Thread: What is the best exercie[s] to develop softness?

Question What is the best exercie[s] to develop softness?

What is the best exercie[s] to develop softness?
    How can i improve my softness & sensibility?
    I can do it...

Re: What is the best exercie[s] to develop softness?

Originally posted by Antistati
    What is the best exercie[s] to develop softness?
    How can i improve my softness & sensibility?
    I can't answer the first question, but I can answer the second question. I have my students to fair amount of blind slow-motion sparring. In this exercise, one or both participants keep their eyes closed and spar at about 1/4 speed or less. This forces participants to settle down and pay attention to subtle movement. If they are tense, they cannot sense this very well.

I hope this helps.

-B
    --------------------------------------------
    My posting policy: I have been around and paid my dues. I do not post anything which I am not reasonably certain is true. I use my real name and location, and lay it on the line for all to see. Take my advice or don't take my advice. Learn from my post or don't learn from my post. It matters not to me, but it is there free for anyone that wants it. Just don't ask me to qualify every statement I make, because I will not respond. This is a fruitless exercise.

Good answer. I'd also suggest doing work with just finger pressure. for example work on moving your partner around by just using your fingers. Or work take downs by manipulating his balance points with just your fingers.

Sticking exercises are good too. You can do these with a knife for example. Have your partner feed in slow-ish attacks and all you have to do is contact his arm and stick, softly re-directing.
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev

Quite simply all of them.

Just make sure you always have this in mind no matter what you do. IMHO every training exercise helps develop sensitivity.

Standing post, or standing in wuji to start.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

Greetings..

All good suggestions.. i would also add "reverse abdominal breathing" and DanTien rotations... I also find that standing on bricks (stood on end) and practicing Tai Chi Circles or silk-reeling exercises helps.. As mentioned before, pushing hands blindfolded is a standard in my classes, it helps too.. Another good softening exercise (or training aid) is to find or build an area with 1" +/- stones (like used for landscaping), not rounded but with some points and edges, then practice walking on them barefooted.. you may need to begin with a couple of pair of socks at first but soon you will get to the barefoot stage.. this will help with posture and it stimulates reflexology points.. you can also take those stones and put one on each shoulder and one on the BaHui (top of the head), then practice your forms.. see how long you can go without "dropping your rocks"..

But.. first and foremost, softness begins with the intent to be soft.. not limp, but relaxed and aware.. be like a spring, receive and store energy until you can return it effectively.. the spring is soft at first then quick and powerful as it releases its stored energy..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

One other thing I just remembered - rolling and falling work is very good for softness too. Forward rolls, backwards, sideways, all done soft and slowly. Each time you roll exhale to help you relax.

It's better not to work on mats as they "lie" to you. On a hard floor you will soon learn to be soft"!

To see an expert in action take a look at:

http://www.systemauk.com/video/sor1.mpg

Or for some soft work:

http://www.systemauk.com/video/sovv.mpg
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev

I've work on refining your balance. In just standing or a basic chi gung posture like standing on stake or 3 circles, you want to use the minimum of muscle - gravity should be holding you up in a sense.

Once you are as relaxed as you can go - relax more. It is amazing at how little you need and how much more force people use without needing it.

Basically this is to get you to a totally balanced state. From just a standing posture with both your hands to your sides, lift on hand. If you are relaxed enough you will feel the body want to turn so the structure can compensate for the hand. In a totally balanced state and staying in this state, you could not move any body part without the rest of the body moving as well. Lift your hand and lower it and let the body move to compensate.

That is the basic start, but exercises based on this will refine your balance point. At a totally balanced state, your sensitivity is keen and you'll be working on softness as well. As from a totally balanced state, you are putting yourself and your mass on a fine fulcrum point - if someone were to push you on one side or the other, you will turn (the whole body mass moving as a unit).

I suggest these kind of balance exercises.
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

And the answer is?...

learn how to relax, more and more without the body collapsing.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

great question and thread not sure if I have anything to add but

"first and foremost, softness begins with the intent to be soft"

I really liked that
    Last edited by brassmonkey; 03-09-2003 at 12:03 AM.