Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kim Kai Fook

Kim Kai Fook

I wondered if anyone knew anything about Kim Kai Fook (see link for picture)

He is mentioned in one of the recent compilations of Bruce Lee’s notes, and apparently he posed for a series of photographs showing one of his forms. I have seen this transposed into line drawings, but don’t recognise it (though this might not be saying much). It was identified as a type of Northern Shaolin. He was possibly connected with one of the Ching Wu schools.

Thanks for your help,

Graculus

http://www.enterbrucelee.com/quotes7.html

Hi Graculus,
    Nice to meet you.

This is interesting. Who is this Sifu. I have seen this photo somewhere. The pose is found in three of the forms I am researching from my system. It is a somewhat common pose, but his is identical to mine.

I will ask some people that may know who he was. Can you tell me where I can see the photo's or line drawing of his form. I would like to compare it to my form Big Buddha Palm.

Do you know anything else about his Kung Fu ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

Hi Buddhapalm,

the drawings I have of the form are from a Japanese book called 'Kakutogi no Rekishi', or 'The History of Martial Arts'. Looking at them again, I found that he is called Chin I Ming (Chin as in gold; I as in number one; Ming as in the dynasty). What that would be in Cantonese I don't know, but the family name is the same i.e. Kim is the same as Chin.

The bibliography gives two books he wrote under that name: 'Shaolin Chuan' and one which I can't read. Checking RW Smith's bibliography in Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts gives us three titles under Chin I Ming:

Shaolin Chuan T'u-Ch'ieh (Illustrated Shaolin Boxing) Kiangsu, 1931
    San-shih-erh Shih Chang Chuan (Thirty-two Forms of Chang Chuan) Hong Kong, 1953
    Wu-tang Chuan-shu Mi chueh (Secrets of Wutang Boxing), 1928

...I presume Bruce Lee came across one of these - the later one most likely- and cut out the picture for his notebook (which is where I first saw it).

Actually, as I write, this name has just rung another bell....

here is a snippet from one of Northern Shaolin's posts
    "Mostly NSL sets were taught by Chin Chia Hsuan and Chin Yi Ming in the CNAS and Kuo Yu Chang taught the upper level senior students."

In that case, it looks as if Chin Yi Ming and Kim Kai Fook are one and the same.

I still don't know anything about him, though.

As for the pictures, I'm not sure where you would be able to see them, but if you are interested, let me know and I should be able to get you a hard copy somehow,

cheers,
    Graculus

Hi Graculus,
    Thanks for the information. It is intriguing. Yesterday I asked an avid martial arts researcher about Kim and showed the picture, he did not recognize the teacher, but will look into it.

Yes NorthernShaolin may know about him. If he does not jump onto this thread I will e-mail him soon.

The name in Cantonese could be Kim Yat Ming or Gum Yut Ming perhaps. Gold can be pronounced Gum or Kam.

Dont blame me if I am wrong. One time my Sifu gave me hell, because I was stupid enough to tell a store owner that this year he would have "more" Sai Gai this year. Idiot me mixed english and Chinese and meant "more good fortune" but sounded like "Mo Sai Gai" which means "No good fortune" or basically a disasterous new year. So dont blame me :-)))

I would love to be able to purchase copies of those pictures somehow. If you ever come across a source my e-mail is teleka@pacbell.net

In the meanwhile I shall keep trying to identify Sifu Kam.

Kindest Regards

Buddhapalm

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

Here is Jing Yiming at practice

Great

Thanks Tainan Mantis,
    Does the book say anything about his particular style ? I would love to know.

Great exersize....no cushions....a tough old man.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

This book goes into great detail on Taidzu Changchuen.
    I will do a thorough translation when I translate General Chi's book as they are related very closely.

Taidzu Changchuen

Hi Tainan Mantis,
    Does Jing Yiming (Kim Kai Fook) practice this Taidzu Changchuen ?

Is it the same person ? It was hard to tell looking at him on the chairs.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

The guy in the book and on the chair is Jing Yiming.
    Ask Mantis 108 what the Cantonese pronunciation is.

Since the book teaches you how to do the form I guess he knew the form.
    On my thread "Ming Dynasty..."
    There is a link to drawings from this book.
    The applications page is from another recent book though.

grand master kim kai fook??

can any one give me some information about this master and some photos of him?
    i have one photo of him:

thanks

Excellent archiving, mickey!

merged now, for your convenience.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More Info

Consider this note from a list of arts that Bruce Lee researched:

(10)北少林拳(NORTHERN SIL LUM):李小龙生前曾花了很大的精力研习过这一“天下第一名拳”,他除了从一部介绍少林和尚习武的录影带 上学习过少林拳外,亦从很多书籍上研修过少林拳,而且他看得最多的一部少林拳书是金佳福(KI M KAI FOOK)先生的一本著作。此外,李小龙生前还喜欢看《少林七十二艺练法》。

Google translation:
    North Shaolin Fist (NORTHERN SIL LUM): Bruce Lee, who had been spending a lot of energy to learning through this "first world boxing," he described apart from a martial arts video on Shaolin monks have studied Shaolin boxing, but also Training too many books from the Shaolin boxing, and he see's a Shaolin boxing up books are Jinjia Fu (KIM KAI FOOK) a book of Mr.. In addition, the Bruce Lee during his lifetime also like to watch "Shaolin Seventy-Arts training method."

Wow, something tells me that translation isnt the best. I dont speak/read Chinese, but I think what its saying is that BL had a book on Shaolin that was written by Kim Kai Fook.

is he had books written by him?
    where i can buy it?

i found this photo in (http://www.kungfulibrary.com/shaolin-hong-quan.htm)

this master is like master kim kai fook
    is this book contain pics of master kim kai fook?

thanks