Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Something to ponder.

OT: Something to ponder.

Hi.

I know this article is JMA related, but I like what they Guy has to say.

Article

I think the basic principles will also apply to CMA Kwoons.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

Interesting article. My fiance's sister joined a Shotokan dojo about 18 months ago and within 6 months had climbed a few belts and was invited into the black belt club. This meant that she was fast-tracked to get a black belt, but also meant that they used her as an assistant instructor - without pay. I forwarded the URL to her to see what she thinks .
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Any concept of "fast-tracking" in the martial arts is so far against the principles of the arts that it makes a joke out of the whole thing.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Yeah, but her school was the best because the Chief Instructor was the NSW Junior Karate coach, and Shotokan is the best style, and ...
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Originally posted by joedoe
    Yeah, but her school was the best because the Chief Instructor was the NSW Junior Karate coach, and Shotokan is the best style, and ...
    *YAWN*
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Laughing Cow

Your post is not Off Topic.

This is a very good point to bring to attention.
    I've seen it several times during my years in the M.A.

I won't say what style it was at the time but I had to pay extra for

every belt ranking (and there were a lot, like, light blue, dark blue,gold,tan,)$40
    wooden dummy class $45
    weapons class$45
    sash $15
    seminars $300
    special training class $100
    ETC.

I guess this is where the term McDojo came from.
    If theres money to be made anything will be Exploited!

Martial Arts Sells
    It's big bussiness.
    It's Exploited.
    Just keep you eye out for these phoneys and shop around.
    good luck.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

P.S.
    There are a lot of good Honest schools out there.
    You just have to find them.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

Originally posted by Serpent

*YAWN*
    It's actually kinda amusing because she had a bit of a falling out with the management (they treat you good when you are new, but then kinda forget about you when you have been there a while) and she is looking around at other schools. She came along to one of my classes to see what we do, but I don't think she will join up - Karate is a lot crisper

LOL. "Crisper"!

To be honest I don't think she really knew what she was looking at

"When the student is ready..."

and so on and so forth.

It's sad this sort of thing happens, but no one who has been in MA for a while is suprised. I'm certainly not. It's a problem throughout all styles, but it's sickening when you hear about it nonetheless.
    K. Mark Hoover

St jean sur richelieu (Montreal south shore)

Whats wrong with fast tracking???

I dont see what people have againts others that can rise in ranks faster then others. Like.. in chinese styles we dont HAVE belts americans just put them there for 1 money 2 to get fat ego's

So basicaly... either your good..or your not... no need for this black belt 4th dan stuff

Im Shodan in Kendo.. took me a year not even and this years in going for ni dan. Doesnt mean that i BUY belts hell the JKF usualy dont let peopel try out for it until its been two years training or so. Got a few strings pulled and they let me try out for it. Passed with flying colors.

If you dont let ur skills get to ur head, then nothing is wrong. If u brag and flaunt it then mayb e ur jsut not mature enough to get the ranks u were giving.. I hate belts.. we dont wear them.. and god forbid being a red sash black stripe in wushu Anyways

just my two cents worth

Peace!

Tiger_Yin.

"Fast-tracking" here means that People get given/sold a belt and rank when they are not ready for it.

In many Dojo's I been to you often can skip being a white-belt and start as a yellow for a nominal fee.

Most of those places the actual test are a joke filled with lots of garbage and hardly anybody ever fails.

And within 2~3 years we got qualified Instructors who would get beaten by a Tae-bo guy.
    Witty signature under construction.

Thumbs up

i never made it to black belt - i was 1st Kyu for 8 years. Kinda funny, coz i knew up to Nidan level and regularly trounced shodan and Nidan in kumite

i did used to teach, but thats coz it was a community club and we didnt have to pay for anything.

Joedoe: but karate comes from Ngo Chor Kuen...

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.