Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wuxingquan

Wuxingquan

Hi all,

Does anyone here practice wuxingquan? Where? With whom?

Nobody?

Never heard of it. Sorry.

More details?
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Cool A hearty welcome to the forums and a question or two.

Do you mean from Hsing-I or another system? Where are you learning this?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

A friend of mine in New Zealand said she practiced Wu Xing, but she never got very far in the system. Never really knew much about it.

There was a poster around a little while back called WuXing who practiced Wu Xing Quan.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Is this 5 star boxing?

Is this like Xing Qi, seven star boxing?

Wu Xing would be five elements boxing. I think the Wu Xing guy who posted here did a branch of White Ape (Tongbeiquan) that also goes by the name Wu Xing Quan.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Wuxingquan can refer to the Xingyiquan practice of five elements, but I am referring to Shaolin Five Animals. These are often confused since they share the same Chinese name. I should have said "Five Animals".

I began learning it years ago in the military from a couple of H2H instructors there, been practicing on my own since then. Hard to find anyone that teaches it as its own style/system.

are you kidding?

Southern Five Animals Shaolin is one of the most widely-known kung fu systems there is.

Re: are you kidding?

Originally posted by carly
    Southern Five Animals Shaolin is one of the most widely-known kung fu systems there is.
    I wished this was true but it hasn't been what I have found. Almost everybody knows ABOUT it, but I haven't found too many people that actually practice it except as bits and pieces of another style. When I was in China it was pretty easy to find but not here. I have only found two instructors and I have no idea where they are any more. If it was well-known I should be able to find at least a few people here that study it, no?

Carly, is that what you study?

no, I don't study it

I guess it depends on where "here" is for you. What part of the world are you in? Is there no Hung Gar school near you?

it's also well-documented

You should at least be able to find lots of books and tapes to keep you busy until you can find a sifu again.

Sorry, I thought you meant Hsing-I, Five Elements fist and Five Elements Chi Kung.

Ummm, as far as Southern Five Animals, you might try here in Los Angeles where Ark Wong taught for about 40 years. I know his Grandson teaches and I know of a few others that spent more than 10 years with Ark himself as well as a Southern Mantis school where they start with Southern Five Animals. I'd say it's pretty common here. Where do you study it?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I've seen a few books and videos but they have all been pretty crappy and/or full of stuff I already know. I'm just practicing what I already know at this point and just really need to find someone who is better than me to help me push myself ****her. I feel like I'm about as good I'm going to get until I find a good instructor. I've been doing a lot of sparring with other MAists and have been doing well but I don't feel like I'm really getting any better at my style specifically.

I could go to LA but would rather not. I'm pretty much just free-wheeling it right now. I can go where ever. Thats why I'm asking.