Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Drunken Kung Fu

joedoe Guest
    You don't have to flip and fall over to be able to do drunken kung fu. :)

-------------------------------------
    You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Shaolin Master Guest
    True,
    do you practice/know the drunken form of wuzuquan?

regards
    Shi Chan Long

joedoe Guest
    No, but I have seen my sifu do it, and I don't remember seeing any falling or flipping. Then again, there isn't that much acrobatic stuff in Wu Chu Chuan anyway :)

Seeker of the Way Guest

On Drunken Gungfu.

My sifu is a real drunken freak, and teaches it regularly cause he loves watching us stumble around like nuts trying to get it right :cool:

And I can tell you that drunken does NOT (at least not necessarily), include big drops, rolls and other hazardous moves.

The thing with drunken is, that any art can become drunken, you just have to change some of the maneuvers, as well as adding feints and evasions to the stance.

I, for example, have trained some drunken Taiji (which doesn't include a lot of swaying or falling, just some very odd spins and palm swings), drunken 5 animals (Hard as hell, panther and crane always makes me fall over :) ) and then there's drunken Wushu and drunken monkey (which DOES include huge drops and sways).

The point I'm trying to make, is that it does depend on the KF style that you're performing as drunken.. drunken boar wouldn't exactly include a lot of rolling and tumbling, whereas drunken monkey would.

Peace,
    SotW :eek:

"I know Kung Fu."

Rei Guest
    good vids :D

Peace!

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

premier Guest

No offence, but..

COME ON!

That drunken vid was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in my life. The guy is just staggering around the stage, waving his hands, doing some flashy jump kicks and occasionally falling to the ground and doing some stupid acrobatics.

What ever you do, don't think that that BS has anything to do with real drunken styles, which are integrated in traditional CMA like Choy lee fut.

Rei Guest

LOL so true but...

check out the drunken vids from denis and this one other guy under the sandiego comp i think...those are way better ;)

Peace!

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

joedoe Guest

Wen Jin

Shaolin styles do have drunken forms, but I am not sure if there is a seperate style of Shaolin drunken fist.

Sil Lum Palm Guest
    I was under the impression that the Drunken Style comes from the 18 immortals( err maybes it 8 but I think its 18 )and is usually taught to those that show good progress in another system, however I have never witnessed it so I can't say for shure. I don't think many Drunken masters advertise thier art so it may be hard to find an Instructor.
    I do know this, Drunken Fighters are supposed to be some of the best around.. good luck in your training and BE CAREFUL.. training without an Instructor can be very dangerous.

Drunken Monkey Guest

thanx everyone

thanks everyone for your replies. Ill take all aspects into consideration. O, i think it was 8 immortals.

Sil Lum Palm Guest
    sorry I was having a brain elapse, of course it was 8, 18 would be a lot of Immortals.. sorry.

Drache Guest
    Who exactially is the 8 immortials?

Radhnoti Guest

From a book I have...

Li T'ieh Kuai - The limping leader
    Siang Chung Li - Loves wine and represents strength, power and solidity
    Chuang Kuo Lao - oldest immortal represents wisdom, elusiveness and unconventionality
    Li Tung Ping - once a famous poet and scholar, sword became his emblem, represents the dramatic and flamboyant
    Han Hsiang Tze - Can forsee the past and fortell the future. Represents intelligence and precognition.
    Chao Kuo Chiu - Wears a court headdress and official robes symbolizing royalty and free access to the palace. Brings to the style knowledge of other conventional fighting systems.
    Lan Chai Ho - Some legends say this immortal is a young girl, others say a young boy. Represents fleetness and limberness of youth.
    Ho Shian Ku - Only verified female, once a celebrated prostitute to support her family. Represents the feminine or yin aspects of the art.

Hope this helps or was of some interest.

-Radhnoti

ope Guest
    "I've only heard of drunken style being taught within a larger system. The Shaolin Drunken Fist done by the current shaolin monks is the same as that done by modern wushu guys. I don't know anything about drunken fist history."

Brad.. Actually modern wushu drunken is differnt then shaolin traditional if thats what you wanna call it... modern wushu drunken is more focused on show then on proper technqiues and actually fighting...

Brad Guest
    Actualy there is no difference between the monks drunken fist techniques and the modern drunken techniques. The monks shaolin drunken fist is modern drunken fist. That's what I'm saying. How much it is focused on performance or on fighting is based entirely on the individual. The best performers are going to be the ones who have the best basics and understand the movements the best.