Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reiki

reiki

hello everyone
    i have been doing reiki for a couple of years and have a 2nd degree.
    i was wondering how many other people in this forum have any knowledge of the system and what their opinions on reiki are(either good or bad!)
    do you think its healing properties pose a good balance against the destructive potential of the martial arts for example.

Thumbs up

I view martial arts as destructive forces to be balanced only when it comes down to Chinese school of dualism thought.

Reiki to me is like other schools of "laying hands" therapy,I´m a skeptic but it is interesting none the less.
    My personal experiences/study ón reiki indicate some spiritual and political images that I´m not very fond of.

Welcome to the forum(s)´.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

thank you for prompt response and for my welcome!!

i agree with your point about dualism i first got interested in reiki because i thought to myself "well i am learning how to hurt people so the natural balance is to learn how to heal them"

Reiki in my experience is just another form of chi gung the only major difference being that it does not require the intent of mind that one has to develop with chi gung.

what part of the spiritual side of reiki are you not fond of??

i think it is like with most things it can be as spiritual or non spiritual as you want it to be.

whats finland like?!

Thumbs up

" thank you for prompt response and for my welcome!!

i agree with your point about dualism i first got interested in reiki because i thought to myself "well i am learning how to hurt people so the natural balance is to learn how to heal them"

You´re welcome.
    That is a good idea.What art are you learning? Reiki is not your average counterbalancer for MA it would seem to me,if you´re learning kf or related you might be introduced to acupressure,massage etc.
    I´m not telling you to dump reiki of course.

"Reiki in my experience is just another form of chi gung the only major difference being that it does not require the intent of mind that one has to develop with chi gung."

That is an interesting idea.
    I´ve seen some experts refer to reiki as not being as dependent on healer as it goes like in qi-gong (the idea of a healer passing the energy for the patient)
    I think I´m more along your lines since that does not sound like a completely mature idea (lacking in depth)
    In reiki you pass "divine force",call it "ki","chi" if it sounds better for qi-gong,I think that the idea of this universal force is the very same and no different between these two arts of Chinese and Japanese origin.

"what part of the spiritual side of reiki are you not fond of??"
    This is not exactly easy to define but I think it has to do with spirituality overall,symbolics,"masters" (not in many arts do practitioners with training call themselves such) and passing of the energy (in order to use it) from master to student as sort of a graduation etc.
    My knowledge of reiki is limited though,hopefully taken into account.
    I´m myself mostly interested in school medicine but I keep track for alternative methods.

"i think it is like with most things it can be as spiritual or non spiritual as you want it to be."
    A good idea for sure.

"whats finland like?!"
    A harsh European country.
    http://virtual.finland.fi/

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

using reiki a a healer to a patient is the more traditional way of doing things.
    i have " had" reiki for the last 2 years and only done 2 healings most of the time i just do it on myself after training or as a pick me up if i am feeling low on energy or feeling stressed.
    it is particularly good on injuries etc.

finlan looks cool.(excuse the pun!!)

Thumbs up

I see.
    Well I look forward for your posts.

-FC, summer of 2006-

I think reiki is a good thing.

I also think it can work on two levels, one on the not so spiritual level and one on the very spiritual level.

first, the not so spiritual level....

touch is a good healer, actually its a great healer. Sometimes showing compassion for the suffering could help their sickness, or at least help them towards a better recovery and increase their "positivity"

secondly, on a more spiritual level, I also think that reiki if performned by a person whose channels have been properly cleared, can be extremely beneficial. However, the person needs have their channels cleared to receive the energy and transmit it to their patients. Also, even better if the person has been introduced to the "healer" so to speak....

Reiki

It is funny that this has come up, my Sifu and I had a very long discussion about this very same thing. Myself, I have used Reiki for about 10 years now, and have had some very good results with it. Though, I have studied Qi Gong just as long if not longer.

I asked my sifu what his opinion was on Reiki, his response was less than what I expected. He said that Reiki may be good for healing people but that it was very harmful over time to the practitioner. Reason being is that Reiki people believe that the energy used is not their own but from the universe. He said that this is were the problem begins. Because they believe this way, they don't feel the need to build up their own energy before, during or after using Reiki. This results in a loss of qi for the healer. He states that even if you say that their is Reiki is coming from the universe, you are still sending energy from your body just through the idea of touching someone and wanting them healed. In other words just the intent to send energy and heal.

By the way he is an amazing Doctor of Classical Chinese medicine. He made a very interesting statement to me about Reiki healers as well. He said that he personally has treated several Reiki masters and all of them had low heart energy (to put it simply). He believes this to be to the fact that they over time deplete themselves during healings and don't do any kind of qi gong to rebuild their qi.

Now I realize as does he admit, this is only his opinion through his own experiences. But if you think about it, it does make sense.

John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

azwingchun

hello there!!

thats is quite an interesting point i had never taken into account i think replenishing you own energy levels is vitally important.
    mr reiki"master" has had reiki for ages and has given many helaings to people over the years and he has recalled feelings of tiredness and apathy after helaing a particularly ill/unstable person.

self healing is the best way to use reiki in my opinion as you are only enhancing your own levels and getting any bad stuff for your troubles!!

Cool davethedragon

Is reiki just another form of massage? Is reiki a superior form of massage? Does it promote something other massage techniques lack? Just curious. Have a good day.
    xiaotiema

You must charge yourself up in silent meditation on a mountain for 100 hours, to then be ready to administer 10 minutes of quality healing. Or, if you can attain a deep state of meditation in a McDonalds in Ny City, you only need about 10 seconds.

davethedragon

This may be something to pass on to your Reiki Master, he may thank you later.

Anytime when using energy to heal, we always stop when we begin to feel tired or our hands or body feel as if they become cold or cooler, to name a few sensations. And then do some qi gong, to build up our qi again, this protects our own bodies after being possibly drained.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

ROTFLMAO at Nexus.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

View from a sceptic

I practice taichicuan as a martial arts. My approach to qi is as follow. If the classics say swallow heaven's qi to your dantien then, I don't imagine mythtical force going into my dantien. Instead, I tried to do abdominal breathing paying attention to my posture and relaxation. I do imagine air going down to dantien and circulating back to the mouth through my back because in this way, it is easier to control my breathing.

What I notice is that those who come to do taichichuan as health/meditation arts get the least health/mental benefit from the art. Few reiki people come to our class occasionaly but they always leave once they discovered real taichichuan is not what they expects.

This often is to do with their motive. Frankly speaking, majority of them who come to do taijichuan are looking for easy answer to whatever problems (health, social, emotional) they have in life. Once they discover that taijichuan is in fact difficult arts to master, they move on to other thing including other Mac-taichi class where there is no possibility of failiure. My instructor do believe in healing property of qi but he once made comment that those people who get into reiki has type of qi he least wish to receive.

Reiki not only claim to heal (and implicitly imply to solve your whatever emotional problems), there is an added bonus of not using one's own qi. So it tend to attract people who want the easiest way out to their problem.

Since you practice martial arts, you seems not to be the type of people I'm talking about. But to be honest, I don't consider reiki highly mainly because of the type of people who swarm around it.

I disagree but I agree to disagree

Reiki not only claim to heal (and implicitly imply to solve your whatever emotional problems), there is an added bonus of not using one's own qi. So it tend to attract people who want the easiest way out to their problem.
    I admit there ARE many shonky and questionable practitioners out there, but then there are others, albeit a small few....

But, I respect your opinion.