Thread: The difference between fut gar and hung gar?

The difference between fut gar and hung gar?

Can anyone enlightten me on the difference between fut gar and hung gar?

There is a scholl near me which has its roots in both and I am curious on how they formed something called hungkuen

this is their url: www.goldenlion.com.au
    earth & metal

the gwoon you are asking about if it has a combination of fut gar and hung kuen will be hung fut. the simplest way to show the variation is tiger - hung, crane - fut. if you understand this then you will immediatly see the balance yet differance.

they are the extremes of yum/yeung ( yin/yang) in their ideas, however you must also understand that yum/yeung are not stagnent but alive, so look at what i have written with this understanding.

as individual pai, they have complexity that is mixed in ways you have to feel to understand. hung fut is a great skill against kickers which is interesting since fut gar is a kick based skill also. not like northern kicks yet more than some pai of the south.

to give you something to understand in a basic way, fut gar is jeurn/guerk = palm kicking, hung is sau/ma = hand stance
    Last edited by bean curd; 03-02-2003 at 10:02 PM.

Hi,

Just some basic info,

Hung Gar and Hung Kuen are the same. One means Hung Family, and the other Hung Fist. Just a different way to say the same thing. Kind of like Car and Automobile. Bean Curd mentioned Hung Fut as being the blend of the two styles. I would think that is what you meant, unless someone else tried to blend these styles. There is a lot of info on Hung Fut on the net if I remember correctly, and they seem to be in magizines a lot.

Hung Fut's ancessors were familiar with both Hung Gar and Fut Gar and mixed them together. I beleive they put the hands of Hung Gar with the feet of Fut gar, but I can not remember. Of course if this is true, it is probably just a over simplification and I think you will see some Fut Gar hands. LOL.

I couldn't tell you much about the history or applications of Fut Gar except that it probably comes from shaolin as every other art claims. LOL.

Tom
    ________
    Vicodin rehab dicussion
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.

hung does not mean tiger...nor does fut mean crane...although i dont know the origin of fut, hung was the name of of the first ming emperor jyu hung mo..as the story goes..jyu hei guen..being a supporter of the overthrown ming regime changed his surname in honor of the emperor to hung..giving him the name all hung men know today..hung hei guen..now as far as the system..in hei guens time it would have been known as siulam(orshaolin)..which at the time was as many know not to liked by the government of china...so in order to hide the origin of his art he called it by a family name...hung ga..or hung family art..after his death his students carried on this tradition and to this day still call there art hung ga..or hung gar

Fut Gar Kuen means buddhist family boxing. Over the years across China this name has been interchangeable with Nan Sil Lum (Southern Shaolin) and Hung Gar. However, in modern terminology Hung Gar tends to refer to the system from Hung Hei Gung through Wong Fei Hung. Southern Shaolin tends to refer to more obscure "village" systems, some of which are derived from very old styles of Hung Gar, some from others. Fut Gar tends to refer to a similar group of arts that are a fusion of Nan Sil Lum and northern influences. Some schools do place an emphasis on palm techniques, but most look similar to Hop Gar or CLF.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Not all Hung tastes the same

Hung Gar = Hung Family or House of Hung

Hung Kuen = Hung fist or Hung Fist method

Hung Mun (or Men) = Hung Gate or Hung society

Hung Mei = Face of Hung or Hung eyebrow.

In the north, the related style is Hong Jia

Hung can mean "red" or it can be a "surname".

Fut=Buddha, this is also spelled Fat or Fhat or Fhut sometimes depending on the speller.

The Lam Sai Wing version of Hung Gar style is by fa one of the most wisespread and popular styles of Chinese martial arts.

In the Hung styles, you find a lot that maps over to the more generically termed "southern shaolin" or Nan Siu Lam (sometimes called nam sil lum)

The template of much of the southern styles is the Five animals of Shaolin. Many styles are derived from these main styles of Shaolin temple (Dragon,tiger,crane,leopard and snake).

Many styles of Asian Martial arts use the Tiger as a template, even when they are not from Shaolin. The same can be said of any of these animals (except for dragon which is not an animal in reality and so each dragon style possesses it's own unique flavour)

There are several, if not many "village" styles that use Hung Fist as the grounding and have metamorphised over time into the individual yet similar styl;es that they are today.

The Ha Say Fu, or "four lower tigers" style is mainly propogated in North America by Wing Lam kwoon. It is said that this style is an older version of Hung Gar.

For Fut Gar information, perhaps Arthur Lee would be a good source or his son Harlan. Arthur Lee made Fut Gar a very popular style in North America and it is his note of fame for doing so.

Anyway, it's all a rich tapestry. Keep practicing, if it tastes good, well, Enjoy!

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ironbridge#9 - before you try to correct or make opinion, it would be good to read the words in front of you.

where did i say hung means tiger and fut mean crane ??? what i said was "TO SHOW THE VARIATION!!!", in other words to understand the ging and faht ging of the respective pai, and who these are blended within one form yet a combination of both.

if you understand hung fut pai, then you would CLEARLY see that my referance is stated towards the individuality of hung gar and fut gar.

hung - tiger - yeung, fut - crane - yum.

if you have any idea of the basics of fu hok cern ying kuen and understand the reality of yum yeung within the form, then it is easy to understand my statement on how too explain hung fut pai to someone who may not know what it is.
    if you understand fut gar and hung kuen, within their own pai you will also see it.

this is why i brought the meaning to fut gar through the words - fut- jeurng/geurk, and with hung - sau ma.

since the history for the pai was not asked for, i see no need to bring it in, all that was asked is to know who they could blend.

if one doesn't know fu hok cern ying kuen, then seeing the animals of tiger and crane will show in itself the blend

wow someone is a bit touchy...sorry i didnt read your response clearly enough ..i wasnt writing to correct you just giving info so chill out..

Anyway, back to the question, I think these guys do CLF anyway.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

The Golden Lion Academy teaches both Hung gar & Hung Fut, that's what their site says. They probably call what they teach Hung Kuen(Hung Fist) coz both styles are closely connected with Southern Shaolin Hung Fist & thats were the styles roots are from. Beancurd did a good job of giving a basic idea of the difference between Hung & Fut gar. Fut gar is a very rare style these days & there's not much info out there. However I have found some info on the style on other forums from a student of the Lee family. If ur interested check out www.yaukungmun.com.au go into the discussion forums then go into general discussion then click on Lee gar topic. A guy there has written a lot of info on the style. Also go to www.hungkuen.net this is a forum for Hung gar u can find a lot of good info there. They also have another section there for other southern styles & there was a old thread there on Fut ga with a lot of info. Do a search there for both Fut ga & Hung Fut.
    Both Hung Fut & Hung Gar have excellent reputations. I havn't seen Hung Fut but a friend trains Hung gar & if trained under a good teacher that knows his stuff it's a crazy style. The more my friend trains in the style the more I'm amazed at his skill & the depth of Hung gar.
    Definately go down to the school train & see for urself if u like the style & if the teaching is worth ur time & cash.
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"