Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jet Li Movie "Danny the dog"

There's nothing wrong with playing Heavies - see Robert Mitchum, Lawrence Tierney, Lee Marvin, etc.. Jet's problem (aside from language) is that he really has no acting skill whatsoever. Neither does Jackie, really, but his slapstick skills more than make up for it. Jet basically has two options - be immobile and rely on the cinematography/makeup/costume etc. to make him appear menacing, or be immobile and rely on all that to make him appear noble. Expressiveness is simply not an option, as far as I can tell.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Chang Style Novice

It's funny, but when I read your post I substituted several of the classic good looking wooden actors into it, and it works out perfectly. Observe:
    Keanu Reeves' problem is that he really has no acting skill whatsoever. Keanu basically has two options - be immobile and rely on the cinematography/makeup/costume etc. to make him appear menacing, or be immobile and rely on all that to make him appear noble. Expressiveness is simply not an option, as far as I can tell.

OR

Kevin Costner's problem is that he really has no acting skill whatsoever. Kevin basically has two options - be immobile and rely on the cinematography/makeup/costume etc. to make him appear menacing, or be immobile and rely on all that to make him appear noble. Expressiveness is simply not an option, as far as I can tell.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

looks interesting at least....

This looks likes a cross between Monkey from Journey to the West and Inu-Yasha.

Jackie's acting

Actually I think Jackie has some acting range, more so than any other kungfu movie star - you need to look at some of his old stuff like Crime Story, Heart of the Dragon or Island of Fire. Jet has had an intersting transition form the fresh faced boy wonder to some dark buddhist avenger.

And as for Roselyn, well, we're eager to see more of her snoopy in Rush Hour 3.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Kenso - makes perfect sense to me! I could go the rest of my life without seeing those two guys again.

Gene - really? I guess I haven't seen the movies where Jackie shows his range then. For me, though, the real test of whether an 'action star' of any stripe is also an actor is when he or she makes a movie without any action in it.

For example -

Burt Lancaster in "The Flame and the Arrow" and "The Train" is brilliant. He is equally brilliant, maybe more so, in "The Swimmer" and "Atlantic City." Burt Lancaster, BTW, bears special comparison to Jackie Chan, as he was a brilliant physical actor, a sex symbol, a terrific physical comedian, and trained for years as an acrobat in a circus before going into the movies and did all his own stunts. Can Jackie Chan do the equivalent of "The Swimmer" or "Atlantic City" or even "Local Hero"? Could be, I haven't seen him try to stretch that far. I'm almost positive that Jet can't do it, though.

Edit - and just in case Kenso was implying that I might have a racial issue here, I'll cite Toshiro Mifune and Chow-Yun Fat as asian action stars with superb acting chops as well. I think Mifune did his own stunts, too.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 03-18-2003 at 10:32 AM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.