Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu fight footage

Suntzu

I have been to Kuo Shou fights in Chicago, and I have seen alot of real talent. Guys that actually DO fight with the footwork, techniques and principals of thier arts. I just never thought to film it before. If I had, I'd get the footage digitised, and put that up.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I've been to Kuo Shu fights too… hopefully I'll be fighting in one this summer… it should be fun… I cant comment on the footwork thing… b'cuz really… to me… its not that big a deal how u move… I was just a lil heated by the MMA conspiracy theory… I know some bad azz TMA guys... he||... i converted one of them to the dark side and now he's a helified fighter...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    Bret = some of the most clueless "martial" people I've ever witnessed.
    Assuming you were talking about me, and considering the source, I wear the title proudly.

Do your homework before spouting off.

It's fairly well known on this forum that my school has fielded players in the public MMA arena for years. To my knowledge, Northern Lights Tai Chi is the only school which has that distinction. Isn't it funny how everyone around here selectively forgets that fact though?
    Tai Chi is

Thumbs up

its all Tai Chi

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

To my knowledge, Northern Lights Tai Chi is the only school which has that distinction
    that's because you guys are totally sweet.

get it right - its NINJAS that are totally sweet and flip out kill people if youre newer to the boards u may not get the reference)

dawood

Besides, RD, you, and most everyone else here wouldn't have a clue how the principles apply in that format. You wouldn't know what you're looking at because you've never trained the principles the way we do. Not a slam on you...that's just the way it is.

hey, dez...
    Tai Chi is

Hey shooter - if you are online long i may see ya in a bit
    stay cool

dawood

Hey Shooter, you wouldn't have any footage of you guys already digitized, would you?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    San Shou + BJJ = Next Generation of MMA fighters. It's only a matter of time.
    I'd love to see Mr. Perry train some form of grappling art for a while and do a few fights in Pride or the UFC. It doesn't seem like he's interested, though, from what I've read. SSG would obviously know his thoughts better than I, though; has Perry ever considered fighting NHB? If he came in and defeated a few well-known guys, it would bring San Shou some well-deserved recognition.

Originally posted by BrentCarey
    That is a pretty common reasoning error made by people with limited experience. (Not saying you necessarily lack experience, just that it is a common mistake.) When you first learn a technique, do you practice it full-speed from the beginning? No, you practice it slowly at first so you can see what is supposed to be happening.

I don't think anything was said about speed; what was being referred to was the "bigness and boldness" of the movements.

When I first learn a technique, I do it slowly, yes, but I do it exactly the way I am going to try to apply it. My practice jab looks a lot slower than the one pro-boxers use, but it's still obviously a jab.

To use an analogy, it is somewhat like running 5-10 miles a day to improve your 100-yard dash.

...except that, as any conditioning coach will tell you, this doesn't work. Training for distance does not make you a better sprinter, and vice versa.

Originally posted by Shooter
    It's fairly well known on this forum that my school has fielded players in the public MMA arena for years. To my knowledge, Northern Lights Tai Chi is the only school which has that distinction. Isn't it funny how everyone around here selectively forgets that fact though?

I remember, but it doesn't come up much, since I try to stay out of "what's really effective?" threads Do you have any sort of web presence? I'd be interested in knowing what events you folks are competing in, and attending any that are near enough; I always find it interesting to see new and different things being done in the ring.

...of course, since it's all Tai Chi, I guess it's not really new, is it?
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

What's funny to me is how people like St00 are mixing San Shou and san da into the MMA fray.

San shou and San da ARE the venues CMA people train toward. They were CREATED by CMA practitioners as a venue for themselves. Why even have a chinese name if its not so? For ST to belitte kung fu in one breath and claim to be CMA in another and then back is dizzying. Lets see one of YOUR matches, Not just Cung le.
    BTW, St, to start attacking someone personally as a responce to a discussion shows your defeat mentally. . Brent didn't attack you first. Personal attacks in responce to personal attacks are different.

Shooter,

Not to agure with you, but DIGITIZE them and lets see what you got. How does it help anything to talk but not show. If you got it, show it. I know its expensive to digitize video. But if you got it on digital it should be easier.

I get what Rd is saying. Alot of the clips from san shou show two guys standing completely erect with thier feet side by side like they're waiting for a bus, its not even a good boxing stance. On the other hand, I think what he wants is somewhere out there. The kung fu in a fast moving fight is too subtle to see blatently. Some large obvious moves might show up, but to see the priciples you need to slow down the film.

I haven't seen any MMA in a steetfight clips. So someone please post it. I'd to know who has a scribe following them around with a digital video camera.

RD, no.

FatherDog, nothing new under the sun...
    Tai Chi is

why its good to save credible info..

From a lkfmdc post monthsd ago:

Cung Le's student James Franshier fights in King of the Cage, last two times he won (don't know how many total fights he has had) without even having to go to the ground.

Houston's Mike Altman has fought MMA and is undefeated in that format

Current national amateur champion Adam Resnick is 3-0 (2 KO) in shoot fights

3 members of Brazil's national san shou team fought three BJJ guys in 98 or 99 and all won with KO's

The Russian guy who beat Cung in the worlds in 1999 is so far undefeated in MMA in Japan...

San shou is already making its way into MMA.

Would LennoX Lewis suddenly change sports to wrestling, just because he's a good athlete? Marvin is making a career with kickboxing and will be wise to continue on that path. He has a future in K-1 and k-1 S-cup, muay thai fights, possible pro sanda matches.

Why start on the bottom of another totem pole when you're already doing great on your own?

BreantCary

I assume the only Clip you saw of Marvin was the 1997 PPV fight. Watch the rest of the clips then come back and talk about his speed and how easy it is to grab his leg and throw him. In his last fight he threw a round kick that broke his opponets arm so I would say he is not just a side kicker.

Marvin currently has no plans to fight MMA style fights and we do not train any ground fighting. If he decided to do MMA I would send hin to a good MMA school I know in eastern Mass to learn the game.
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com