Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Drunken Kung Fu

premier Guest
    This is really strange but the form I saw in Jackie Chan's Drunken Master was more reality based than the form in those modern wushu video clips. Strange because the movie kung fu is known for not being realistic. This means that the modern wushu version is something even more unrealistic. A performance art version of it like the beijing opera stuff.

saiyuk8 Guest

Jackie Chan Drunken Form

Jackie Chan Studied many different Styles of gung fu while at the opera . One of these was Choy Li Fut , and to my knowledge , within the advanced stages they have a drunken form that pertains to their style. In an interview he even mentions this is the style he uses hence " Choy Li Fut Drunken Form " . However there are several Drunken Styles that do not pertain to the Shaolin Temple . One being Internal and one being External. Hope this clears some things up ....

saiyuk8 Guest

Choy Li Fut

Here is a little information about The Drunken Form : goldeneaglemac.com

saiyuk8 Guest

New Inside Kung Fu Drunken Article

The newest issue of Inside Kung Fu has a very good article on the foot work of Six Harmonies Drunken Kung fu , the mag does suck but the article is well worth the knowledge .

Inquisitor Guest
    From my research, I have yet to hear of any credible "Drunken Style" that is purely drunken on its own. There are people out there who claim to know "Drunken Fist" (or whatever the hell they want to call it), but it is nothing more than modern wushu. What is worse is that these so-called Drunken Fist masters then use the contemporary wushu routines and try to invent applications for them. It is complete BS. Some of the worst offenders I have seen have articles in Inside Kungfu (and other martial arts magazines). In fact, I remember a recent issue which had a supposed "Drunken Boxing" master showing applications of the style. Not only was it modern wushu, but it was badly done modern wushu, with horrible applications to boot. However, there is mention of a traditional style called the "8 Drunken Immortals," upon which the Jackie Chan movies were based (even though the real Wong Fei Hong only used Hung Gar). I have yet to actually meet someone or hear of someone who legitimately knows the style... The only true "drunken" that exists in traditional kungfu, so far as I know, is found in one or two forms of actual styles. For example, there is a "Drunken Mantis" form in the Northern Praying Mantis system and there is a "Drunken Monkey" form in the Monkey system.

The Willow Sword Guest

drunken monkey

hey there. read the posts ,,heres my wooden nickels worth. how i was taught in the drunken way "its all in the stepping" there is a formal step in the drunken way, once you get it down then the rest will come to you. plus i HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you read a book called OUTLAWS OF THE MARSH. its a great book and will help you with your drunk philosophies. self training is good but get the foundation first of what your are teaching yourself. my opinion it is the drunken stepping, i wish i could show you...

Drunken Monkey Guest

Stepping

Yeah, i was reading and came across Plum Flower Post Training which is: five posts placed with four as the corners and one in the middle and there are certain steps to do and they are supposed to be very good with balance, strength, and speed, or so i understand.

WongFeHung Guest
    Joi Bot Sein-eight drunken immortals is the original form, the shaolin drunken kung-fu were wu-shu sets inspired by the original set. I have been taught one choy li fut joi bot sein, and have seen another, but I am still looking for that one special set. I have a book from China that has the form broken down into 8 sections each representing a particular imortal,> This is what I've always been told the original set was. Only problem is I can't find any info on its origin. I know Lama P'ai has this form as well, but haven't seen it. Most sets utilize the cup hand, but I have also read on a set where the cup hand is the pheonix eye strike and the wine jug hand is the eagle claw combining vital point striking with joint locking. Haven't seen tha form though. Any help in this research would be helpful, but there are tons of guys claiming knowledge on this set, mostly crap.

GeneChing Guest

Drunken Choy Lay Fut

Just happens that this is our cover story on our Jul/Aug 2001 issue on stands now. It features Master Li Siuhung. We also did some drunken pieces last year such as Nov 2000 cover story on drunken wushu master Philip Wong (along with a guide to Chinese wines and a "how to" guide to Chiense drinking games plus we published an 8 Immortals drunken style piece in Sep 2000. We do a lot of drunken style articles around here, but don't let that be indicative of our personalities. ;)

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

[This message was edited by GeneChing on 06-12-01 at 01:01 AM.]

Drunken Monkey Guest

I bought the drunken video from martial arts mart

I wouldn't reconmend this video unless you are planning on scaring your opponents away with your fancy moves :cool:, because from what I understand it is all for show and not for street fighting. But I am thinking of getting the one on drunken choy lay fut.

Dark Knight Guest

Drunken

Green Dragon has a nice form on video. You can find them in Inside Kung fu and other Kung Fu magazines.

Sow Choy Guest

Choy Lay Fut Drunken Form

If anyone is interested in Choy Lay Fut's Drunken Form check out our website:

www.leekoonhungkungfu.com

go to the supply page, we have the drunken form and 2 other videos, Buddha Palm and Dragon Fan for $25 each, or buy 2 get 1 Free. I really like the form alot, it has alot of real good techniques and it's fun to perform and watch.

If you are in the Ft Lauderdale, Florida area Saturday July 14th, Master Li Siu Hung is giving a seminar to learn the Drunken Form. Go to our website for details.

Peace

PlasticSquirrel Guest

zui ba xian quan

zui ba xian quan (drunken eight immortals style), as i know it, is the original drunken style. it was popular from the thirteenth to sixteenth centuries, and well-respected as a traditional style of gong fu. it is broken up into eight different sub-forms for each immortal. not sure what it looks quite like, but i guess it's pretty straight-forward compared to what we'd normally think it would be like. i believe that it is not a style in itself, but a part of the eight immortals system. i found a listing of the forms awhile ago:

1. Eight Drunken Immortals
    2. Di Yi Quan - Jian Cai He
    3. Di Er Quan - He Xian Gu
    4. Di San Quan - Xiang Zhong Li
    5. Di Si Quan - Li Tie Guai
    6. Di Wu Quan - Zhuang Guo Lao
    7. Di Liu Quan - Cao Guo Jiu
    8. Di Qi Quan - Han Xiang Ji
    9. Di Ba Quan - Lu Dong Bin
    10. Di He Quan - Di Tang Gong

leung ting has a book on it available, and also a video that's tough to find.

note that the forms 2-10 are not drunken forms, but rather forms based on the eight immortals (sober ones).

wong fei-hung was said to have had to learn the eight drunken immortals form in his youth as a test, or something. i forgot, though. it's not just something that they made up for the movie, though. remember, that wong fei-hung did not just practice hung gar, but also black tiger as well.

the choy lay fut joi bot sein (i think that's how it's spelled) is also based on the eight drunken immortals (i believe that each has eight movements). also good for applications. i'd like to learn it someday. real neat. i'd go for it.

don't know much of anything about the shaolin drunken form.

drunken wushu forms are pitiful. period. the guys actually stare at the ground, pretending to be drunk, and swing their arms around weakly in ways that are obviously not application-oriented. then they do a bunch of jumps and acrobatics. that's it. totally different from what drunken style is supposed to be about.

it's a shame that drunken style has such a reputation from those wushu guys. :( it has such potential to be as reputable as it was way back.

p.s. is the shaolin zui quan the same as the wushu zui quan that was in the video? i have no doubt that if it was, there should have been more power in the techniques, because that guy was a bit flimsy.

northstar Guest
    The Eight Immortals style is no more, it is a dead style, the only surviving part is the ba xian jian, Eight Immortal Sword, which I believe is pretty popular in China. a

Troy Dunwood Guest

Drunken Eight Immortals Style (The Original)

For imformation regarding authentic Drunken Kung Fu visit www.ying-hung.com