn't effective or to pass judgement on anyone for that matter.

Just a thought...
    And then you've got insomniacs like me who train constantly and stay up all night ripping people apart to pass time
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Oso
    And,
    even though many of the threads here are thought provoking
    and it is certainly a great place to meet a lot of different ma folks
    you guys mean very little to my personal ma practice.

not even me?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Nick Monticello
    How's he going to do that? his foot was smashing his head almsot as fast as he landed. The only reason it was go'n THAT slow was because it was a demo. If it had been real, the guy would have been KO'd before he would have time to "Hook" as you say.
    1. the guy was haplessly charging - with spin kicks no less.
    2. look at the 3rd sequence and also at the last - BK had to catch up to the guy before he could attempt any type of stomp. The guy had no ground smarts, so he was just rolling on the ground instead of actually doing anything.
    3. in the second sequence, there's enough hesitation between the takedown and the stomp for the guy to either cover his head (which he should have been doing anyway) or to try and position himself to mount an attack.

Not to take anything away from BK - I hear he's excellent - but that guy did have time to do SOMETHING in most of those sequences.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SanShou Guru
    BreantCary
    I assume the only Clip you saw of Marvin was the 1997 PPV fight. Watch the rest of the clips then come back and talk about his speed and how easy it is to grab his leg and throw him. In his last fight he threw a round kick that broke his opponets arm so I would say he is not just a side kicker.
    That may very well be the case. I am not commenting about Perry in general. As stated, I am just commenting on the one short clip I saw. By all accounts, he is a competent competitor. This thread was started with the question, "What is your opinon of this fight?"

I don't believe any informed viewer can objectively look at that footage and observe a dangerous overusage of a mediocre side kick. No disrespect to Mr. Perry is intended. I was simply answering the initial question.

-B

Originally posted by Nick Monticello
    Those fights were crap. Out of thousands of Kung Fu fights, in and out of competiton, and thousands, if not 10's of thusands of Kung Fu practioners, you MMA guys manage to find the 3 that represent total CRAP for talent.

Pleeeeeeease, your making me laugh!

Isn't it odd that whenever a clip is posted of some CMA fight, be it sparring, mma, etc. The guy in the clip is always considered crap?

Please, find a good clip for us to enjoy. Surely you can find one.

Seriously though, max chen would be a good one to watch, but you're not gonna find any clips of him.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Knifefighter

You're not saying you can improve your 100 yard dash by running 5-10 miles a day are you? If you are, and are training your athletes based on principles like that, you are entirely off base.
    No, of course not. I am just using a loose. Running 5-10 miles a day will make one a stronger runner and be somewhat conducive to producing a competent sprinter.

The analogy actually holds fairly solid. If you want to make a good sprinter, you train for sprinting, but the sprinter will not necessarily be a good distance runner, hurdler, or pole vaulter. To be competent in all of these activities, one must train for all of them. Granted, one will not likely be the best at any given activity, but should be proficient in each of them.

If you want to be the best in the ring, you must train for the ring. If you want to be a strong, well-rounded martial artist, you must train for every environment you are concerned with. You are not likely to be the best in the ring if you do so, but you will have many skills that transcend the ring.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself. If I entered the ring with a very skilled competitor, I would have my work cut out for me. I have given very little thought, and less training toward competition. However, put me against three big semi-skilled/unskilled fighters with weapons, and my odds are pretty good. I know because I've been there.

This is not a boast. I know my limitations. I suspect I would be a mediocre competitor in the ring, I know my ground game is weak, and I could use more practicing using qin na against very strong attackers. I am strong in those things I've trained for: armed attackers, multiple attackers, etc.

Anyway, not to make this all about me, but that is what I meant with the analogy.

-B

Originally posted by SevenStar
    [...]all too often people say "grandmaster so and so from my lineage was undefeated and could shoot chi blasts" That's fine, but says nothing about you or your school, unless you are training directly under him.
    True words. Lineage is nearly meaningless. Competent fighters are not necessarily competent teachers. Even when one has found a good fighter and teacher all rolled together, that doesn't mean the student is committed and capable.

Thank you for pointing this out.

-B

Originally posted by SevenStar
    it's not style vs. style. I'm relating what you say to grappling because it's what I do.
    I understand. I reread the post with that in mind and understand now.

-B

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, seven. you found me out.

you know that shadow you think you see out of the corner of
    your eye every once in a while?

I watch your every move in an effort to be as tough a mofo as u.

I, too, want to stop TKD chicks in their tracks and deprive myself
    of sleep.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

but some people have way too much time on their handsand they use it to post thousands of things on here just ripping other people, which means they probably aren't really training all that much
    or some of us just spend time online when they should be studying or at work Also - my post count is carefully crafted over the last year, it takes "gong fu" to develop such a high level count

I watch your every move

Now THAT is scary

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

yes, TKD chicks LOVE tough mofos who don't need sleep.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Here's a still pick of a San Shou fight. Please note two things:

1. This is definately not kickboxing
    2. This is defiantely not pretty

The gentleman on the right is no other than Wai Lun Choi

http://www.liuhopafa.com/fight2.JPG
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

3. These guys couldn't break a wet paper bag if they combined stupid stance and desperate backfist.

Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Exclamation Attention

To everybody on KFO,

I edit digital video for a living. I will digitize anybody's clips
    FOR FREE. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Shadowboxer
    - The essence of Kungfu is to accept change...